Quantcast

f..... shift

jay

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
germany
yesterday my x-ray grip-shift (yeah it worked nice till yesterday) broke! i counted round about 6 seperated parts.:-)

soo! i d like to buy a new one. but the new grip shift or sram do not impress me.
white industries have got a shift system made of aluminium. its nice. just saw it once in a mag.

im in search for some other products.
some recommands?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by jay
yesterday my x-ray grip-shift (yeah it worked nice till yesterday) broke! i counted round about 6 seperated parts.:-)

soo! i d like to buy a new one. but the new grip shift or sram do not impress me.
white industries have got a shift system made of aluminium. its nice. just saw it once in a mag.

im in search for some other products.
some recommands?
My GOD!!! You had an x-ray last that long????!!!!

I love the SRAM esp stuff. The 9.0 deraillers smack the chain into submission..."Shift NOW!"
The SRAM-Shimano compatible shifters have always been so-so- in IMO, they just never had a crisp feel. The 2.1 ratio just doesn't fly with twist shifters.

I run an older 9.0sl rear with 5.0 esp shifters and it's rock solid. Easy to dial in and it stays that way. And the 5.0 is dirt cheap!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
SunRace has a nice 8-speed gripshifter. It survived my test (pull out of box, shift through the full range, put back in box).

--Shibby, diggin' his Deore rapidfire/XT deraileur combo. Soon to get XT shifters though.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Yo Shibby, the XT pods are great, but can be finicky at times. Still like GripShift, but the XT pods came wiht the buildup and I didn't want to mix and match too badly.

Jay, all the new stuff from SRAM is 1000% better than the stuff that was put out during the x-ray era. I find that the Half-Pipe shifters (longer grip) are preferable to the shorties. SRAM is about the only component maker that still offers stuff for those out there who haven't switched from 7 speeds - props out to em!

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
My X-rays were origininal equipment on my bike, a 1996 Sumpjumper M2FS. I've replace just about everything else (rims, seat post, handlebar, the rear derailleur twice, the cogs and chainrings twice or thrice, etc.) but those X-rays are still going strong! I clean and lube them once a year with the cleaning kit that was made especially for it.

jay

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
germany
jaaa man you said it! those things were crazy stuff! kinda old school, and ultra strong. never had any problem with em. tried to get some new, but, guess what, you don t get any. so i bought some sram (centera), hope they last as long as the x rays but they are not the same. they are great , no question, but not the same. so trie to keep em up as long as possible. enjoy your ride. x ray for president!

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
although my geared bike is secondary, esp 9.0sl has been my choice for years and still is. You can still find the old 9.0sl shifters. I was thinking of buying a pair to have when mine give out.

Like bomberz said, they smack that chain like no other when set up correctly.