Quantcast

Evil Sect 140mm Bike - Let it Begin

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Are you sure the headtube's adjustable? He says it's a tapered headtube.
I'm not really sure but that was what I expected. There is nothing about a tapered head tube that stops it from being adjustable but I don't remember seeing the pinch bolts in the picture. I'll have to look again.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
That's what I figure too. When I saw the first Revolt in January it was clean but not as nice as the production bikes. This one seems to be a test mule for the geometry and suspension, not the tube set. The tubes all look more straight to me that they should. Kevin has a good eye for design and I trust that it will be more refined before it reaches the market.

I think you are right about the numbers being swapped, it probably goes from a high/steep position of 68* and 13.25 to a low/slack position of 66.5 and 13. Both the head tube and the rear end are separately adjustable; the head tube has two positions and the rear end has 4 unique settings and various combinations will leave you between the two max and min limits.

I ran into Kevin on some of our local XC trails, backed him into a corner and got the scoop on the rough prototype Sect he was riding. Being a RM whore lately I couldn't resist posting about it. The numbers he said he was shooting for were awesome for a 140mm bike imo; The low BB linkage position was lower and slacker than any other 5 inch "trail" bike that I know of, and The higher bb position, while still aggressive, was more inline with the competition if that makes sense. He said that the proto was pretty rough tube set wise and the final version would look quite a bit different. Stoked for Evil, Transition has been stepping it up too. 2 great companies in PNW that get it!

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
i think what you might be asking for is the division
Maybe, maybe not. The word on the Division is that is to be more of a mini-DH bike. I want a lightish 5-6" frame with slack as sh*t head angle. I don't really care about some/a lot of wheel flop on the up. I was just hoping that the Sect would be slacker, but I think a lot of riders would raise a stink if it was.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I saw this bike at Highland today. At first I thought it was an Evil DH bike, but it wasn't. I talked to its owner (which I guess may have been DW) he said it was 140mm travel, so I guess it was this bike the Sect. I didn't look super close, but it didn't notice it having the chip.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I saw this bike at Highland today. At first I thought it was an Evil DH bike, but it wasn't. I talked to its owner (which I guess may have been DW) he said it was 140mm travel, so I guess it was this bike the Sect. I didn't look super close, but it didn't notice it having the chip.
ha, yea that was DW.

Feb 5, 2008
B-ham
Whatever. Skip the hype and buy a bottlerocket. Delta schmelta ,who cares? Let go of the brakes and let 'er rip. Too heavy? Skip the next trip to McDonalds and go for a ride instead.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Whatever. Skip the hype and buy a bottlerocket. Delta schmelta ,who cares? Let go of the brakes and let 'er rip. Too heavy? Skip the next trip to McDonalds and go for a ride instead.
I and i don't know how many other people here have owned bottlerockets and there are 2 things wrong there. the 68* headangle and the 15" seattube they just ain't doing it for me.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Whats funny about that is lastweek a friend with a blindside took a few runs on my Revolt and at the bottom of his first run said "holy ****, how much are these?"

He took 3 more on it with no suspension changes (he probably weights within 20lbs of me) said it was night and day different from his blindside. The best way I can describe the DS is it feels alive or organic in how it reacts to the terrain. It doesn't feel passive and reacts afterwards to changes in terrain. I know that sounds absurd but that just seems the best way I can describe it.It just feels so much faster/smother and plush than anything I've ever ridden. So you better believe that when the Sect or Division come on im building one of them up.

Feb 5, 2008
B-ham
I rode the TR450 at Blackrock two weeks ago and it was set up for Cam Burnes, who weighs 20 lbs. less than I. What I found out is that a low sag added to an already low bottom bracket and uber slack head angle is a freaking blast. I've never been able to drift a bike like that. Almost without trying it stayed on line and up to speed. A Blindside compared to a Revolt is not quite apples to apples. And the Bottlrocket is also a pretty stand alone bike. Almost like a BMX with squish, which appeals to many of my friends who own them. My point is this: having ridden both the Revolt and the TR450 I favor the Transition. Having ridden with both Kevin Walsh and most of the Transition guys I can sincerely say that I favor the substance over the hype. Also let me add that no one who works for Transition would leave a guy with a blown up wheel 3 miles up on a logging road in Glacier to walk out in the dark. Especially when said guy (me) was literally a minute behind.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Better let all the steel hardtail riders know you have finally found a bike with a true "soul." The search for the grail is over. Come on home boys......;)
You joke, but it's all fun and games until all of the "alive, organic" Delta suspension systems form a networked intelligence and begin their plot for world domination.

Don't laugh. You know they'll choose DW as their titular leader.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Liking the sound of this bike. Dont know if a mini DH is what I would look at next since I am missing an aggresive trail bike. What I want to know and cant find out is, are the numbers you all throwing around based on a 160mm fork? 140mm out back sounds sweet but 160mm up front is nice, with options to drop to 140mm.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I rode the TR450 at Blackrock two weeks ago and it was set up for Cam Burnes, who weighs 20 lbs. less than I. What I found out is that a low sag added to an already low bottom bracket and uber slack head angle is a freaking blast. I've never been able to drift a bike like that. Almost without trying it stayed on line and up to speed. A Blindside compared to a Revolt is not quite apples to apples. And the Bottlrocket is also a pretty stand alone bike. Almost like a BMX with squish, which appeals to many of my friends who own them. My point is this: having ridden both the Revolt and the TR450 I favor the Transition. Having ridden with both Kevin Walsh and most of the Transition guys I can sincerely say that I favor the substance over the hype. Also let me add that no one who works for Transition would leave a guy with a blown up wheel 3 miles up on a logging road in Glacier to walk out in the dark. Especially when said guy (me) was literally a minute behind.
Dude, you're from Bellingham, with 8 posts. Me thinks your loyalties are overwhelming your objectivity.

Of course DW gets hype - his bikes and components have been piloted to loads of WC and Worlds wins.

Not dissing TBC of course, I love the look of the TR450 (that is sure geting some hype on here) and the new Covert and I am sure they will ride excellently, but I am also sure the Sect will ride excellently too - with or without hype.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Also let me add that no one who works for Transition would leave a guy with a blown up wheel 3 miles up on a logging road in Glacier to walk out in the dark. Especially when said guy (me) was literally a minute behind.
Are you implying that the guys who work at Evil would do (or have done) this to you?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it's also a moot point to this thread, lets keep it on track...

the trail conduct of EVIL and or how the TR450 rides has nothing to do with the topic.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
any news on this bike?
I spoke with Gabe @ Evil a couple weeks ago (regarding something unrelated), and I casually asked him when this bike was coming out. His response was:

- They have a few test riders shredding on prototypes.
- They're working on refining things.
- Shooting for a Fall official release. No word on availability.

I don't know anything else.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
It will be well worth the wait. Got to put some time in on the prototypes and they are an absolute blast to ride - and the production bikes are only going to get better!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ok, I have a silly question for everyone here.... Why didn't they use the DW link on their trail bike? I've been riding DW links since about 2002 (whenever the first Hollowpoints came out.. then my 7pt and MK3) and I'm now in the market for a rig to replace my MK3. I really want something with a nice slack HT in the 67degree range. Was looking at the Turner 5spot, but right now it is a little steep for my tastes. If the Evil guys had made a DW link bike in the 140mm range with a 67degree HT (with a 150mm fork), I'd be all over it. I can see how this single pivot works well on a DH bike where you have a single front ring, but on a trail bike it has to work with a tripple chainring setup... So why not go the DW-link route?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Direct competition with Turner bikes...

Why buy the cow (DW-Link) when you can get the milk (DW-"mystique") for cheaper? I don't know off hand, but maybe there are other bikes that use the DW link that offer what you want? IE ibis or pivot cycles?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I really want something with a nice slack HT in the 67degree range. Was looking at the Turner 5spot, but right now it is a little steep for my tastes.
Just run a 545mm fork on the Spot, its approved by Turner and gives you what you want.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Just run a 545mm fork on the Spot, its approved by Turner and gives you what you want.
Yeah, I might end up doing that, but I'd really like to keep the fork I have (Pike). I believe that he is going to have a 1.5in HT for 2011, so maybe I could run a 5spot with a K9 angled cup and my pike.

I was contemplating the Banshee Spitfire bc of the Geo, but I've ridden SC VPP's and the DW link and the DW is by far better (IMO) and I would imagine that the Banshee VPP is closer to the SC than to the DW. This is also the last frame I'm gonna be able to buy for quite a while (1st kid on the way) so I think I want to spend a little more for a bike that is going to have top notch quality... aka the Turner.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Direct competition with Turner bikes...

Why buy the cow (DW-Link) when you can get the milk (DW-"mystique") for cheaper? I don't know off hand, but maybe there are other bikes that use the DW link that offer what you want? IE ibis or pivot cycles?
Hey Sandwich, what ever happened to that Arrow DS-3 that you bought from me? I was just thinking the other day that it was one of the most fun bikes I've ever had. I just didn't like the "around the BB" single pivot for climbs. That bike was NINJA on the downhills though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ended up selling it. I could never get it to work for me, the geo was perfect and the frame was rad but it pedaled like CRAP and I needed it as a "do everything" bike....which it didn't do. I wish I still had it, because it railed on anything with a berm and a slight decline, but it wasn't worth the work to the top.

I think I sold it to another monkey, if you want to try and get it back I can figure out who it was.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was contemplating the Banshee Spitfire bc of the Geo, but I've ridden SC VPP's and the DW link and the DW is by far better (IMO) and I would imagine that the Banshee VPP is closer to the SC than to the DW. This is also the last frame I'm gonna be able to buy for quite a while (1st kid on the way) so I think I want to spend a little more for a bike that is going to have top notch quality... aka the Turner.
Have you ridden a VPP2 bike - they are competitive now (at least my SC BLT2 vs. my Spot)? I like my 2010 Reign X more than either, seems faster despite 30mm more travel, and its got the geometry you seek though framesets are OOS so you'd probably have to go complete.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Obvious because of my low post count? Or is it obvious because there is some widespread knowledge of the Evil Sect that is not posted anywhere on the internet that I obviously am not aware of?
i believe that evil has already finished there 2 year production run and sold though. most owner immediately scoured their Sect's in their basements in fear that they would vanish. Msg a few people on here and you might get lucky :thumb:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Is this bike selling yet? Anyone have any info? Nothing on their website. Production problems perhaps?
I'll be the nice guy here and post seriously.

This bike MAY arrive some day, but it's currently a myth. A friend of mine had some inside info about prototypes that were out there, but that's about it.

I'd just look elsewhere for a frame. Do a search here with the words "Evil" and "Carbon" to read more, but I'm warning you... It's a internet forum black hole.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

It lives!

Geometry with 150mm fork ( 520mm AC )

High - HA-67.62 BB- 13.48/342.5mm WB -44.0/1120.0 mm CS - 430mm/16.9" SA 72.8

Low - HA-66.5 BB-13.00/330.0mm WB- 44.25/1124.09mm CS - 433.97mm/17.08" SA 71.76

• Shock: 7.875 x 2.25
• ISCG05
• Integrated headset
• 142 x 12mm rear axle