Quantcast

electrolytes and hydration

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
So this is my first season riding. I ride up in CT, sometimes with MMcG. I have a question about hydration. I'm pretty good about my water use, I'm about 1 liter per hour of riding, but I was curious if I should start using a rehydration supplement either before, during, or after my ride? And which one should I use. I know that water is good but more than water comes out when you sweat. Also, I'm diabetic so I can't use a supplement thats really high in sugar (like GNC's distance), and I'd prefer to get a powder you mix with water, since they're usually cheaper. Thanks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Crazy Sweeper said:
So this is my first season riding. I ride up in CT, sometimes with MMcG. I have a question about hydration. I'm pretty good about my water use, I'm about 1 liter per hour of riding, but I was curious if I should start using a rehydration supplement either before, during, or after my ride? And which one should I use. I know that water is good but more than water comes out when you sweat. Also, I'm diabetic so I can't use a supplement thats really high in sugar (like GNC's distance), and I'd prefer to get a powder you mix with water, since they're usually cheaper. Thanks.

Bob,

Go to EMS and see if they still have the 24 pack of Gu with Free tub of Gu 2o deal.

I used that at Westwoods - provides more than just water and it isn't real sticky or thick tasting. Check the ingredients to make sure it meets your needs though. Not sure of the sugar content, but my guess is that is would be way less than say Gatorade or Powerade etc.

MMcG Out! :)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
You might check out Accelerade too. I've started using that on my long rides and it really helps with the energy levels and keeping hydrated. I don't know about the sugar levels though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you don't want to deal with the sugary sports drinks look at Endurolytes which are basically electrolyte tablets. Drink water and take these and you should have no hydration problems. I use them because I tend to sweat more salt than most sports drinks can replenish.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
Well guys I was at pedros this weekend, and I did some research at the ultima tent. Let me tell you this is some great stuff. If you go to their website you can see all the reasons why, gu20 is a close second. But its perfect for me, purely based from complex carbs, no sugars or sweeteners, replenishes all 5 electrolytes. Not too bad on price either. $30 for 50 16oz servings