Quantcast

"Enduro" Helmets

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sweet! stoney will show you those !!!

you'll have a bike, jes? how long are you going to be in town?
Moving cross country. Will have two bikes and an idiot dog. One thing may make the other things difficult to use.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went to the LBS to pick up a new lid. I was reminded why I hadn't already gotten one. They only carry Bontrager lids. I don't generally like bontrager shit. Not really from experience but because the shop owner always claims Bontrager stuff is vastly superior than anything else. Clearly his profit margins are better.

Anywho I knew I wasn't going to make it to another shop anytime soon and they claimed I could return it if I didn't like it. I picked up a Bontrager Rally Mips lid. Seems to have decent venting and I can sharpie over the Buttwrangler label.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No helmet riding uphill is a metrosexual tour de force in my book. I ought to wear my helmet always, but I don't. May pay for it eventually. Currently using a POC Trabec, not too fond of the adjustment, but it works.
When I lived in Washington I seldom saw a rider without a helmet, in Montana it's about 50/50 on the trail and maybe 5% in town. I haven't worn a helmet regularly for 5 years or so.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
the shop owner always claims Bontrager stuff is vastly superior than anything else. Clearly his profit margins are better.
The LBS I have easy access to only sells accessories supplied through Specialized. Last fall, when I was looking for a new headlamp, one of the shop clerks proudly showed me a display of bar mounted headlamps with dual power modes of 1.5 or 3 volts... I didn't realized until then that Specialized competed with Walmart.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
loved my giro xen...had it for probably 6 years. after a number of head-to-tree impacts, and the inner parts starting to disintegrate, i recently replaced it with a tld a1 which i have no complaints about thus far.

if my ride starts with a long fireroad climb (most in the hills do)-helmet off. after that, mostly on. hate that cold, wet helmet feeling if you remove it after riding for a while and then put it back on.

and @Westy, you'll have to set the bar low for me-i'm there on 6/11.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The LBS I have easy access to only sells accessories supplied through Specialized. Last fall, when I was looking for a new headlamp, one of the shop clerks proudly showed me a display of bar mounted headlamps with dual power modes of 1.5 or 3 volts... I didn't realized until then that Specialized competed with Walmart.
I am sure it comes out of the same factory as the walmart stuff, just has a specialized sticker.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So the trail is rocky and more technical on the left side, or a well-worn cheater line on the right side. The cheater line is maybe 3-4 feet below the proper line. I had made it about 2/3 of the way up and lost my balance to my right, basically falling down onto then off the cheater line.

:bonk:
Chimbley Gulch? I think I know the spot...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
also, core body temperature is a big factor for heat exhaustion, so by your logic wearing a camelbak while riding is unsafe too.
This is why I stopped wearing a pack for anything but death slog rides.
Dialed bike, dual ply tires with extra scoop of jizz, and a multi-tool in my pocket gets the job done just fine most of the time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have the smith, wife has the ixs.

She's definitely tested out the ixs with a big crash last year where the extra coverage got bashed in and we crash replaced it.

Upper chimney above the saddle?? @Nick

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just got a Smith Forefront MIPS helmet. It's got this weird honeycomb crap obscuring the vents, can't tell from my r%@d ride (that's right, I said it. I used a mountain bike helmet on a road ride. The other retirees on the bike path are still talking about it. ) today if it will be a problem.
Fit is absolutely great.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I agree. The cheater line has taken on a life of itself, mostly because it's easier to hike (IMO) both up and down.
That, and people like @stoney refuse to sack up and ride the original line.

Mostly, it's stoney's fault. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I agree. The cheater line has taken on a life of itself, mostly because it's easier to hike (IMO) both up and down.
That, and people like @stoney refuse to sack up and ride the original line.

Mostly, it's stoney's fault. :D
Next ride. I too can fall into rocks.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's not the colors. I like ridiculous, bright riding gear as much as the next idiot. The shape is the problem. Looks like it's gonna transform into an Autobot and catch you if you start to eat shit. Or maybe your helmet is wearing a helmet (que xzibit)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's not the colors. I like ridiculous, bright riding gear as much as the next idiot. The shape is the problem. Looks like it's gonna transform into an Autobot and catch you if you start to eat shit. Or maybe your helmet is wearing a helmet (que xzibit)
Lots of places for branches to impale you.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Meh. It's really fucking light and fits well and vents well.