Quantcast

Enchanted Forest - dialup beware

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I got out again this morning and brought my camera so I could take some pics of the Enchanted Forest trail. I definitely didn't feel it this morning. I wasn't able to clean several sections that have become routine, and I took a spill and buggered up my ankle. The lighting was kind of weird, but here are some ok shots:

Sunrise

A bit of a rocky section on the way up the Apex trail

Most of the Apex trail is smooth gently climbing singletrack

You know you're almost to the EF trail when you cross this bridge

This trail ain't free

Now the fun begins

EF throws in a few roots, just to keep you honest

And a few short steep sections to keep you humble

More EF singletrack goodness

Nice trail work

And before you know it, EF is over

Heading back down Apex, you get a nice view of the Sluicebox trail dropping down to meet Apex

And...on to work

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
It's after a post like this that I really miss western trails.

Beautiful!

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
:cool:
Those small root sections look prime for some mini-air..
Nice trails no doubt;much different from southeast trails around here. I have to get out of town more & get on that kind of trails. ----Then the depressing "going to work picture"

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
bigdrop05 said:
:cool:
Those small root sections look prime for some mini-air..
Nice trails no doubt;much different from southeast trails around here. I have to get out of town more & get on that kind of trails. ----Then the depressing "going to work picture"
There's a particular rock that we call the "jump rock" that you hit on the way down Apex that's great for a little air. The trail's too tight and twisty to hit it too hard, but its fun none-the-less.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Fun times, even though you couldn't find your flow this morning, it still looks like a good time.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Heidi said:
Fun times, even though you couldn't find your flow this morning, it still looks like a good time.
Yeah, a day with a bad ride is still better than a day with no ride. Unless the bad ride includes mountain lions or something.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
pixelninja said:
Yeah, a day with a bad ride is still better than a day with no ride. Unless the bad ride includes mountain lions or something.
Look on the bright side, that would make one hell of a good story.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sucks that you screwed up your ankle...but at least you get to ride that trail basically whenever you want!

Many of us are stuck in nigh-rideless situations. Thanks for sharing...it was a morale boost. Can't wait to get back to the west coast!

(And guys, that toll on the trail looks like a historical thing from its days as a wagon trail, not an actual toll...)

MD

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MikeD said:
(And guys, that toll on the trail looks like a historical thing from its days as a wagon trail, not an actual toll...)
What are you talking about? Just the other day I brought a WAGON drawn by ONE PAIR of mules up through this road. Cost me 60¢. ;)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
DaveW said:
Nice looking trail. :)
Are many trails pay to ride over there?
Yep. All of us Jefferson county residents pay for the trail systems. We get poached by other counties, but Boulder County isn't allowed. :nope:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I rode Apex/Pick-n-Sledge/Sluicebox/Apex/Enchanted Forest/Apex this morning and had a couple encounters. The first was with a small herd of deer that crossed the trail in front of me as I was climbing P-n-S. They stopped 20 feet off the trail and were watching me, so I stopped too and watched them. We just looked at each other for a couple minutes and then they continued on up the hill. I encountered them again after a couple switchbacks, but then they disappeared. The second encounter was with a trail runner who was going up as I was descending Apex back to the trailhead. I stopped to let her and her dog pass and we had a short conversation:

Runner: Hi
Me: Hi
Runner: Did you go up to Enchanted Forest?
Me: Yes
Runner: Did you see any mountain lions?
Me: Um, no
Runner: That's good, because I was chased by one the last time I was there.
Me: Looks like you made out ok.
Runner: Yeah, I'm scared to go up there again, but I have to get over my fear
Me: Good luck. Hope to see you again.
Runner: <laugh> Yeah, me too!

I've wanted to put a chainstay wrap on my bike to quiet it, but maybe its a good thing that it makes a bit of chain-slap noise.