Quantcast

Entry Level Full Suspensions?

3jm11

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
My friends and I are avid hikers and campers and we are planning to invest in some Mountain Bikes for our trips this summer. I would really like to get a Full Suspension but after viewing some price tags, i may go with a hardtail. I was just wondering if any there are any nice, durable, and reliable FS bikes for around $500-700. One hardtail I really liked was the Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc for around $600. Any opinions on this bike would help out too, thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In my opinion, there are no worthwhile new full suspension bikes under $1000. With a FS bike, you have pay for the shock, a more engineered frame, the pivots, and the components. With FS bikes under $1000, something get short changed, like bad parts or a bad frame.

I like the Hardrock Comp Disc, but it is a little heavy. Take a look the Rockhopper. One thing to note is that rim brakes do a fine job stopping, particularily if you maintain a slower speed on the steeper terrain. Most beginners will go relatively slow even on the descents, so rim brakes do a fine job in these circumstances.

Later you can upgrade to disc brakes, and better ones than are offered on the Hardrock Disc.

3jm11

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
what do you think the major disadvantages/advantages are for having a hardtail rather than a Full Suspension? Obviously the full suspension will absord bumps better, but is it a huge difference? I plan on using the bike for mostly trail riding, and knowing my personality, i'll probably give it some abuse.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you want full, but don't want to spend the money, you can meet in-between with a shock seat post. Crane Creek's Thudbuster is a good post that'll take a lot of small bumps out of the ride. And if the bumps are too big for the post, well, you're probably standing on the pedals anyway.

3jm11

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
wow, excellent point, i didnt even know they made something like that. i've been reading reviews and pretty much everyone says its great, i'll definetley have to check it out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you are a rougher rider, than an entry-level hardtail is a much better purchase than a FS bike. There are no moving parts on a hardtail frame (obviously), and unlike better FS frames, an entry-level frame is constructed to be cheap not durable.

Most hardtails are typical strong enough, but the more expensive ones are much lighter.

The traditional thinking about getting a hardtail as a beginner is that it is a better bike to learn skills. A full-suspension bike will correct your mistakes, whereas a hardtail forces you to ride better.

A perfect example is riding over a root. A full-suspension bike you could ride over without much trouble, but you will have to shift your weight forward to get the back wheel over smoothly.

3jm11

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
stinkyboy said:
Don't be disuaded when people point and chuckle.

:rolleyes:
eh, i could care less what others think, ill be much happer with the extra $500 i have in my pocket.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Suspension seatposts, Thudbuster included, are questionable in value. Your legs are much better suspension than a suspension seatpost, and descending out of the saddle, i.e, standing on the pedals as opposed to sitting, is more important than having a suspension seatpost.

A suspension seatpost is valuable for climbing seated over rough terrain, but you can compensate in a lot of ways, like choosing smoother lines.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Suspension seatposts seem kinda iffy. They help keep your butt on the bike but you really want to keep your wheel on the ground.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
sanjuro said:
If you are a rougher rider, than an entry-level hardtail is a much better purchase than a FS bike. There are no moving parts on a hardtail frame (obviously), and unlike better FS frames, an entry-level frame is constructed to be cheap not durable.

Most hardtails are typical strong enough, but the more expensive ones are much lighter.

The traditional thinking about getting a hardtail as a beginner is that it is a better bike to learn skills. A full-suspension bike will correct your mistakes, whereas a hardtail forces you to ride better.

A perfect example is riding over a root. A full-suspension bike you could ride over without much trouble, but you will have to shift your weight forward to get the back wheel over smoothly.
One thing I noticed with mountain biking is you never see people mention skills along with a good bike....you can buy the best bike in the world that is not going to make you a good mountain biker.....alot like motorcycles it is skill that counts along with conditioning....I have run into a few people on the trails now that have a $4000.00.. ?? bike but will not even be able to see me after 10 minutes out there..????.....and I am a slowpoke.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ktmsx said:
One thing I noticed with mountain biking is you never see people mention skills along with a good bike....you can buy the best bike in the world that is not going to make you a good mountain biker.....alot like motorcycles it is skill that counts along with conditioning....I have run into a few people on the trails now that have a $4000.00.. ?? bike but will not even be able to see me after 10 minutes out there..????.....and I am a slowpoke.....
I always say, "Do you know what you need to buy a $4000 bike? Four thousand dollars."

For committed beginners, a reliable, good fitting bike is all you need to start riding. The skills come later.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
sanjuro said:
I always say, "Do you know what you need to buy a $4000 bike? Four thousand dollars."

For committed beginners, a reliable, good fitting bike is all you need to start riding. The skills come later.

Hey Sanjuro, you got $4000 I can borrow....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I know it's a little more than you were wanting to spend but, in the long run it may be well worth you time to check out a Gary Fisher Cobia. It retails in the $900 range and has a great parts list spec'd.

Since it is a 29" wheeled bike, you will find it rides so much smoother than a 26" wheeled hardtail. A lot of hardtail 29er riders say their bikes feel like a full suspension on the trail. At least give it some consideration and a demo ride on a trail somewhere. You can find them at your local Gary Fisher/Trek Dealership.

Frame Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum | Disc Specific | Genesis 29" Geometry

Wheels Shimano M475 disc hubs + Bontrager Ranger 29 Disc rims + 14G Stainless Steel spokes | Bontrager Jones XR 29x2.25 tires

Suspension RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air 29 | External rebound, external compression and lock-out | Motion Control | 80mm travel

Componentry Shimano M-511 Deore rear derailleur + Shimano M-410 Alivio front derailleur | Bontrager Sport 42/32/22 crank | Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes w/ 6" rotors | Shimano M505 ATB clipless pedals | (Full Specs)

MSRP $989.99

Sizes SM (15.5") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21") | (Sizing)

Color(s) Pearl Blue

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Gary Fisher's suck ass dude. Do NOT listen to N8!

Get an entry level or better Specialized or Trek, ride the crap out of it, and go from there.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:

Get an entry level or better Specialized or Trek, ride the crap out of it, and go from there.

Yeah right... Don't get s Gary Fisher but do get a Trek..???

You are a tooL...

1993, On April 9 Gary Fisher Bicycles was purchased by Trek. The 1994 model year bikes will be made by Trek and sold under the Fisher name.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
stinkyboy said:

You're joking just to phuck with N8, yeah?

Besides me thinking GFs are as good as any other bike in that price point, aren't they now made by Trek in the same facilities?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
While I too believe a good HT (like the Specialized bikes mentioned) would be excellent beginner bikes, you may also want to take a look at used FS bikes. I bought my first FS Bike (a K2 Disco Monkey) used for a steal and it has been an awesome bike. I am only selling it now because I don't ride it anymore.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There's not much i can add as far as settling for a hardtail. But if you can get a fully suspended bike for a great price you should get one. Last year blowouts and used bikes are options.

Avoid 29er bikes as they are still a specialty bike and since you're a beginner it would make things alot less complicated.

Best thing to do is get a bike that's properly sized so it fits. Since you're looking to get a bike on a budget recognize that if you fall in love with mt. biking as we have, that you'll most likely spend more money keeping a budget bike on the trail. But it helps in terms of learning and knowing mt. bikes and components. And after a hopefully extended solid tour you'll use that experience to make a better more educated purchase on your next bike.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see ya out on the trail.:)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
Avoid 29er bikes as they are still a specialty bike and since you're a beginner it would make things alot less complicated.

Skooks.... all you need to achieve total MTB God domination is to embrace the 29er and while snacking on your 12 grain goodness... you are soooo close..

:)

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
i know that it has been said, but i'm going to say it again. hardtails will definately make you a smoother rider, and on rough and steep trails you still get some arm pump. but if you decide that you really like to mtb, then you can purchase a fs bike and you will be a much better rider.

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Hey, I just acquired a full suspension bike, and I'm sure it's more than I need. From the small amount of riding I do, I can attest to the fact that it is very nice indeed.

I think it comes down to the deal. If you can find a good deal on a good bike, take it, and work around it.

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
I was looking at base-price FS bikes when I was shopping for my bike, but decided that a bottom FS bike from a reputable company is not going to be as good as a hardtail bike from the same company. Sure, with the FS you get a softer ride, but from what I’ve noticed you get more down-market components as well to offset the manufacturing cost of the FS frame / cost of the additional spring.

Unless you are doing some very serious XC, or want to hit mountains once in a while, a hardtail is probably your best bet.

Jon.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I started with hardtails for the first 8 years, recently getting a full suspension rig. While taking it on most singletrack around here is like a hummer on dirt roads, it is quite a downhill sled.

But I still find myself riding my hardtails just as much for the fast and simple ride they offer. I agree with everyone that says it makes you a better rider.

My friend recently just started, but he got a Giant Trance on a really good deal. So bottom line, make sure it fits and get out as often as possible.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I think it's important to learn how to ride a hardtail first, THEN go for the FS if you are still into it. I rode for many years on a hardtail. I felt like a new rider after I got the FS, it was like learning all over again. Once I was adept, I could tell that it was great to have many years of hardtail riding behind me. To sum it up, IMHO, it's better to learn on a hardtail.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
I think it's important to look for what your riding buddys are riding. From own experience I can tell you that riding a heavy hardtail as a beginner when everybody else gives'er on a fs is not a lot of fun. At least get a decent fork. I had some dj 3, they were undestructable but sucked a**. I got so fed up with this whole bike that I sold it 3 months after I bought it and started riding. I'm not sure if that helped me to get any smother but now I'm riding my BB7 and it's just so much more fun. I have to say though that we're doing a lot of hardcore trailriding/freeride stuff on a mountain with tons of rocks. So my heavy hardtail was just as bad to pedal up and on the way down every little rock wanted to break your wrists and let your feed slide around. Not cool.
Then tires, get some decent tires to begin with. I still don't trust my new tires because I was so used to the other ones slipping all over the place.
So I think if you actually think while riding and don't let the suspention do all the work you'll be fine on a fs. And I think if you want to get smother you'll be able to get a hardtail later on and improve your riding. Anyway, I don't think this whole smooth riding on a ht thing works for everybody, you see so many people sandbagging over the track on hardtails.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
ignore all these other people and buy the bike that makes you want to ride more. that is literally the only important part of your first bike purchase. if that low slung hardtail with the 6 inch fork gives you a riding hard on, go for it. if you get your rocks off thinking about tuning rear shocks and riding up curbs like they arent there, look for a fully. whatever you do, ride it first and then get out on it as much as humanly possible.

i started on a hardtail and I'm glad i did. . . but i'm also glad i thrashed it and got a full sus.