Quantcast

Even more FOX DH fork info...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
...I don't think this has come up before, but fox has a sub-website devoted to their new shock.

HERE

...there is a specs page. And despite it's low claimed weight, it's an oil bath and there is no mention of a air spring.

Notice too that the prod version will have cast lowers while the proto had 3 piece lowers. I wonder if that means the prod version won't have the smaller diameter center sections on it's lowers like the proto had.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
ok, damn!

sub 7lbs. external compression, rebound, preload...and adjustable travel between 6-8!!!

looks sweet, but we wont know until we try it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Swine
ok, damn!

sub 7lbs. external compression, rebound, preload...and adjustable travel between 6-8!!!

looks sweet, but we wont know until we try it.
I'll bet a a dollar, 10:1 odds, that it'll be over 7lbs.

It still looks pretty damn sweet though.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
That video was clips of mailboxes and niscene and other trails all edited to look like one trail. The shot of the fork actually working was impressive, except the o-ring started out low and worked up, and then they re-used the clip and the o-ring was back down again...

The fork looks sick! must have one....

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Did you guys check out that vid? Pretty cool...that waz all filmed on Mailboxes. Really weird to see the trail that almost literally runs into my backyard on thier website. Funny thing is, IMO it's one of the flattest trails around near the UC. Like, for the first 2/3 of the trail you don't really need a lot of suspension. Then all of the sudden you need a whole lot of suspension at the bottom.

I would have filmed Dead Campers or Peabodys/World Cup for a DH video clip.

The rider is prolly fitzy (Mark Fitzsimmons) too, that orange Specialized was what he rode last time we did North Star.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally posted by kidwoo
I think I'd be scared to ride it if it IS under 7. No oil/coil fork with 40mm stantions should be that light. Super glue instead of bolts on the crowns and pinch bolts?
The question is now durability. I would think the tubing must be pretty thin for a 40mm uppers to be under 7lbs. We all know how thin the tubing on a boxxer....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by El_Chimichanga
Did you guys check out that vid? Pretty cool...that waz all filmed on Mailboxes. Really weird to see the trail that almost literally runs into my backyard on thier website. Funny thing is, IMO it's one of the flattest trails around near the UC. Like, for the first 2/3 of the trail you don't really need a lot of suspension. Then all of the sudden you need a whole lot of suspension at the bottom.

I would have filmed Dead Campers or Peabodys/World Cup for a DH video clip.

The rider is prolly fitzy (Mark Fitzsimmons) too, that orange Specialized was what he rode last time we did North Star.
do you ever really need a big bike for mailboxes???? Where was that one ladder drop (to tranny) in that video? I think it was Niscene, definitely not mailboxes (ladder drop to flat). I agree that other trails would have been way better suited to that beasty fork!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by GiantRider
GOTTA GET ONE NOW,or at least after the reviews are done, but after all it is a Fox.
And, as a Fox, will undoubtedly have horrendously loose bushings its first production year... ;) :devil:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by binary visions
I'll bet a a dollar, 10:1 odds, that it'll be over 7lbs.

It still looks pretty damn sweet though.
And I'll bet within the next 3 weeks it will be the BEST fork on the market. Everytime a post starts with "What fork should I buy" the Fox will be at the top of the list even though they aren't availible yet and know ones really ridden one.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
And I'll bet within the next 3 weeks it will be the BEST fork on the market. Everytime a post starts with "What fork should I buy" the Fox will be at the top of the list even though they aren't availible yet and know ones really ridden one.
Your point being?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by MMike
I realize. But you were making it sound like a bad thing!
No way!!!! We need a new BEST EVER fork, its been almost a year since the 888 came out. This should be here just in time to carry the torch.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Did you notice that all of the pictures stop just short of the bottom of the sliders? That's because it has about a 1" long damping knob sticking out of the bottom just looking for rocks. That will probably be eliminated before production.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Agreed.

B

bighitfsr

If you take a 02 monster, loose the oil, use a 1 peice cast mag lower and run mojo style sealed carts you can trim down the weight this much without loosing much strength IMO.

People didnt believe an 888 could be as light as it is.
All they did there was to use a 1 peice mag lower with sealed off legs to reduce oil volume.

The fork must have dampers on both sides as the pics show compression adjustment on top one leg and rebound adjustment on the top of the other leg.

"Do we know the axle-crown height?"

We know its short. Evidence of this is the extened lowers on the fork and the 40mm stanchions. Height wont be an issue since its travel can be adjusted.

The dropouts dont look flimsy at all.
There is a sherman style steel insert for the pinch bolts (see pics).

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Fox is a good company. So, I like it. Great idea w/ adjustable travel... Is that pearl or flip-flop paint ? Flip-flop pearl & blue would be the coolest.

Try this idea on:

New Single Crown Fox
120-150mm (adjustable)
20mm drops
Sub 5lbs

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by punkassean
Where was that one ladder drop (to tranny) in that video? I think it was Niscene, definitely not mailboxes (ladder drop to flat).
No Niscene in that video that I could see... all mailboxes except that one ladder drop which is right behind UCSC on a little side trail.