Quantcast

Educated opinions only!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I still wonder why more people don't own one. I've heard good things from the 2 users around here but never had a chance to ride one (and small is too small for me).
Still you asked for educated opinions on ridemonkey. This is going to be good ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A friend of mIne rode a flatline WC last season. I think he broke it eventually, but liked it while he had it.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I owned an 08 demo8 for the last 3 years and loved it. Rode the flatline for a weekend at sunpeaks and it was easy to get used to. The rear end was stiff and the suspension felt good with a stock dhx 3.0
It was heavy, but it was the old version. It actually didn't matter. I saw no point in such a heavy bike and would never have considered riding one, but since it was my only choice to ride, I was happy to take it. I'm pretty black or whit on bikes, and I came away from riding the flatline with a smile on my face, and a fondness for the strange bent pop can looking bike. I thought it rode well, and I'm sure it is way better now with the updated version. I suppose a consideration for you will be if you like short or long rear ends. Im used to the demo rear and like it, but the long rear end felt fine and didn't take too long to get used to.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Beings how at one point I received an education and I also have an opinion, I think I am qualified to respond to the question.
The demo is short for demolition and so are ideal for those who work in the construction/deconstruction business. I imagine implosion is the best form of demo but I do like to see a good ol' fashion wrecking ball do its thing. But I think with wrecking balls, its more the idea of them being cool than the actual reality as it usually seems to take too long. Top Gear had a cool episode recently where they had to demo some houses and used tanks and crap. Entertaining as usual.
Flatline is about a heart that stops beating. Really can't see why that would ever be a good thing in the real world unless it is your sworn enemy or you are some sort of hired killer. Ever watch 'The Professional', that was a good assassin movie but I prefer those with ninja skillz the most. I am working on being a 'self taught matial arts expert' and those work better at bringing me closer to that reality. Keee-Ahhh!!

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
i went to college and got a very educated opinion from the 120 grand i spent there. since i have justified my educated opinion i will say this.
the flatline pro has wicked cool color ways. cooler then specialized. but the specialized has riders like brad benedict adn curtis keene and they are from the west coast and do sweet scrubs and drifts, so that makes it cool. cooler then rocky mountain. but then rocky mountain was founded by wade simmons since josh bender was on contract with karpeil. so i would get a trek.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all i can add is this:

beware the older style flatline. That formed section of the downtube a few inches from the headtube creates a nice fold point in the event you hit a tree hard enough. buddy of mine had one, and had a mishap with a tree in which the bike went from dh handling (mid 60's head angle) to xc handling (about a 73 degree head angle).

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
So I can't tell you much about how the Demo rides but I can speak to the Rocky. I've been on a 2011 Flatline World Cup for the whole season and have to say I'm pretty impressed. My large weighs in at 41lbs bone stock, which is pretty good with Saint Hubs and DH tubes. No question that it could get sub 40 without going crazy. The ride has been impressive to say the least. It simply does everything well. Its not the type of bike that you jump onto and say wow this does this great and that great and this.... It just does nothing wrong. Having ridden most of the offerings on the market for at least a run I would call that high praise. It is predictable at speed, but not sloppy in the tight. It jumps well but can take a big hit. The suspension is supple but ramps up nicely. It pedals well, and maintenence is minimal. I have to say I am really stoked on this bike. (Enough so that I am going to buy a new one next season, which i haven't done since the Sunday). If you have a good source for one I would recommend it.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
So I can't tell you much about how the Demo rides but I can speak to the Rocky. I've been on a 2011 Flatline World Cup for the whole season and have to say I'm pretty impressed. My large weighs in at 41lbs bone stock, which is pretty good with Saint Hubs and DH tubes. No question that it could get sub 40 without going crazy. The ride has been impressive to say the least. It simply does everything well. Its not the type of bike that you jump onto and say wow this does this great and that great and this.... It just does nothing wrong. Having ridden most of the offerings on the market for at least a run I would call that high praise. It is predictable at speed, but not sloppy in the tight. It jumps well but can take a big hit. The suspension is supple but ramps up nicely. It pedals well, and maintenence is minimal. I have to say I am really stoked on this bike. (Enough so that I am going to buy a new one next season, which i haven't done since the Sunday). If you have a good source for one I would recommend it.
This review carries extra weight based on the fact that this was posted by a rider sponsored by YETI!!