Quantcast

Expressions you hate and wish people would stop using?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I HATE when people only use the first syllable of a word and then add a Y at the end......like calling a full suspension bike a "fully"...what? you're too busy to use the whole word???

I also hate "suxxors/roxxors"

And "Later skater"....I actually heard that this weekend. I couldn't believe it.

How 'bout you?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
It drives me crazy when people say anyways rather than anyway. I also cannot stand the intention misspelling of words, such as gurl instead of girl. Of course such expressions as u, 4, r are fairly annoying. The latest round of expressions that I despise consist of maybs, and probs rather than maybe and probably.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
"sick"

"the hotness"

"bro"

"hot"

It pains me just to type those.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
When someone uses "lets take this offline" in meetings. Although I don't feel the rage coming on until after the fifth time or so.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey said:
I dated a girl who would say "unless if". As in "I can't do this unless if you can help me". Broke up with her over it.

Way to go Seinfeld!!!

The word "like" bothers me. I think I may use it more than I should but there are some girls I know who WAY WAY over use "like".

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
When someone uses "lets take this offline" in meetings. Although I don't feel the rage coming on until after the fifth time or so.
Immediately, I want to get up and punch them in the mouth. :mumble:

J

JRB

MMike said:
I HATE when people only use the first syllable of a word and then add a Y at the end......like calling a full suspension bike a "fully"...what? you're too busy to use the whole word???

I also hate "suxxors/roxxors"

And "Later skater"....I actually heard that this weekend. I couldn't believe it.

How 'bout you?
"Full suspension" is two words, ass bag. :eviltongu

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
There is one grammar mistake that drives me CRAZY! It's when people think it's wrong to use/say ME. For example: "Why don't you come to dinner with I." It's just wrong and it drives me up the wall. Not to mention that these grammar slackers try to correct you for using ME!

There are so many more: your and you're, it's and its, etc.

J

JRB

My absolute worst to hear is "right".

*I don't fu**in' care if you agree, I am just talking. :mumble:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i HATE preggo and preggers in the place of pregnant. it drives me ****ing crazy. can we be adults about the situation and just use the word pregnant. is that too much to ask.

J

JRB

laura said:
i HATE preggo and preggers in the place of pregnant. it drives me ****ing crazy. can we be adults about the situation and just use the word pregnant. is that too much to ask.
I do love to hear "bun in the oven" or "knocked up" though. :thumb:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
laura said:
Yes. Other words I detest:

awesome - this has ceased to mean anything, as the word is used to describe events or people who are mediocre or perhaps somewhat mildly impressive

"pet" names for people - unless you want me to call your wife "Dinky" also, just call her by her name when we're at dinner.

hubby - this just sounds silly. And anyway, my husband prefers "Lord Rex Magnus" (j/k)

Written words:
I'm fine with things like "c u l8r, w8 4 me" in a mobile phone sms, but it's a little tedious in a forum post.

misspelled words that appear to be typing errors but are really a poor attempt to look tough, or worse, truly a poor grasp of basic spelling are really annoying:
teh for the
there for their
your for you're
etc..

Ah... I feel much better now.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sunny said:
Yes. Other words I detest:

"pet" names for people - unless you want me to call your wife "Dinky" also, just call her by her name when we're at dinner.
i'm guilty of this. i call my husband babe. can't remember the last time i called him by his real name.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I hate when people say "heighth" instead of "height."

And by the way, there is only one "r" in garage and there are no "r's" in wash.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if/when i use "teh" in a post, it's not because i want to "look tough". it's because i'm a fast typist who doesn't always proofread.

i had no idea laura was married to a blue ox.