Quantcast

Electrolytes

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I posted a few months back about electrolytes and being chronically depleted bythe end of summer. I got several great recommendations. I ended up with generic electrolyte tabs found at: www.readykor.com/medicine/electrolytes. The tabs have 250mg of sodium, 15mg of potassium and 18 mg of calcium carbonate. Two tabs come to a pack. The final regiment that works best for me is to take a pack the night before I ride, one that morning and then one every hour. I drink only water and may use a cliff gel per hour as needed. Also I avoid caffiene(sp) the day I ride. This has really helped and I highly recommend it to anyone who has problems with dehydration.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
BIRDMAN111 said:
i just drink water to stay hydrated.
that works for a while, at least until your system is diluted with so much water that most of the electrolytes have been flushed out so your body can't function properly. it's happened to me before and it is not fun, i'm just glad i was able to finish the race without any major issues.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hydrate well day before ride.

Drink gatorade before ride.

Drink water during ride.

Evervits and/or Hammer Endurolytes for harsh long epics.

Electrolytes are good.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I guess everyone is different and I tried most of the things recommended but finally found what works best for me. It's cheap and easy. It may have to do with where I ride. Georgia is hot and humid. I sweat like a mad man. I can loose 4 pounds in a two to three hour ride and that's with constant hydration. Taking in the extra salts keeps my electrolytes in balance. The sports drinks or food can't keep up.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Skookum said:
Hydrate well day before ride.

Drink gatorade before ride.

Drink water during ride.

Evervits and/or Hammer Endurolytes for harsh long epics.

Electrolytes are good.
I don't know exactly why, but most sports drinks give me mad heartburn. It's pretty f'n uncomfortable.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am generally well-hydrated (especially after having a bad experience with dehydration in my first 24 hour race) so I make sure to keep plenty of water on-hand pre-ride, during ride and post ride. During my longer rides I use Elite in my water and haven't had troubles since I started using it!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I just don't drink enough to stay up on my electrolytes, so I have to get them elsewhere. Have you thought about changing your diet at all?

I've gotten so I eat chili about once a week. Chili (especially the jarred kind) is often loaded with sodium. I've heard that chips and pretzels also work well. I also work a banana into my protein shakes once or twice a week.

Is 2 servings of chili and 2 bananas over the course of week enough? no, but it's enough, and when added to the stuff I eat/drink anyways, I feel much better over the duration of a summer. It's made a world of difference for me. And I've ridden far more this summer than I ever have before.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I don't know exactly why, but most sports drinks give me mad heartburn. It's pretty f'n uncomfortable.
never made the connection with your RM handle.....

i suppose Pedialyte would work, it's all about your body functioning properly. Every advantage helps and when you're dialed physically in terms of hydration/nutricion etc. that's a big part of the battle when pushing your body to ride on.

There are alot of sports drinks out there that will suffice as well. i still have a big tub of the Hammer Heed, but it tastes so foul, i've been trying to pawn it off on any takers...

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Skookum makes a good point. If you get your body running up to speed it frees up your mind to focus on the task at hand, the race, the obsticle the whatever. Bottom line: keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance the most economical and efficient way possible. That way you can keep the focus where it needs to be, going further faster!

L

luelling

I drink only water and may use a cliff gel per hour as needed. QUOTE]

Thats your problem. Water doesn't contain everything you need for extreme efforts. You need a drink that contains electrolytes....at least Gatoraide if not something else. Plus a Cliff gel per hour is not enough...whats the calorie content? 100? maybe 130? Your body can take around 250 cals per hour when excersizing hard....you basically are not giving your body the energy it needs. My friend won the pro XC marathon title this year in the US and we talk often about this subject.

I typically carry a bottle of water along with a bottle of gatoraide (I'm a cheap ass) and I use bars instead of shots becuase they contain more calories. What you stick into your body is as key as how you ride/train.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
has anyone tried this vitaminwater stuff??

http://www.glaceau.com/
A friend of mine drinks vitamin water after a night of partying and the morning after. She swears by it. I don't know anything about their electro stuff.

Imo, with regards to sports drinks, a lot of it is personal. What works for me and you, might not work for everyone else. If you try it out, please be sure to report back and let us know what you think.