Quantcast

Exclusive: The Brake that Changed Everything

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This article really makes it sound like the mag was the first brake on the market, ignoring the similarly terrible AMP, Prostop, Formula, and Sachs disk brakes that were all already on the market and stinking it up. The best thing that hayes brought to the table was a universal mounting standard (what eventually became 74mm post mount), and market acceptance via trek actually producing bikes equipped with disks from the factory.

oldschool43

Chimp
Oct 9, 2013
I live in Kenosha WI. I worked with Scott, Joel Richardson and Len Cabaltera at a local bike shop. Len left to work at a big mailorder bike shop for a few years. In 95 or 96, Len said he was working at Hayes with Kent Merrick on a disc brake. Having replaced a 3rd rear rim with a collapsed sidewall, they sounded like a good idea.
Then I ran into Len and his custom Merrick frame, Hayes equipped bike at a local criterium. It was the second bike ever equipped with Hayes brakes front and rear. Might have been pre-prodution units, they had graphics. Custom Hugi hubs. I had a chance to ride it around and loved it. Only problem, I needed a custom frame made or buy a steel frame and modify it. Len said,"We just need a few OEM's to buy into disc brakes. I hope we can, because we've put a lot into this". He seemed hopefully optimistic. Then a year or 2 later, TREK came along with the 8900. I run into Len from time to time and always forget to ask him if he ever thought the disc brake boom would end up so big. Hayes being the biggest OEM spec at one time.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
Hope and formula had decent disk brakes out at the same time as the Hayes brakes. The Hayes brakes had the most power. These brakes were a game changer on North Shore style trails.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So how did they go so far astray, and become perceived as 'dogs' within the OEM/industry?
Even if they produced a far superior brake to the XT today, they would still face a severe uphill struggle to regain market share.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Hayes never changed the brake design for 10 years. If they had kept making improvements they would have been in better shape but still would have had a difficult time batteling the big S's for OEM spec.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Because china. Decreasing reliability without improved performance all for the same cost. Each sequential brake was a step down, and Hayes didn't care until they realized how few people were buying their brakes anymore. Now they'd have to make a knockout to compete with shimano, but shimanos are sooooo cheap.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mags were the first of the reliable, mass produced, work with-most everything brakes. They never really made anything better for years though, hfx9 definitely weren't.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hope did not have decent disk brakes out until the mono m4. I'd choose the mag over the hope c2 or dh4 or mono mini, for any bike for any purpose. Ick. Mags are still relevant today, I wouldn't put anybody I care about on any hope brake before the m4