Quantcast

Dust to glory

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
did you see the full thing stik? I went last night with your friend a13x and it was a blast. It felt alittle long in some parts, i wished it followed the actual race a bit more but reguardless that was an amazing movie. I had no idea that they keep the roads open for the whole thing! and that mouse guy is just unreal

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Piper...have not seen it yet...I want to, bad. I have been down to the race before and it was an experience...I am not even into off road trucks, but going to the event was cool, and this movie looks great. I am really into the story behind the racers and the races kinda guy...sometimes I can do without "action" footage.
I got sent step into liquid last year on dvd....never seen it...maybe i should.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
4 helicopters, 80 person crew, sponsored by adobe.

MTB world will never see it. I guess riders like to watch cheesy productions filmed by 1 or 2 guys on handycams. Looks like overproduced home videos for the most part.

Maybe someone can hire the discovery channel guys to do a world cup documentary, they do a killer job with the eco challenge.

BTW was the imax DH movie any good? I saw an indy film way back at a film festival called 2 seconds. About a messenger that races Dh at mammoth..mercedes did the stunt work..the footage of the racing was actually really good (the movie sorta sucked tho). Helicopters following riders down the kamikaze etc..they actually made it exciting.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Step into Liquid was beautifully filmed and edited. We watched it in TV Productions a while ago and I thought it was great. I am definately going to see Dust to Glory.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stiksandstones said:
Can we get someone to film a DH movie like this please?
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/dusttoglory/dust2glory_full.html

Full trailer, even better
http://www.d2gfilm.com/home/
:D

I plan on seeing it this weekend! It opens in Seattle on Friday(tomarrow)

Then in less than two weeks I am going to the Supercross in Seattle :heart: We haven't had the SUpercross here in over 5 years. :thumb:

Last weekend I worked my motorcycle clubs 100 mile desert race....so this Baja coverage should blend in nicely.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
OH sure it's all the cali dates on the same day pretty much, when I'm on the other side of the country. It's kinda amazing how many east coast dates there are when really no one over there really as a clue about desert racing other than they know of the baja 1000.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Zutroy said:
OH sure it's all the cali dates on the same day pretty much, when I'm on the other side of the country. It's kinda amazing how many east coast dates there are when really no one over there really as a clue about desert racing other than they know of the baja 1000.
You might say the same thing about NASCAR. :D I mena WTF? People out here seem to like it though it is quite a drive from WA to a race. :)

That I love watching Paris to Dakar though I live nowhere near that terrain. Though WA does have a large desert East of the mountains....it is nothing like Africa. :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Dana Brown is a brilliant film maker, I guess it helps that he learned his craft from his Dad Bruce Brown.

There have been some DH films that IMO could have been shown at Sundance. I think if one did well there it could bring some much needed attention and $$ to the sport.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
RhinofromWA said:
You might say the same thing about NASCAR. :D I mena WTF? People out here seem to like it though it is quite a drive from WA to a race. :)

That I love watching Paris to Dakar though I live nowhere near that terrain. Though WA does have a large desert East of the mountains....it is nothing like Africa. :D
Yeah true, but i lived out there till recently, and I can tell ya not many people know about it. NASCAR has the advantage of TV coverage ever race. Just suprized it's not showing out west more than it is.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i dont know anything about desert racing but that doesnt mean i cant enjoy it.
i guess there were only 8 people at it the first night and i went with like 10 friends and there were probably only 10 other people there the 2nd night, definitly a bummer. theres so many gearheads out there that would have loved it

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
I raced the 1000 from 1988-1992 for Kawasaki and this movie looks to be as close to being there as you can get. You cant understand what it is like to go 117 on a KX 500 across the dez unless you have done it. I have not seen the film yet but i cant wait.
The best feeling for a racer is crossing the finish in La Paz after 1000 miles of racing.
Roger

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Pip3r said:
i dont know anything about desert racing but that doesnt mean i cant enjoy it.
i guess there were only 8 people at it the first night and i went with like 10 friends and there were probably only 10 other people there the 2nd night, definitly a bummer. theres so many gearheads out there that would have loved it

I agree totally, it's just going to be a tough sell in those markets, to get people to see it. I think most people would love it if they did.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Here is a local review....he was kinda brutal on Mr Brown :) I will see for myself tonight!

Baja thrill ride keeps documentary cameras busy in "Dust to Glory"
By Ted Fry

Don't be surprised by a dry, tickling sensation in the back of your throat as you come out of the slam-bang racing documentary "Dust to Glory." It may well be from the lingering sand and silt spewed from the knobby wheels of an array of fossil-fuel-gulping machines that skitter from one end of California's Baja Peninsula to the other.

More likely it's from the parched narration by director Dana Brown, whose gee-whiz commentary about the 2003 cultlike Baja 1000 contest is as listless as an ESPN-addicted couch potato.

Even though Brown should have had the sense to fire himself as scriptwriter and narrator, what he has assembled goes a long way toward compensation. Using 90 cameras in a variety of formats, he captures the giddy danger of the race with truly visceral force. Brown peppers the abundant action footage with amusing sketches of its motley squadron of participants.

In 1967, a few California thrill-seekers had the Eureka spirit to take their homemade race cars for some whooping-up in the wide-open land just a few hours away. Since then, the Baja 1000 has turned into a party-fueled happening that's more akin to Burning Man than the Indy 500.

It's billed as the world's longest nonstop race, running point-to-point for 1,000 miles through the Mexican desert from Tijuana to La Paz — pretty much the entire length of the Baja Peninsula.

It includes everything from tricked-out trophy pickup trucks to homemade dune buggies. The purse is a paltry $4,000, but the contenders aren't in it for the money, they're there for the stories they'll have about the ordeal.

Brown is the son of Bruce Brown, whose 1966 film, "The Endless Summer," sparked a surfing craze. It still holds up as an incomparable ode to the existential surfing lifestyle and document of a very specific brand of social anthropology. Brown collaborated with his dad in 1994 on the script for "The Endless Summer 2," then tried his hand at directing with "Step Into Liquid," which continued the family obsession with goofy-footers and was a fine, arty effort in itself.

"Dust to Glory" is by no means so profound and has more of a Warren Miller ethos about it (he of the annual throwaway extreme-skiing films). It's nothing if not a cinematic thrill ride that could only have been enhanced by the IMAX treatment. Cameras swoop down from helicopters, careen through silt and are put into tracks over which vehicles pass at extreme speeds.

Again, as if making up for his tepid narration, Brown does a terrific job editing.

In spite of the adrenaline rush, "Dust to Glory" is ultimately more about what people think about the higher implications of the competition.

One veteran finisher describes it this way: "It's like having all 10,000 close calls of your life in one day. It makes regular life feel like slow-motion."

Ted Fry: tedfry@earthlink.net

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Romic tech said:
I raced the 1000 from 1988-1992 for Kawasaki and this movie looks to be as close to being there as you can get. You cant understand what it is like to go 117 on a KX 500 across the dez unless you have done it. I have not seen the film yet but i cant wait.
The best feeling for a racer is crossing the finish in La Paz after 1000 miles of racing.
Roger
Sweet! I can't imagine 1000 miles.....

longest i have raced is 100. :eek: Fastest bike (top end) that I have ridden was my fathers 86 Maico (M Star at the time) 500cc dirt bike. With it's wide ratio tranny the tallest gear was never used even in the Eastern WA desert. I did have it on a logging road and barely touched the last gear. I thought my YZ250WR was fast on top.....

The Mstar's RPM dropped way down....and then the bike began to PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL. I experienced tunnel vision unlike nothing I have seen before. I have no idea how fast I was going but I was shocked to have the "extra" gear and see how fast that old bike would go. It was the last of the air cooled beasts. :love: To much for the Western WA rain forests and the Cascade mountain range....but a torque beast that never fell flat no matter what hill you tried to climb or gear you tried to pull. :cool:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Damn True said:
Seeing it tonight.
Will report back.

Saw it last night, was awesome. Great footage, i liked the narration. I friend of mine that knew nothing about desert racing went with us, and she loved it, so it's a good film for eveyone i think.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Zutroy said:
Saw it last night, was awesome. Great footage, i liked the narration. I friend of mine that knew nothing about desert racing went with us, and she loved it, so it's a good film for eveyone i think.
Agreed.

I have only a little desert experience....WA state and OR. But I feel the movie capture a lot of excitement of the racing.

I liked the naration and interviews. Racing is as much about the people as the race itself. Something I feal that modern MTB videos kind of lack.

"Mouse" McCoy(sp?) was inspirational! Ironman the whole thing and finishing where he did.....crazy. I felt like I was right there with the motorcycle racers....I can get into that stuff. :D

The photage was great....onboard, 'coptor, chase rigs, etc. I really like the night racing shots....and the poof dirt(what we call it up in WA) or the talc dust.

Both my buddy (riding with him since we were 5yo) and I were impressed afterwords.

It was fun and the theater we went to had over 100-150 people for the night show.

2 :thumb:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
Here is a local review....he was kinda brutal on Mr Brown :) I will see for myself tonight!

Saw it last night.
A-freakin-mazing!

First of all the reviewer clearly has never seen Endless Summer I & II, nor On any Sunday, nor Step into the Liquid.
Brown does it the way he does it because he learned from his Dad.

The "skits" as she described were not staged funny business, but silly ironic things that happen in the course of an epic race.

The footage was unreal. The drama of that race is unmatched.
a couple of examples:
The Honda A & B team riders within 30 seconds of each other and swapping the lead 5+ times over 1000 miles...unreal.
Mouse McCoy doing a solo shot of the 1000. Yes, I said solo! He finished in 18hrs (quick math tells us that is an average of over 55mph!) and came in 12th overall!
The entire trophy truck division stopped by the Federales....for.....are you ready for this.........speeding! And the ensuing mele after the entire group with their 30sec differentials is released on the course en masse.

Oh my god I want a Trophy Truck!

I took my GF who had no knowledge of the sport other than of its existance, she was blown away by it. She was totally charged by the technology of the trophy trucks and buggies, the sheer toughness of the moto guys (particularly Mouse) and the determination of the class 11 (stock VW) class.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Damn True said:
Saw it last night.
A-freakin-mazing!

The "skits" as she described were not staged funny business, but silly ironic things that happen in the course of an epic race.
Yeah some wierd stuff happens durring races. :)

The footage was unreal. The drama of that race is unmatched.
a couple of examples:
The Honda A & B team riders within 30 seconds of each other and swapping the lead 5+ times over 1000 miles...unreal.
Mouse McCoy doing a solo shot of the 1000. Yes, I said solo! He finished in 18hrs (quick math tells us that is an average of over 55mph!) and came in 12th overall!
Don't forget the little delay he had .....at night....with his helmet cam on...:thumb:

The entire trophy truck division stopped by the Federales....for.....are you ready for this.........speeding! And the ensuing mele after the entire group with their 30sec differentials is released on the course en masse.

Oh my god I want a Trophy Truck!

I took my GF who had no knowledge of the sport other than of its existance, she was blown away by it. She was totally charged by the technology of the trophy trucks and buggies, the sheer toughness of the moto guys (particularly Mouse) and the determination of the class 11 (stock VW) class.
Those stock cars are freaking crazy....I laughed whole time! True race enthusiasts.

Hey DT, check out some shots of my motorcycle clubs race/poker run weekend (April 2&3) These are just the poker run and mini(kid) race shots....so far. He hasn't put up the race shots yet.

http://trav.smugmug.com/gallery/470407/3/19078962

The event galleries
http://trav.smugmug.com/community/StumpjumpersDesert100

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Incredible movie, I also do not know a lot about off road racing, but that was some of the most amazing footage I have ever seen, I was blown away

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Dude, how about Mario Andretti.
Never seen an off road race truck in his life and just RAILS it.
....and his comment when the thing dies while the other dude was driving...."You didn't go fast enough. If you'd gone faster we'd be there already."

Classic! Mario is THE MAN!

cadman

Chimp
Jan 2, 2002
So Cal, Orange county
I'm stoked to see some monkeys here that have desert experience. I raced District 37 for about 5 years and had the opportunity to race Barstow to Vegas. If I'm ever able to get my finances in order I'd get back into racing in a heart beat.
Thats cool Mouse did the 1000. I used to wonder what happened to him. He used to be my downstairs neighbor in Huntington Beach and would race up and down the street with his room mate on a couple of old BMW motorcycles.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
cadman said:
I'm stoked to see some monkeys here that have desert experience. I raced District 37 for about 5 years and had the opportunity to race Barstow to Vegas. If I'm ever able to get my finances in order I'd get back into racing in a heart beat.
Thats cool Mouse did the 1000. I used to wonder what happened to him. He used to be my downstairs neighbor in Huntington Beach and would race up and down the street with his room mate on a couple of old BMW motorcycles.
Stood Next to Jonah Street (Former Honda offroad team and Red Bull KTM Dakar contest rider) last weekend at my clubs desert 100 race in WA state. He tore it up on a KTM 450(I think). He was scary-smooth and fast. He passed the water crossing I was working pumping his arm and kicking his legs up just goofing around...:D

Never had a chance to race desert down in the SW. Had to work with what WA and OR had to offer. Mostly raced harescramble type events.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I missed the local premiere becasue of a wedding but I plan to either catch it in SC or SB on the 22nd. I have been waiting for this film for over a year now. :thumb:

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
just watched the trailer. i got chills listening to the guys talk about racing. can't wait to see it. i'm gonna bring my girlfriend, hopefully she'll enjoy it. i've tried to make her watch a couple MTB vids, but she's not to in to them. hopefully she'll appreciate the awesomeness of a film like this. can't wait :drool:

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
For all the moto guys i raced the National Hare & Hound last weekend. It was 80 miles here in so.cal desert. I was running in the top 20 on the first loop then i got stuck once and fell once. I got pretty tired about the 65 mile mark and faded back to 45th overall and 4th in class. Still sore today but getting ready to race mtb at fontana this weekend.
Roger

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
It's awesome to see more and more people become interested in a sport that deserves much recognition. I think that Dana did an excellent job documenting the true stories and drama that go on during every race. A couple of things I noticed: The movie gives "mouse" credit for doing the 1000 solo, it has been done before...In fact it was accomplished by a rider from Tecate on last years course which was about 350 miles longer than the one documented..(Yeah Ensenada to La Paz). But it is still an extraordinary feat and I give Mouse much credit. The class 11 racers are shown in an almost comical way. Most people would assume that it is easy or does not take much to get into this class..Well, a class 11 takes well over $20,000 to build :eek:..

It was a little awkward to see people in a movie that I see every time I go down to a race....From the guy who builds our engines, the family who lived down the street from us, the kid who scared the crap out of me while I was riding in his car and even my dad!!

I encourage all Monkeys to go down to Mexico and watch an Off Road race; it is truly something that you must experience first-hand. The 500 is coming up June 4-5 in Ensenada. :thumb:

-ALF