Quantcast

e-speculation on new demo

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Go talk to your local Specialized dealer for more info.

We've recieved our 2011 dealer packets and pricing. The info is also available on IBD Specialized site for every bike including the Evo models, Demo, Camber and more.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I will speculate that it is the first Demo I have really lusted after. Last years was good but with a 150mm back end and an 83mm BB it is that bit better. I have just got a new bike but I'd see this as a prime contender for its replacement (when that day comes, hopefully be into 2012 product by then)

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
I will speculate that it is the first Demo I have really lusted after. Last years was good but with a 150mm back end and an 83mm BB it is that bit better. I have just got a new bike but I'd see this as a prime contender for its replacement (when that day comes, hopefully be into 2012 product by then)

thats what im going for also, i always like the feel of the bike... i just couldn't do it with the spacings.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Not speculation but actual info from their 2011 catalogue:

Partial Demo 8 Spec:

150mm rear end
BB30 interface
83mm BB
SRAM BLACKBOX Cranks (can't remember the specific name)
2011 Boxxer WC
2011 FOX RC4
Spesh hubs
SRAM/Avid Elixr brakes
Spesh 2.3" Butcher Tires

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Got to play around with my friend's 2011 Demo yesterday at Northstar. Bone stock. Not a great picture, but you get the idea. The reddish-orange color is really, really bright. Bordering on fluorescent.

The new Truvativ cranks (called the Descendant I think) look pretty nice, essentially a beefed-up Stylo. Brakes are pretty snazzy too: new Code calipers with carbon X.O levers.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I feel like those weights are misleading based on the wheels that come on these bikes. For your average hack rider (like me), DT's all-mountain rims aren't gonna hold up very well under normal DH conditions. Wish Specialized would spec some more durable wheelsets on the Demo.

Also, anyone notice the stems are different on the two models pictured above? (Funn on the more expensive model, Truvativ on the other.) Seems like a strange place to differentiate between the higher-end and lower-end bikes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
they come stock with 2.3's? are butchers super wide compared to other specialized offerings?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Spesh 2.3's are pretty beefy and are comparable to a Maxxis 2.5" The new Butchers will probably be similar in volume to the 2.3 Clutch/Chunders since they will most likely be utilizing the same casing.

If I'm not mistaken - these are pre-production bikes and not meant to be enitrely representative of the final production run. From what I understand, I don't think the black/yellow paint scheme will be making it to production. The options will be red/white, black/floro yellow (green like that on the Hill signature frames) and red/black/white... shame if that's true because the black/yellow scheme looks BADASS... esp. if you threw some DeeMax Ultimates on there.

EDIT: Actually it could be that the colors in the catalogue might be off on the Yellow/Green color options... their "floro yellow" sure as hell looks green to me on paper.

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i really hope the black and yellow is an option. i wouldn't mind getting a complete just for the color. lol.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Spesh 2.3's are pretty beefy and are comparable to a Maxxis 2.5" The new Butchers will probably be similar in volume to the 2.3 Clutch/Chunders since they will most likely be utilizing the same casing.
Yah, I asked because I'm on a set of 2.5 clutch's and going narrower wouldn't really work for any of the DH trails I ride - rocks and 2.3's just don't track well, and end up bouncing around a lot and deflecting more frequently. Specialized usually has their build kits pretty set (save the rims as dexterq pointed out), it would surprise me if they're trying that hard to hit weight that they would sacrifice performance.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
DT rims are not the strongest, but they are light. Obviously not the best choice for rocky, fast tracks.
Black&gold will be an option on Demo l. (other option will be black&red)
No more Fox DHX 4.0 on Demo l, Fox Van R insted.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
DT rims are not the strongest, but they are light. Obviously not the best choice for rocky, fast tracks.
Dont worry Carbon rims may be on the horizon from the big S as well!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
its actually the new Fox Van RC. good shock. should be a big contender for the entry level shock market. its gonna make waves, works very nicely.

mtb-sam

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
East, TN
2011 Demo 8 1 has really caught my eye - especially if it weighs in at 38lbs.

Does anybody know if the graphics on the rims and front fork will be removable? (stickers?) or are they actually clear coated over?

-sam

Attachments

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well almost any company making rims has light am rims ;) Thats not really saying mutch if they are durable. Imho complete bikes should be durable over super dooper light so people who buy completes had some use out of them(ie. typical weekend warrior types with less technique).

Old lapierre builds were good examples of good strenght to weight ratios (except for the dhx air) - 823 rims on a bit heavier syncros hubs, than deemax. All for around what higher demo models retail in europe.