Quantcast

Eastern States Cup Downhill Series

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
will the other trails be open on sun to ride? I am only coming up on sun and want to get my $60 worth. I figure I will only get 2 runs in during the hr practice time and plus my race run. 3 runs / $60 = $20 per run. if I can get some other "fun runs" in during the afternoon that would make it worth my while to drive 2.5 hrs.

Mount Snow

Gateway to Vermont
Apr 21, 2010
will the other trails be open on sun to ride? I am only coming up on sun and want to get my $60 worth. I figure I will only get 2 runs in during the hr practice time and plus my race run. 3 runs / $60 = $20 per run. if I can get some other "fun runs" in during the afternoon that would make it worth my while to drive 2.5 hrs.
Absolutely. Our other riding trails will be open all day on Sunday.

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
I heard the Pro prize money was a measly $90. That doesn't even cover the cost of the trip. A lot of Pro riders make their living from riding and expect to come out ahead for a 1st place pro finish. $90 is a joke.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
think the weather and course deterred a lot of ppl, there were only 8 of us in pro and 70 riders total so not a whole lot of prize money taken from the entry fees.. i thought the course was fun and had a blast despite the downpour during the race

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
Unfortunately the course can be the most fun in the US, but with no prize money to speak of you wont get any Pro riders. There needs to be a fixed purse to attract the best riders and without the best riders this series will die a quick death. How many Pro do you expect to get next time?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Unfortunately the course can be the most fun in the US, but with no prize money to speak of you wont get any Pro riders. There needs to be a fixed purse to attract the best riders and without the best riders this series will die a quick death. How many Pro do you expect to get next time?
The races have been going on forever at that mtn and seemed to not be going away. The prize $ come from the entry fee and the rain was a known thing ahead of time so it was a poor turn out. Not only was some money given out but a bunch of cool prizes.

Another point you make is that the pros need to keep the series going, while it is great they are attending and are welcomed, they are only 10% of the riders at the race.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I thought all the Pro's were in Fort William last weekend??? At least the ones that "make a living".

Great event, crappy turn out. Pro GRT, then US Open, difficult to do 3 weeks in a row for most.

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
I hate to say this but DHrules is sort of right... its difficult to make a commitment to the race if its not guaranteed a set amount of prize money. I decided to skip Blue Mountain for the Mt Snow race for a bigger challenge which I got with the rain and the track it was good training and hopefully make some money out of the trip but I gave up a potential $250 prize up because of it..
I have a very limited budget from Sponsors this year so now going to the Mount Snow race this year is a risky decision because it always rains there.. So there is a chance lots of people aren't going to show up at any of the races so that means no $$?
I like the tracks out there but I cant spend money on my own dime unfortunately.

Mount Snow

Gateway to Vermont
Apr 21, 2010
First off I want to thank everyone who came out to the first race. While the turnout was less than we hoped for, the crowd that was here was a blast and we hope you enjoyed yourself.

As for the payouts, I just have to say that we're never going to please everyone no matter how hard we try. In the past we had set payouts for pros and no payouts for any other category. Last year we average 18 pros per race and had a set prize pool of $700. The payout was so disproportionate to the fees coming in. We agreed this year to spread out the payments based on rider entries and extend that to several categories. The more riders the better the payouts, we feel its a fair system.

I would also like to point out that we are also awarding medals for the first time along with the cash payouts and great prizes. We gave away over 20 pairs of Smith sunglasses, over 20 sets of tires and tons of shirts, hats and water bottles.

Also for the record the total pro prize pool was $160.

Again thank you for coming out to race and we look forward to seeing everyone back on June 26-27.

Attached is the map for our second race course.

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
Wow Im still cleaning the mud out of my bike from the last race and already you've got the course mapped out for the next.Thanks for posting the course map. Just an FYI the date on the map says June 25/26 and the race is the 26/27 no big deal just thought I'd point that out. I'll be there first thing Saturday morn rain or shine. But hoping for a lil sun this round.

Mount Snow

Gateway to Vermont
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for catching the date error on that. We'll fix it up before posting it to the website. See you in a few weeks.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
keep it up with the fresh cut newish courses!
I believe that the weather combined with 4 events consecutively ( i f you count ges at seven springs) created the lack of attendance not to mention the threatening weather that turned out to be ok.

lack of money dedicated to higher priority events and rain along with questionable courses will not bring people out to race. mt snow is hit or miss depending on those factors that weekend was a hit though. also consider that the eastern cup series is in its first year. compared to GES which many people give priority. chances are that if mt snow wasn't tied to platty i wouldn't have gone but
I'm glad it did it was fun and it had been a while since I had had that much fun riding a course at snow it happens like once every two years.

Mount Snow

Gateway to Vermont
Apr 21, 2010
Attached please find the updated Eastern States Cup series standings after race #3 at Mount Snow: