Quantcast

Endurance Racing?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I just got a bug that I want to do an endurance race. I would love to do Leadville, but that's a raffle, so we'll see if I can get that. Can anybody think of other Colorado (+/- 300 miles) endurance races?

I know that I to need to start riding XC and road a lot, but this is on my short list of things to do anyways. I will be bringing my trainer out to CO when I drive back after Thanksgiving, so I can set up my roadie for winter riding. I have also started a general training regime of lifting and running to start getting back into shape. I think about 8-12hrs of riding per week would be a good starting point, although most during the winter will be on the trainer after work.

I figure that I have an easy 30# I can lose. Which I think will help a lot with hauling my ass up hills. Diet-wise I have been trying to cut back my non-healthy foods (notably ice cream and cookies), while increasing my consumption of fruit/veggies. Beer is something that I might have some problems with though...

Since I am already in the process of putting my 575 on a diet, I am not concerned on that front. I'll be ditching the 36 for either a 32 Float or a Revelation, which is a 1# loss. For racing, I would be swapping my Reverb for a Thomson, swapping to 2.1 tires, and pulling my chainguide. Otherwise, it's about as light as it is going to get.

Has anybody done an/any endurance races? I'm assuming the first suggestions are to do some local XC, which is also on my list of things to add into my calendar. Any suggestions for training?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have done several 24 hour solo races. My best advice is to ride often and figure out your nutrition needs (any stomach issues) early in your training so you can practice eating at all hours of the day/night. You'll want to get in some long (i.e. 6, 9 & even 12 hour) rides too. For those, I used the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended editions) and had a few movie marathons in my basement, during the night...this was also great practice eating at all hours. For me, the hardest part about these endurance events is keeping your mental focus. Your brain will tell you that you should be sleeping rather than riding your bike. It's also important to learn to pace yourself. It's too easy to go out too hard early in the race and then you'll pay dearly!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other more specific questions or even post them up here and I'll answer what I can. Good luck!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
300 miles seems like a whole lot if you haven't already been a steady competitor in endurance racing. I'm staying tuned to see where this thread goes, but that _sounds_ like jumping to an ultramarathon right out of the gates.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
300 miles seems like a whole lot if you haven't already been a steady competitor in endurance racing. I'm staying tuned to see where this thread goes, but that _sounds_ like jumping to an ultramarathon right out of the gates.
I tried that with an ultramarathon, Leadville actually, and it was painful. Not recommended.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
There's a series of races in Leadville, by the way. There's the 100 of course, but there's also the Silver Rush 50 and a 24 hour race.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
HAHAHA, wow I'm retarded...OK that makes sense. I was going to say, 100mi seems like a pretty solid chunk for a roadbike, 300mi on a mountain bike seems fanciful, unless you have a couple weeks to kill...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Doesn't sound like any fun to me. You would definitely drop pounds.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Joker - check out the Gunnison Growler, supposed to be a great race. If you like elevation, the Breck 100 or Firecracker.

For training, I know lots of people that follow Chris Eatough's training plans with good success.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
300 miles is more then just a lot, its insane !

I think he means within 300 of Colorado.
Correct.

There's a series of races in Leadville, by the way. There's the 100 of course, but there's also the Silver Rush 50 and a 24 hour race.
The 50's a good call. I can relatively comfortably do a 20-25 mile ride in 3-ish hours if I bring lunch. I'm just trying to extrapolate this into 100 miles in 12 hours. Clearly I would need to get far more fit to do this, but I don't think this is out of my range at all. I just need to spend a lot more time on the bike, which Wifey has agreed to.

How does this translate into years on teh job?
Not sure, but hopefully the training gives me back a few that I lost in the last couple of years.

I'm going to give this a go and see what happens. Obviously getting a raffle spot for Leadville would be amazing and make me focus completely on training. I'm already looking at what I can cut from my diet and junk food is an easy target. I started breaking out my junk food as a subcategory of groceries in Quicken; if you want to stop eating that crap, look at how much you spend on it. The money I waste on junk food is enough to buy myself a new fork annually. I'm scared to actually look at my alcohol expenses... I might be able to find a dh bike in there.

Either way, Wifey is on board, I am in the process of bringing my 575 back into trail mode from freeride mode, and have been hitting the gym daily. My strength is coming back, as is my wind. We'll just see where this goes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've done a bunch of races. Specialized in 6 hour enduros. I can't intake enough food after that time period. Training? I just rode my bike a lot. Shorter hard efforts most of the time with a road century or similar every week or two. I kept my endurance rides mostly on the road mainly because long hours on the trail usually end up with big time repair costs.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is when racing over long distances you must focus on efficiency. Treat your brakes like they have AIDS. Corner like the gubment is going to take your side knobs away. Don't bother trying to go fast in the flats, save that energy for the climbs. Get tires with as supple side walls and you keep air in. All those little things add up big time over several hours.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I too have done a multitude of 24 hour, 12 hour, and 100 mile races with great success. Ramping up mileage is the way to go, don't try to hammer out 100 right away. Your body will slowly adapt. I will say that starting your routine in winter will be rough because trainers are the suck.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am well aware of carrying speed. I was looking at my bike setup and don't think that I will go any smaller than my Maxxis Advantage 2.1 tires. They bite really well, are relatively light, and roll fast. I will probably run the bike at full weight while I am training, then swap down to 2.1's, a fixed post, and pull my guide. I figure I can scrub 1-2 lbs in that alone, which should be helpful. I will still be hauling a ~29-30# bike though, one of the upsides of being a wookie.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am now registered in the lottery for Leadville. Now the fun starts... I'm going to have to get my trainer out here asap. So, who local wants to do a couple dozen road and/or XC rides?

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I am now registered for Leadville. Now the fun starts... I'm going to have to get my trainer out here asap. So, who local wants to do a couple dozen road and/or XC rides?
Gimme a call, might be able to sneak out for a couple long XC rides on a sunday with enough warning. Though I'm guessing after tonight anything in teh high country is out of the question. I'll do roadie rides too if you want but all I have is the SS I commute to work on.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Gimme a call, might be able to sneak out for a couple long XC rides on a sunday with enough warning. Though I'm guessing after tonight anything in teh high country is out of the question. I'll do roadie rides too if you want but all I have is the SS I commute to work on.
I should have the Big Top up this weekend. How far from you is Buff Creek? Would that still be open?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What Westy said. I've done some 6 hours, and rarely, if ever trained for that long at race pace. Kind of stopped racing XC the last couple years, been mostly riding DH these days. Might get back into it at some point.

The thing I'd really stress is getting your nutrition plan down. Figure out what works for you and stick to it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat and I would have won the two-man division of a 24 hour race, but I did my best that race to make sure that didn't happen.

Hey splat: You're welcome.

I've done that two man, a couple of four mans, and a five man. Never a solo though. Man, that entire paragraph sounds gay.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I too have done a multitude of 24 hour, 12 hour, and 100 mile races with great success. Ramping up mileage is the way to go, don't try to hammer out 100 right away. Your body will slowly adapt. I will say that starting your routine in winter will be rough because trainers are the suck.
:stupid:

Listen to Heidi, she knows what she's talking about. I've done one 24 hour race solo and a few 12 hour races. You'll need to build fitness through the year and I would recommend reading some books (Training Bible, etc). Fitness aside, the event will be more mental than anything. You'll have to be willing to push yourself beyond your limits to finish.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You know how to get a hold of me to get some short/long road rides in until it gets too crappy out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Splat and I would have won the two-man division of a 24 hour race, but I did my best that race to make sure that didn't happen.

Hey splat: You're welcome.

I've done that two man, a couple of four mans, and a five man. Never a solo though. Man, that entire paragraph sounds gay.
As long as you use enough butt butter it doesn't matter how many men you have. Wait, what are we talking about again?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have ridden the ore to shore race in Michigan a few times, 50 miles ish.

That's as endurance as I get. I eat like a horse before, during, and after the race. I pedal hard, and I want to quit 4 miles in.

I am not sure why I keep doing it. I never train for it, I just do it. The winners all come in at like 2:30. They sweep the course at 5 hours, I usually finish in less than 4 hours and call it a good time.

If you are serious about it you'll have to train your balls off.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I should have the Big Top up this weekend. How far from you is Buff Creek? Would that still be open?
Its about an hour but I have no idea what conditions might be like. That place has weird weather, it can be dry when nothing else is, or vice/versa. Keeping an eye on eMTpt BeeR for condition reports. I'll get back to ya.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
do the triple bypass if you can't do the leadville 100.

if you're feeling frisky....sign up for the double triple bypass...evergreen to avon...avon to evergreen...240 miles...20,000 feet of elevation....over 2 days.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
do the triple bypass if you can't do the leadville 100.

if you're feeling frisky....sign up for the double triple bypass...evergreen to avon...avon to evergreen...240 miles...20,000 feet of elevation....over 2 days.
A couple friends and I are entering the lottery for it next year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
HAHAHA, wow I'm retarded...OK that makes sense. I was going to say, 100mi seems like a pretty solid chunk for a roadbike, 300mi on a mountain bike seems fanciful, unless you have a couple weeks to kill...
My last race earlier this year was a 2700 mile MTB race :p

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dude there's so,so much XC racing in this state. Long events are getting really popular right now, here's my list off the top of my head without even trying.

Breck Epic
Firecracker 50
Bailey Hundo
Colorado Trail Race

Winter Park Endurance Series
Mountain States Cup
Gunnison Growler

Etc. etc. etc. Bigfoot Productions (bringers onners of MSC series) are going to try and rock a weeknight Short Track series on the Front Range next summer, geared towards being training-type races. Good way to get the power up in a short time. Call me for the riding any time, although keep in mind that I'll be skiing a lot on weekends so maybe not? Thursday nights in the winter = night riding with the TITS crew, always fun and good to be out on the bike, even if you're freezing your @ss off. Get some lights and join us! Or, one of the guys will probably have a light setup you can borrow 1-2 times to get stoked on night riding before you buy something.

Running improves biking. Biking does not improve running.
This is so true, and still it blows my mind.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dude there's so,so much XC racing in this state. Long events are getting really popular right now, here's my list off the top of my head without even trying.

Breck Epic
Firecracker 50
Bailey Hundo
Colorado Trail Race

Winter Park Endurance Series
Mountain States Cup
Gunnison Growler

Etc. etc. etc. Bigfoot Productions (bringers onners of MSC series) are going to try and rock a weeknight Short Track series on the Front Range next summer, geared towards being training-type races. Good way to get the power up in a short time. Call me for the riding any time, although keep in mind that I'll be skiing a lot on weekends so maybe not? Thursday nights in the winter = night riding with the TITS crew, always fun and good to be out on the bike, even if you're freezing your @ss off. Get some lights and join us! Or, one of the guys will probably have a light setup you can borrow 1-2 times to get stoked on night riding before you buy something.
Thansk for the links. I have lights, but I don't get off work until 7pm, so riding might be a bit difficult after work.