Quantcast

Ever feel like starting a fire??

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Okies Opinion time from Everyone... feel free to hammer and make your points here.... Harley DAvidson??? Or Honda SHadow??? Whats your Preference and why

I went from Cruising a 93 Wideglide to a 05 Shadow.. i like it way better. SMoother faster less vibration...... Who else has an opinion or preference??? COmeone dont be shy

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the Inbred said:
i learned to ride on a Shadow.
your first bike was a shadow or you were on a shadow during the first few learning days? Seems like a big bike to learn on? I think I was on a ninja 250... it was the bike included with the class.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
LordOpie said:
your first bike was a shadow or you were on a shadow during the first few learning days? Seems like a big bike to learn on? I think I was on a ninja 250... it was the bike included with the class.
it was a family friend's bike. i spent my early days driving it around.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
LordOpie said:

Actually it is a good size bike But a very stable one at that. So its still good for learning.... Hmmmm maybe this is a good time to get my license!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DirtyMike said:
Hmmmm maybe this is a good time to get my license!!!
Please please please take the motorcycle safety class

Remember, this is supposed to be your first bike... not your last.

I recommend buying a lower powered used bike for your first cuz imagine how pissed you'll be when you drop it in the parking lot :dead:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
LordOpie said:
Please please please take the motorcycle safety class

Remember, this is supposed to be your first bike... not your last.

I recommend buying a lower powered used bike for your first cuz imagine how pissed you'll be when you drop it in the parking lot :dead:

Lol Well so ya know... Its not my first.....And i am taking the class for sure... i take my permit test in the am And as far as handling the bike......... most defenetly not my first expiernce on a bike.....But good to see someone stepping up and suggesting the class... i recomend it to people who Have never riddin Motorcycles before. The whole..."Maybe i should get my License" was supposed to be humorous, But two thumbs up on the catch with the class suggestion. Good call in my books

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Yeah the MSF course was the best $198 i ever spent on any class. Im riding an old 650 Nighthawk until June/July. Going with either a Ducati 999 or a Triumph ST.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
LordOpie said:
My first bike was a big ugly Yamaha 850 special triple.....not little. I weighed 150 pounds then.

Then it was sportbikes and my dad's hand me down R65. I always wanted an R90s. Lately I think it would be cool to get an old Motoguzzi.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
spincrazy said:
My first bike was a big ugly Yamaha 850 special triple.....not little. I weighed 150 pounds then.

Then it was sportbikes and my dad's hand me down R65. I always wanted an R90s. Lately I think it would be cool to get an old Motoguzzi.
I have a Guzzi, and love it... I have been thinking of selling due to all the other hobbies and with Emma around I hardly got to ride it... R90S is sweet... My wife wanted an R65... if I were to get a BMW I think I would look for an R80GS... good size for everything...

as for the Harley... Honda... without sounding like a jerk... I don't see as many Hondas broken down on the side of the road as I do Harleys... I have friends who have bunches of bikes several have both... they take the Harley to the "bar" a couple blocks away... they take any other bike they have to the "bar" across town or across the country!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
dirtyamerican said:
I never could understand that nose-cone thingy on the BMW. Is that supposed to be cool?
If you mean "COOL" as in you can see because all of the crud you can ride through with that bike isn't all over your face shield then yeah I guess it is supposed to be cool!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DirtyMike said:
Lol Well so ya know... Its not my first.....And i am taking the class for sure... i take my permit test in the am And as far as handling the bike......... most defenetly not my first expiernce on a bike.....But good to see someone stepping up and suggesting the class... i recomend it to people who Have never riddin Motorcycles before. The whole..."Maybe i should get my License" was supposed to be humorous, But two thumbs up on the catch with the class suggestion. Good call in my books
heh, you did sound experienced, but I wasn't sure :)

And some newbies would get on a bigger and/or heavier bike. I know too many idiots that get on gixxers (seems to be the most common rocket) for their FIRST bike.

Before some schmuck posts up... yes, yes, "you" had a rocket for your first bike, you didn't crash, you're a good rider today... still doesn't make it a good idea, does it?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
LordOpie said:
heh, you did sound experienced, but I wasn't sure :)

And some newbies would get on a bigger and/or heavier bike. I know too many idiots that get on gixxers (seems to be the most common rocket) for their FIRST bike.

Before some schmuck posts up... yes, yes, "you" had a rocket for your first bike, you didn't crash, you're a good rider today... still doesn't make it a good idea, does it?
agreed... take the course... even if you have been riding... they will always teach you something... and just because you were lucky so far doesn't make you a good rider!!!

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I have an 01 Shadow (Sabre) and I like it a lot. I'm storing my Dad's 98 Heritage Softail Classic in my garage at the moment, too. It's pretty comfy for the most part, but it feels really small under me. (I'm 6'6" and I feel cramped on it.) My Sabre is taller and more stretched out. I put forward controls on it and it fits pretty well. My dad, who is about 5'11" or so can't push the brake lever down all the way now, he's too short. :D

The biggest difference, though, is how sluggish his bike feels compared to the Sabre. My dad took it for a short spin last weekend and was shocked at how much more peppy it was than his. The Honda corners a lot better than the HD, too. Not that it's made for manuverability, really, but I feel like I can get into the corners a lot more than on the HD.

In other words, I think I just gave the longwinded version of Lord O' Pie's first response....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
spincrazy said:

My dad is having his 1976 R90S (Daytona Orange paint job) restored as we speak....man...that thing rox...It just looks cool sitting still. He put the Heinrich tank on it, so it holds around 8.25 gallons!! Can go about 500 miles....but my ass gets WAY too tired on that seat to go much more than about 150....hmmm...maybe that'll be my next Christmas present to him...a Corbin seat...

The first year he owned it (1977) he took off and rode to the Florida Keys...from Seattle!!

Keep the rubber side down.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Secret Squirrel said:
My dad is having his 1976 R90S (Daytona Orange paint job) restored as we speak....man...that thing rox...It just looks cool sitting still. He put the Heinrich tank on it, so it holds around 8.25 gallons!! Can go about 500 miles....but my ass gets WAY too tired on that seat to go much more than about 150....hmmm...maybe that'll be my next Christmas present to him...a Corbin seat...

The first year he owned it (1977) he took off and rode to the Florida Keys...from Seattle!!

Keep the rubber side down.
Wow, sounds sick. I'd love to see it when it's done. I bet that bike is tons of fun. Gentlemans old time sportbike. My dad rode R100s for a long time and did a lot of Ironbutt type rides (4 corners and whatnot). His friend was a big GS guy. First upgrade was always the Corbin seat.

RE: brungeman. Which Guzzi do you have, old or newish? I love those big ass cylinders, spoked wheels and solid feel to everything.I'd put cafe bars on it, but keep the rest stock depending on which I got. Harleys are a purchased lifestyle, not motorcycles.

I'd love to get a bike again. I think my favorite ever owned was a CB-1 - 400cc 4 cylinder, 13500 top rpm, very flickable and clean.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Orange and chrome - not a great shot of the Vespa, but you get the idea. It's chained up on my street a few blocks away.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
American History......Nuff said. NO one tells stories of bikers and there bad ass hondas, but the legends of true Harley men will live for ever

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

My all time favorite. I loved that bike. I have rode all my uncles Harleys, Indians, Triumphs, whatever. Nothing was as cool as that Z1.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LordOpie said:
I just came a little in my pants.

Is that bike yours?
I wish....

At some point this year I will be cutting up an XS750 frame to do something similar.

I thought about a Triumph, but I'll try an asian bike first.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Amish said:
American History......Nuff said. NO one tells stories of bikers and there bad ass hondas, but the legends of true Harley men will live for ever
But if you were to look at Japanese motorcycle sites, they build them with a better sense of style than any raked out thing you will see at a show or see on TV.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
spincrazy said:
Wow, sounds sick. I'd love to see it when it's done. I bet that bike is tons of fun. Gentlemans old time sportbike. My dad rode R100s for a long time and did a lot of Ironbutt type rides (4 corners and whatnot). His friend was a big GS guy. First upgrade was always the Corbin seat.

RE: brungeman. Which Guzzi do you have, old or newish? I love those big ass cylinders, spoked wheels and solid feel to everything.I'd put cafe bars on it, but keep the rest stock depending on which I got. Harleys are a purchased lifestyle, not motorcycles.
I like the GS's... R80GS with a Paris Dakar tank on and a corbin...:drool:
My MG is an 86 V65Lario with the 4valve/cyl. heads... the little thing really moves... I am in the MGNOC, and have a bunch of friends that ride triumphs, Ducs, Aprillia's, Nortons, and BMW's... before mairrage and Emma, I used to go to a lot of rallies, and put a lot of miles on... not so much anymore!!!:rolleyes:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
The Motoguzzis are pretty cool, I like anything quirky like that. Had a buddy with an old BMW think it was an R65, he wired in a cigarette lighter so he could light up while riding. He would lock the throttle tuck behind the wind screen and smoke away.