Quantcast

EBB vs. Horizontal

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
looking at a rigid 29 SS for my next rig, once i heal up from this broken neck thing. i'm considering Niner and Vassago (who isn't). a big issue for me will be simplicity and ease of upkeep. i've never had an EBB bike before, so i'd appreciate a bit on input on how fiddly they are. i've had horizontal DO frames, and the alignment can be a bit tricky, keeping the wheel straight and the disc brake aligned, particularly changing a tube or under the occasional heavy pedal torque. is one a distinct win over the other or are both equally fiddly?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Some of it depends on the style/quality of the ebb set up. If you haven't yet, look into a Singular Swift - they use a nice ebb set up - great price, nice steel 29er frames.

The two ebb frames I've owned were a bit creaky.

I currently have a 26er frame with horizontal dropouts and it is a bit of a PITA to remove the rear wheel due to the disc caliper. But many new horizontal dropout frames have improved upon this recently (the frame I'm referencing here is an old Azonic Steelhead).

Most important thing I think is to find the frame where the geometry/fit suit you best and go from there. With proper attention/TLC any of these single speed systems (ebb, horizontal, sliders) can be quite effective.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, I know this is an odd deal-breaker to make a decision on, and fit and handling will certainly win out, but the EBB thing is alien to me and I felt it a good idea to sniff around.

k1creeker

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
looking at a rigid 29 SS for my next rig, once i heal up from this broken neck thing. i'm considering Niner and Vassago (who isn't). a big issue for me will be simplicity and ease of upkeep. i've never had an EBB bike before, so i'd appreciate a bit on input on how fiddly they are. i've had horizontal DO frames, and the alignment can be a bit tricky, keeping the wheel straight and the disc brake aligned, particularly changing a tube or under the occasional heavy pedal torque. is one a distinct win over the other or are both equally fiddly?
I recently picked up a Misfit Psycles Dissent 29'er frame. I'm impressed with the quality of the welds and the design of the sliding dropouts. The 4 bolt system is pretty beefy, and the disc caliper mount is part of the dropout so the relationship of caliper to axle is always the same. Simple, and effective. If you run the dropout all forward, it should not be affected by chain torque.

It's worth a look, and the price comes in between the Vassago and Niner.
I got mine from Likin' Bikin' in Maine. They were great to deal with.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
jK and k1, thanks for the 411. i've got a set of hope hubs i wanted to use (need to do the axle conversion on the front and rear. had almost forgotten about the sliding dropout style. i gave the kona unit a glance and it may be the starting point i want, and the dropouts slide. in the end, i'd like the least hassle with rear wheel removal.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have a Rockhopper SL 29er SS which runs an eccentric BB, I have no creaks sqeeks or anything else it runs solid. With that said I am partial to horizontal dropouts I actually wish I had them instead of a ecc bb but I cant complain too much since it has never done me wrong

kleinhead

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
just finished building my Vassago Jabberwocky. Rear hub is Hope SS bolt-on. With the Jabbernuts and the Hope rear hub, the rear wheel stays put. Very easy to align and it's "set and forget."

Uncle Stalin

Chimp
Feb 26, 2011
Englewood
I prefer sliding rear drop outs simply because they do not require you to readjust your rear brake caliper when you slide the rear wheel out to tension the chain. Just a thought.
-Stalin