Quantcast

DV cams and other goodies...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
After seeing all these cool movies posted, I'm thinking about getting a mini DV cam for X-Mas. I've got all the editing goodies already so why not?

I haven't started any research or anything so it's pretty much a blank page here.

Any suggestions on what would be good for riding?
Tape vs. mini DVD?
Stableshot kind of options?
etc....
I'll probably keep it under a grand and would like to rig a helmet cam eventually. So It'll need somekind of RCA, s-video or BNC input to hook up the remote optics.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Couple things I've learned:

1. You need a camera with video INPUTs to use a helmet cam. Generally these are the higher end cameras.

2. Steadyshot does NOT work when using the helmet cam, because you are just taking a raw video signal and saving it to the tape.

3. I got a nice JVC miniDV camera for about $400 because I bought last year's model instead of the latest.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I dont have one but have shot with 3 different types.... a sony mini-DV (not sure of the model but it had a Zeis lens & a ccd & it looks the best), a JVC (dont know the model but it is cheap) & a hi-8. if you look at the vid i posted you can tell a difference in eac of the cameras. all of the bright crisp shots were with the Sony & the ****ty looking shots were hi-8...the rest were the JVC (not too shaby for a $350 cam).

I would deffinetly stick to mini DV.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Echo said:
Couple things I've learned:

1. You need a camera with video INPUTs to use a helmet cam. Generally these are the higher end cameras.

2. Steadyshot does NOT work when using the helmet cam, because you are just taking a raw video signal and saving it to the tape.

3. I got a nice JVC miniDV camera for about $400 because I bought last year's model instead of the latest.
Maybe I'll hold off on the Helmet cam idea. I just thought it looks cool sometimes to follow somebody on a run instead just seeing them hit a single jump or whatever.

Or I could get a cheapy and duct tape it to the side of my head. :rolleyes:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
do NOT get a canon. I got a Canon zr65 for my wedding/cruise and the audio quality was total ass, it couldnt pick up any sound more than 10 feet away. the pictures were ok outside, but side shots with low light were junk. if you are getting a DV, dont skimp, you get what you pay for

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I think I'll go to try 'em in the store. Start recording and shake the Sh!t out of it to see if the MiniDVD ones screw up. Can't wait to see the look on the sales guys face!

jamesjbigler

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Alpharetta, Ga
DVNT you can borrow my setup sometime if you want to test it out.

I have a little sony helmet camera.

http://www.helmetcamera.com

I record it's output on my mini DV Canon ZR45MC. I made a simple case that fits in my camelback for the mini dv camera out of some tupperware. I also have this little wired remote that attaches to my camelback to start and stop recording.

The helmet cam footage is okay. Here is an example

http://www.mashermovies.com/movies/submitted/fantasy_island.mov

Kinda gives you a little motion sickness if you don't drink a couple beers before you start editing. You can get some more info at fagerlin's site.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Thanks! I'll take you up on that!

I was thinking it would be great to document the Freeride park at CP and make short vids of riding there! Possibly call it CPR or something goofy like that.

jamesjbigler

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Alpharetta, Ga
DVNT said:
Thanks! I'll take you up on that!

I was thinking it would be great to document the Freeride park at CP and make short vids of riding there! Possibly call it CPR or something goofy like that.
That sounds cool. We should document some of the construction too! I will send you a PM with my contact info.

DVNT said:
I think I'll go to try 'em in the store. Start recording and shake the Sh!t out of it to see if the MiniDVD ones screw up. Can't wait to see the look on the sales guys face!
I wouldnt even look at one of the miniDVD deals... they are designed so the average guy can shoot and play directly on his dvd player, hence they are going to record in the mpeg2 format. If your going to be editing using the standard DV editors then miniDV is the only format you should be looking at.

J

JRB

caboverpete - funny handle - I should have used 1 stack mack with a shack on the back.

J

JRB

caboverpete said:
ha... ive used this handle all over the net for years and your the first one to know what it was. bravo.

We had a 72 model at the grain elevator that was thief proof. It was awesome. Harley emblems all over. When you cranked it, you had to build air for an hour. Then you had to bash the button and stomp the brake at the same time to release the brakes. It was a pile. I loved it. :thumb: