Quantcast

Everything to do-SC fork? Marzocchi, BOS and Xfusion battle!

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Hi all!

This make everything complicated. Lets to start with what I will use for. I will purchase Banshee Rune V2 with CCDB air. I want to use the frame to do everything from AM, FR, Enduro to urban, bikepark, little XC even some DH. I use Dh bike as well and want to complement AM bike for my riding style.

There are three choices: air vs coil, height adjustability vs non, upphill vs downhill performance.

Listed models that Im open for (my budget covers below, around 1000 euros):
year 2013

BOS Deville TRC 160
BOS Deville 170

Marzocchi 55 TI RC3 Evo2
Marzocchi 55 Mcro TA Switch

Xfusion Vengeance HLR Coil
Xfusion Vengeance HLR DLA

Weight is no issue for me, just a bonus.What makes my decision hard is ability to climb up.

For example, for downhill, all terrain performance would no brainer choosing Marzocchi 55 Ti RC3 Evo2. Though I dont know how much it is compromised for climbing up.

Service, maintenance is important for me because I plan use the fork for many years. Again Marzocchi seems as good choice regarding that. Coil is easier to service, height adjustability makes things more complicated if TFTuned says so.

All this depends on climbing performance and how Im willing to compromise for All-round performance.

Fire away your thoughts :)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If service is important to you than avoid BOS. If you want to keep warranty you have to send them to BOS for service, which is extremely expensive.
Why is no Lyrik Solo Air 170 mm R2C2 DH on your list?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Used fox talas and avy cart. You can drop down the travel up front for climbing, its lighter and throw a avy cart in it for a LONG maintenance interval.
If the air side worries you then go VAN and Avy but it won't drop down for climbing.

As sethimus posted above as well lyrik and avy.

Basically your picking a chasis for looks, options (ie drop down for climbing, air or coil), and weight then throw the cartridge in it and basically forget about the thing for a long time.

Not a fan of the 55, xfusion makes some good stuff never ridden it (forks) but hear good things...

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I have considered to have two SC forks. One coil with Avalanche, second - air.

160 mm BOS Deville TRC and used Marzocchi 66 with adaptor for Avalanche. I see there are no adaptors for Fox forks for the same cartridge i use in 888 which I will loan to try on SC fork. I bet that seals and bushings are good enough on Zocchi 66.

It would be fun! :) I still too tempted to try out Deville. Overrated or not, I dont know hm. 3 years service for moderately ridden sounds ok.

How Avalanche works on climbing? without switch and coil on SC fork. I see that it has midvalve option, I didnt installed it yet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Avy cart with mid speed on a coil fork will be the best combo for reliability hands down....
66 and totem are a bit heavy for the application you are looking at.. had a couple friends ride boss and not impressed.

I think in terms of reliability it is
Marzocchi, rockshox then fox in stock and then air plays a role as far as a different maintenance needed.

Again can't really go wrong on any and maintenance on the big 3 is pretty easy with the exception of fox talas which is slightly more with adjustable air side...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have an avy cart with mid valve for my boxxer and it's the best pedalling fork I've hard in my dh bike.

As for X-fusion they have the cracking stanctions problem. It's nothing serious but the name will bug the crap out of you. Happened on 2 forks I know of .

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Hmmmm, I have to ask Avalanche if they can produce adaptors for 55 Ti RC3 :) Or already have you answer, Bullcrew? ;)

Norbar, your opinion about Bos Deville? :p

EDIT

I saw there are cheap 55 R and CR. It would be good to save money and its only 60gram difference and losing 10mm.

Lets see if Avalanche offers options for 55 serie.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Yeah I did see in the website. I have sent email to them and see what they will say. I think it is possible to produce adapters to remaining cart. 35mm and 160/170mm . Just like Lyrik but use threading as old 35mm Zocchi at top?

EDIT
the reason not mentioning Fox because it requires new cart. Id like have a possiblity to transfer Ava cart from 888 to SC fork to test.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Just curious, has anyone considered or ridden the SR Suntour DUROLUX TA RC2 20QLC? I have been very happy w/my TALAS RC2 (with 3 travel settings). I use the middle travel setting a lot so I am not that keen on any of the forks that offer only 2 travel settings right now. I know the Durolux has almost infinite travel settings which means it could work on multiple frames. For example, I could run it at 180mm on my Scott Voltage FR for mini-DH or drop it down to 150mm or 140mm for my Banshee Spitfire.

Anyway, is this fork any good or is there not enough info on it yet? Just curious because I'm considering a new SC fork myself but I thought this might also be a good option for the OP to consider.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
After reading and talking around European forums (mostly UK) also reading a bit of article, looking at photos.

I decided for Bos Deville fork. They who have tested RC3 Ti and Deville said that both perform same at fast rough track but at slower speed Rc3 felt softer and allow the body shift weight while Bos appears firm. Combination of Deville and Vip R shock seem to work well, planted firmly.

It is how the race fork work, I suppose. Im not surprised that Bos worked with other applications. http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Bos-Suspension-A-History-of-Victory.html

Pictures show of quality machineering (doesnt guarante every perfect seals, bushings of course) but all this is handmade then it makes the price bargain.

http://m.bikebert.pinkbike.com/album/BOS-Deville/

After all this, it is impossible to resist to try a high end fork, also to see if 500 gram weight will matter for me. For me, firm fork make sense as it helps to ascend at more agressive manner without being careful as one should on Rc3ti.

Avalanche replied that they need to gather data to see if they can produce adaptors for 55 Serie so it will take a while.

So I look forward to test Bos Deville fork, 55 with Avy cart, Air CCDB shock and Bos Vip R air shock.

Im finished with homework, lol

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Haven't heard a single bad word about X-fusion vengeance and I like their cartridge design. I haven't ridden one mind, but the nice bushing grooves on my '06 36 vans means I'll be on one sooner rather than later.

BOS are nice (I've only ridden the DH fork), but they're just too expensive for something that's very similar to fox in manufacturing (lowers overseas, cartridge in house).

X-Fusion have an extra year warranty over Fox, you can't really go wrong to try them I think.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Haven't heard a single bad word about X-fusion vengeance and I like their cartridge design. I haven't ridden one mind, but the nice bushing grooves on my '06 36 vans means I'll be on one sooner rather than later.

BOS are nice (I've only ridden the DH fork), but they're just too expensive for something that's very similar to fox in manufacturing (lowers overseas, cartridge in house).

X-Fusion have an extra year warranty over Fox, you can't really go wrong to try them I think.
With your description huffy = yeti

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
With your description huffy = yeti
Hardly the same thing. Both Fox and Bos are high end fork manufacturers, with big racing and r&d programs at the top of their game. Both make very well designed and made forks that work very well.

Try to be less of an idiot.