Quantcast

EWR Bikes 29er Project

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Awesome Kenn! Thanks for that thumbnail. I have always thought this design would be super cool rendered in a 29"er format.

Have fun with that road race scene! Those guys are animals. And the Manayunk Wall, gotta see that someday. I have heard horror stories about it. Sounds like a pretty tough climb.

Kenn Bendajo

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
:monkeydance:

Here's the latest update, my friends. The frames are in the paint booth as I type this. If you happen to see an EWR 'esque frame with a unique green paint job, stop and take a look. It might, just mighttttt say PROTO on it somewhere. Then ask for a ride!

We should have them built in the middle of next week and we will be announcing demo ride days. Those events will be listed on our website and held in the Lehigh Valley and Southeastern PA. So keep your eye on www.ewrbikes.com. Demo rides will be priced at one micro brew to go to Kenn or Don (or a bottle of organically grown fruit juice for Jay(ewwww)).

NOTE: The first batch of OWB29er frames is almost sold out. So think about putting down a refundable deposit to ensure you get one.

Kenn
kenn@ewrbikes.com

Nov 12, 2007
The prototype large EWR OWB 29er was picked up from the painter and built up last night! Check out the the photograph on our home page - www.ewrbikes.com

I'm still stranded in Macon, GA, so I have yet to throw a leg over it, but Jay has taken i to the trails and loved it. Contact Kenn or Jay to give it a test ride and let us know your opinion of it.

Last edited:

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Wow! that green is sweet and the bike looks killer. I sure wish I was in your neck of the woods! I'd throw a leg over that in a heart beat. Nicely done.

Somebody ride this and get some feedback posted up here already!

Kenn Bendajo

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Looks like Jay and I are doing two demo rides this weekend for the OWB and the OWB29ers bikes. We are doing one on the Salisbury trails near Bethlehem and one at Wissahickon. Days/times to be determined.

For more info contact Kenn through the website - www.ewrbikes.com

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
what colors are the initial run gonna be?

Sikocycles- I agree with ya but I'm going to go ahead and order a large and hope I like the ride. I'm on an xl(25.5/21) sultan now and think with a 110mm stem instead of a 90mm this bike will rip...

very excited. now I have to wait on a couple new rebas but I know it won't be too long and a new set of hoops.

Kenn Bendajo

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hey folks, I just got this month's Dirt Rag in the mail to find a full product review on the EWR OWB29er. It has some very good detailed pics too. Thought you might be interested in checking it out.

Also, for those of you holding out for the SS version, we are building several OWB29erSS prototypes right now and you will see them at the races. ;-)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Nice write up...
Ive been following Karls write ups in the DR forums and waiting for the final outcome.
Meanwhile I'm having a blast on my owb29'er

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hooples: how tall are you? you have a large, correct?
I do have a large.. i am 6'2" and run a 100mm stem, i could have probably used a 90mm. I dont feel cramped on it at all...it feels very comfortable for me.
One of the nicer things i realize is that for a taller rider its nice to have the front end up a little bit higher than usual.. I run a 1" riser instead of a 2' on it.
Ive been using the EWR for everything lately.. its such a fun ride

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
horizontal w/ der hanger
Really?

You probably mean a track end with a hanger...something like a Surly perhaps. I think in this case I 'd rather have a regular geared frame and run a ENO eccentric hub. EBB would be ok, but I'd like sliding (paragon) drops best.

Nov 12, 2007
That fine fellow from Spooky is correct; we are using a track-style drop with a D-hanger on it. Also having Mr. Bilenky fabricate custom water-jet cut disc brake mounts so that you don't have to remove the brake caliper to change a flat.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Also having Mr. Bilenky fabricate custom water-jet cut disc brake mounts so that you don't have to remove the brake caliper to change a flat.
That's my issue with track ends and disc brakes...if you get it sorted :thumb: On-One's with the disc brake mount forward of the dropout is nice too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This

and this

Is the only way to do singlespeeds in my opinion. I think those fine cats down in PA probably agree

The guys at Dobermann bikes have a cool SS with derailleur hanger (well really it doesn't hang per set) that is disc ready too.

Check it out here:

http://www.dobermannbikes.com/hires/hr2006062602.html

It doesn't quite give you as much chainstay length adjustability, but it is pretty simple/yet effective looking in terms of execution.