Quantcast

Durable tire for commuting

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Well the tires I have on my commuter right now are due for retirement. So that leaves me with needing a good tire for commuting. Priorities are:
1. Puncture-resistant, I hate changing flats
2. Durablity (sidewall construction, etc)
3. Wet/crappy weather ride quality
4. Price
5. Weight

I've done some searching, and it looks like the Specialized Armadillo, Michelin Axial Carbon, and Conti Gatorskin are the 3 tires that would meet these needs. Seems to be some issued with durability on the conti's and the Specialized seem to be bulletproof. Any reason why I shouldn't lean towards those?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Take a look at the Rivendell Ruffy-Tuffys . The price isn't bargain basement, but they're a bargain. They last forever, ride well in the wet, and aren't a total pig.

Armadillos and Gatorskins are also good tires. They're a step up in the puncture-proof scale, but they're heavier and not quite as, uh, supple.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Nate at RIT said:
... Michelin Axial Carbon;
On my second set now.
I ride on suburban roads, not too rough in many places...
Lasted 2500 miles & although I like them, for my commute I'm thinking something more long lasting next time...

EpicRide

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Bay Area
My longest-lived tires were Continental 2000s, I've gone weeks without flats( riding an average of 150 miles per week). They're also what I have on my bike right now..

My shortest-lived tires were Continental 1000s. They last around 600 miles.

I have also had good luck with Vredestein and Michelin tires, but they can be a bit expensive. Buy them on sale at Performance..

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
i run the michelin carbons on my fixed commuter, and they hold up fine for me, haven't really had any problems with flats.
my roadbike has a set of their ironmans (which is the same as the prorace, cept different color scheme), that i got as a demo that michelin sent to the shop i work at. and i have had one flat in 2400 miles. they are pretty pricey though.

haven't ridden the gatorskins but i hear good things about them.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
I have been using some Maxxis Detonators and they seem to wrok very well...they are listed as a training tire with great durability and I must agree that I have had no issues and the tread is holding up well.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
this summer, we rode Conti 2000s, some Panaracers, Specialized Armadillos, Michies (various), and some Bontys. by far, the most durable tire was the Speccy. some people went 2000mi without a flat. we were on all types of roads, including dirt, and chip-seal.

damn, this thread is old