Quantcast

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I love all the people "waiting till your contracts run out" before buying this... You know you'll have the new AT&T imposed bandwidth caps, right?

And it gives you video calling, but *only* between Iphone4s, and *only* on wifi (not AT&T's network). I'm trying to think of a time when this would actually be useful, but any time that I'm in a wifi hotspot (and want to video-call) I usually have my laptop with me. If it worked over a 3g or 4g network it might be a game-changer, but I just don't really see the big deal.*

*I never seem to see the big deal in Apple products, by the way, so this really isn't anything new.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I fly every 3 or 4 weeks for work and I watch movies on my phone every time cause usually the inflight movies are some lame-ass chick flick. My gfriend takes the commuter rail to work every day and frequently watches TV shows on it on her 45 minute commute.

....so yes, there ARE people outside of your bubble that will use that function quite frequently. :)
Yep. Me too. I don't travel as much but I watch movies on my phone all the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You've also apparently never flown United's "Business" class on their old 747s. You get a 4" screen (probably from about 20 years ago) that's implanted into the seat in front of you.

(God I miss flying Cathay.... :()
Current job I don't travel (at least by plane). Last job... Cathay all the way. LAX to HK is a looooong flight.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A4 in iPad/iPhone 4, not exclusive - a Samsung ARM product Jobs sugar coated (as usual with many "exclusive" Apple features):

UBM TechInsights Verifies That the Samsung Wave S8500 [and Samsung Galaxy S] Features the Same ARM Core as the Apple iPad [and iPhone 4]
im sorry, that matters how?
Samsung manufacturers microprocessors. Apple doesnt. IBM uses the Cell processor that is used in the PS3 as does Toshiba...even in their TV's

the Iphone 4 and Ipad will fail!! :panic:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
im sorry, that matters how?
Samsung manufacturers microprocessors. Apple doesnt. IBM uses the Cell processor that is used in the PS3 as does Toshiba...even in their TV's
Because Apple/Jobs is full of sh*t as usual. And its not just the same family, its the same exact core.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Because Apple/Jobs is full of sh*t as usual. And its not just the same family, its the same exact core.
ohh no! he lied and said they designed it?!?

i still dont see how that has any bearing on how the Iphone will probably outsell any Samsung phone that will ever be produced.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i still dont see how that has any bearing on how the Iphone will probably outsell any Samsung phone that will ever be produced.
Samsung makes money off every iPhone due to various components they design and supply Apple. Samsung's handset sales easily surpass Apple's. Most of the world does not use smartphones - Samsung sells millions of more cellular handsets in a quarter than Apple sells in a year.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Samsung makes money off every iPhone due to various components they design and supply Apple. Samsung's handset sales easily surpass Apple's. Most of the world does not use smartphones - Samsung sells millions of more cellular handsets in a quarter than Apple sells in a year.
of course they make money off of every phone Apple sells. thats usually what happens when you are a parts supplier/designer.
i still dont see how that has ANY bearing on how this phone will sell like hotcakes...just like every other Iphone that will ever be produced. so Jobs lied and said they designed the chip...big whoop

and i didnt say outsell EVERY phone model Samsung sells.

i really think my custom title should be yours :think:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
strategic planning or dumb luck?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10257411.stm

Adobe says the vulnerability potentially enables hackers to take control of affected computer systems.

Users running Windows, Macintosh or Linux might all be open to attack.

The company is working to fix the problem. In the meantime, users of Reader, Acrobat and Flash are advised to ensure their anti-virus software is up to date.

"It doesn't really get any worse than a 'zero-day' vulnerability like this," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos, a security software company.

Affected software
Continue reading the main story Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2 and earlier 10.0.x versions for Win, Mac, Linux and Solaris
Adobe Flash Player 9.0.262 and earlier 9.0.x versions for Win, Mac, Linux and Solaris
Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.3.2 and earlier 9.x versions for Win, Mac and UNIX
Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Release Candidate does not appear to be vulnerable
Adobe Reader and Acrobat 8.x are confirmed not vulnerable
Source: Adobe
He said that hackers could create a "booby-trapped Flash animation, or PDF" that would give them access to a person's computer, potentially allowing them to harvest personal information or use the machine to send spam messages.

Apple has been criticised for preventing its popular iPhone and iPad devices from viewing Adobe Flash animations and videos.

Apple boss Steve Jobs recently wrote an open letter explaining that Adobe's Flash was, amongst other things, "the number one reason Macs crash".

Mr Cluley said: "The more people who are concerned about Adobe's products and the ability for them to be written securely, the more it backs up Steve Jobs' argument that Adobe's software is buggy.

"The crux of the problem is that Adobe have overloaded some of their programs with so many bells and whistles, that with lots of code, there is a much higher chance that there will be a bug.

"This vulnerability exploits a feature of a PDF file format that will not be widely used.

"A simpler code might have led to a simpler life."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Does not affect the newest versions of Flash so its a non-issue. There are far more vulnerability and patches issued for browser and OS problems (Apple products or otherwise).

Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Release Candidate does not appear to be vulnerable
Plus the RC's have GPU acceleration - I've been running them problem free since release on Windows and Linux.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'm getting one. My contract is just up. Work pays my cell bill, so for $200 I can get a nice upgrade and sell/pass on my flawless 3G.

I love the glass/stainless sandwich design. Glad I skipped the 3GS.

But I'm waiting to see if there are any first gen flaws before buying.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
If you don't want one or don't like it, don't buy one and stop bitching. I don't get why Apple gets the target of all the negativity. It's not like you are getting a gun put to your head to buy one.

I still have the original iphone that I bought over 3 years ago and have been waiting for this new version to upgrade. This phone will fix pretty much all of this little things that I have wanted on my original one. It does everything I want it to do functionality-wise and is easy to use. I don't have any of the problems people complain about with AT&T. Everyone seems to love Verizon, but my friends with Verizon have their own problems. Let's face it, no carrier is perfect.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Current job I don't travel (at least by plane). Last job... Cathay all the way. LAX to HK is a looooong flight.
JFK to HKG is a LOOOOOOONGER flight. ~15 hours, wheels up to wheels down. However, it's far preferable to the 30 hour Madison -> Detroit -> Tokyo -> HKG that I've been taking recently. Combine that with no tv's in the headrests, worse food and uglier flight attendants, and you get a pretty good idea as to why I miss Cathy...

/derail

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
JFK to HKG is a LOOOOOOONGER flight. ~15 hours, wheels up to wheels down. However, it's far preferable to the 30 hour Madison -> Detroit -> Tokyo -> HKG that I've been taking recently. Combine that with no tv's in the headrests, worse food and uglier flight attendants, and you get a pretty good idea as to why I miss Cathy...

/derail
Find a better company :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

/derail
derail

which route are you taking from jfk to hkg that's only 15 hours? lax to hkg is around 14... +/- an hour or 2 depending on which way you're going and how strong the winds are

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
derail

which route are you taking from jfk to hkg that's only 15 hours? lax to hkg is around 14... +/- an hour or 2 depending on which way you're going and how strong the winds are
Up over the north pole, then through Siberia, China, and ends in HKG. Flight time is listed as 16:05 (nonstop), but that's padding a half-hour on each end for taxiing to and from the gate. It's really the only way to go from NY to HK.

Flying back is also nonstop, but flies a normal route up by Alaska, and depending on tailwind is usually between 13.5 and 14h. Plus only Airbus A340s can do it (747s don't have the range?), so you're guaranteed a newer, nicer plane than some of the other routes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Up over the north pole, then through Siberia, China, and ends in HKG. Flight time is listed as 16:05 (nonstop), but that's padding a half-hour on each end for taxiing to and from the gate. It's really the only way to go from NY to HK.

Flying back is also nonstop, but flies a normal route up by Alaska, and depending on tailwind is usually between 13.5 and 14h. Plus only Airbus A340s can do it (747s don't have the range?), so you're guaranteed a newer, nicer plane than some of the other routes.
oh ok. from LAX it's pretty direct, but arcs up over the pacific some.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn.

This weekend has seen a flurry of activity about digital rights, but the biggest news dropped Monday morning, when the FCC announced that it had made the controversial practice of “jailbreaking” your iPhone — or any other cell phone — legal.

Jailbreaking — the practice of unlocking a phone (and particularly an iPhone) so it can be used on another network and/or run other applications than those approved by Apple — has technically been illegal for years. Most jailbroken phones are used on the U.S. T-Mobile network or on overseas carriers, or are used to run applications that Apple refuses to sell, such as Safari ad-blocking apps, alternate keyboard layouts, or programs that change the interface to the iPhone's SMS system and the way its icons are laid out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
rumors abound that tmobile will legitimately get the iphone by the end of the year.
they've unofficially "supported" it for quite some time. I remember a ~year ago they pushed down some infrastructure upgrades that caused issues with the jailbroken iphones on their network. Users made them aware of this, and they took steps to correct it.