Quantcast

Ever think maybe your bike and percieved needs are just a little over the top?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
CBJ said:
I see a lot of people buy all kinds of stuff but then there are no money left for a good car or a Whistler trip. My advice save a little on bike parts and use it on a whistler trip or some other big mountain. For me its when you ride the mountain the bike shines and it give you memories for life were as you quickly forget about some part you bought.

i like that thinking... I'd much rather ride my crap bike at a great mountain than ride my nice bike @ a crap mtn (or hill)... but then again, I have no bike so I dunno what i'm talking about ;)

sometimes i wonder why i'm still here.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dump said:
i like that thinking... I'd much rather ride my crap bike at a great mountain than ride my nice bike @ a crap mtn (or hill)... but then again, I have no bike so I dunno what i'm talking about ;)

sometimes i wonder why i'm still here.

did SF turn you into a bitter person? ;)

Colin said:
I guess for me, living in good, 'ole flat Florida even posting in the Downhill lounge launches me into that category. Like most I've kept up with the never-ending pursuit of what I think I need in regards to frames, components, and the like.

What it really boils down to is that I love to ride and that the pursuit of newer and better things has ultimately made me ride less and less-- to the point of burning out and not riding. I mean, really, what does the Sovereign offer a trail rider like me -- who will make occasional trips to the BMX track and maybe a few DH runs a year in Georgia or the Carolinas -- that a good, solid bike like a Kona Unit or Surly 1x1 cannot? I in no way mean any disrespect to any of the aformention companies, just that I don't know if the percieved benefit is there, for me. Not, that a Sovereign with a Talas wouldn't be perfect.

thanks for listening, err reading.
yeah, i hear ya, that's why I ride evrything on my single-speed, three year old trek bruiser with a shiver sc now. I ride trails, Xc, road, street on it, and it works for everything. sure, i my not be able to pass a roadie on a 15-lb bike, or pass that one dude on the trail with an epic, but i know that i have a 1000~ machine, and that's all that i need for the moment.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Just look at the "stable" at the bottom of my post and you will see how bad I have the illness.I have a bike for every need ,and some of them are dusty.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
BMXman said:
so no riding for you? I thought your injurues would be healed by now no?....D
they're healed for walking but not healed for any serious riding... grocery store & back is basically what we're talking about.

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
so far I'm kinda lucky to be too broke to fufill my urges and wants. I'm in the process of rebuilding most of my only bike. My Santa Cruz Bullit. building it with more intent towards DH/FR. I do plan on building a HT for trails/urban/DJ and such in the future though.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
I'd be happy to just have one rideable bike.

Although I do rather lust over a Race Link, then it will be a race road bike. Then I think I will be fulfilled... I think.

Of course, then we get to components. Avalanche, 6 pots, Rohloffs :drool: mmmMmmMmMmm

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
we all have 2 things in common.....one is we love bikes and two is that we love to ride them, no matter where or what style of riding. Right now I have 2 bikes (bb7 and a chameleon). I use the bb7 for FR and DH racing. the chameleon is my DJ/XC bike. but I do want a DJ/BMX specific bike that is more burly than the chameleon. If and when I get a solid HT, I will convert the SC chameleon to a strickly XC bike. Then after that, I will definitly want a 4/5/6" agressive XC bike that can handle drops and plowing through some techy dh runs on the xc trails and even some DJ. I would also love to get a real road bike to blow out the legs and lungs every now and then. and then to top it off a low rider cruiser bike to ride to the local park and stores......but I don't have a problem, it's an addiction to the pleasure that bikes give me.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Yes, my perceived needs are most definitely over the top but it's the perception that makes it all worth while. For me, it's about having something to be passionate about. At the end of the day, the amount I've spent and the value of what I bought pales in comparison to the genuine stoke I get when a new part shows up and I get to try it out. Do I need it? No, but dayum it feels good in the moment doesn't it?

Think about all the people you know without a true passion in their lives. Aren't you glad you're not one of them? :)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
math2014 said:
It really boils down to where you live.

I live in the UK and i dont have a car yet (in the UK). Also UK has no real mountains.

Damn that pisses me off when people say that.

England is flat yes..... The UK is not flat.

D

Dingus McGee

I took a differnet path and condensed all my riding into one bike. Got married, had kids, got poor, put the wanted Turner DHR on indefinate hold and built up the generic NorCal bike=Bullit+Boxxer with many used parts from right here on RM.

I ride 50 miles a week on asphalt to/from work (I recommend the $19 50A 2.7 Mobsters everyone is blowing out) and trailride, shuttle and DH race on the the same air in tires. I'll be riding home from work on Friday and driving all night to Mammoth to race. Why am I writing this? I don't know, just another perspective.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
klunky said:
England is flat yes..... The UK is not flat.
Fine for you mainlanders - I'm in Northern Ireland and our highest hill/bump is 600m...

I haven't yet progressed to the 'stable' stage but I am beginning to realise that the nicer your bike is, the more nice stuff you want to get and the more you spend on it! Nobody told me that when I was buying a bike I am actually gonna spend its equivalent price in accessories way too soon...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Current Stable:
04 foes mono
04 ih
03 jamis eclipse road bike

Previous rides:
03 ih SGS expert
02 SGS DH
02 Mono
03 V10
03 fxr
02 nrs1
02 ac1
01 jekyll
02 craftworks rail

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In a year I have gone through a Stumpjumper FSR, an Enduro, a '99 FSR Elite, a Hard Rock built up as a 4X bike, and a Big Hit. And a trials bike and 2 road bikes.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
snowskilz said:
Current Stable:
04 foes mono
04 ih
03 jamis eclipse road bike

Previous rides:
03 ih SGS expert
02 SGS DH
02 Mono
03 V10
03 fxr
02 nrs1
02 ac1
01 jekyll
02 craftworks rail

Holy sh1t Todd - I thought I'd had alot of bikes.