Quantcast

Fast meals that don't taste fast...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, who cheats?

What I mean is, who has a recipe involving off-the-shelf goods that ends up being fast and easy, and tastes 90% as good as doing everything from scratch?

Just wondering, because I've done two batches of spaghetti sauce in the past week that were using Prego as a base and doctoring them up heavily. A hundred times easier than starting with tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatos, but tastes pretty darn good when you get done.

What I did:

Dumped into a big pot one supersize plastic jar of Prego sauce.

In a food processor, diced up a cup or so each (depending on the desired taste) of celery, carrots and onions, and two+ cups of mushrooms.

Sauteed the veggies in a big pan or wok in olive oil, until carrots are soft and onions are transparent.

Added to the pot with the sauce in it. Added chopped up parsley, lots of basil, some oregano, some black pepper to taste. Added a half cup of olive oil (skip if you don't want the calories) and a cup of white wine. Started to simmer and walked away - I let it cook for about 40 minutes or so. Added some salt to taste.

Tastes 85% as good as doing it from scratch, and takes about 25% of the time, with less mess as well. If you're really stingy, you can sautee the veggies in the same pot you cook the sauce in, which brings the total washable items down to the food processor, a knife, a cup measure, a stirring spoon, and a big pot.

Anyone else?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
So, who cheats?
<snip>
Just wondering, because I've done two batches of spaghetti sauce in the past week that were using Prego as a base and doctoring them up heavily. A hundred times easier than starting with tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatos, but tastes pretty darn good when you get done.
I find almost any mass-produced sauce has too much sugar for my taste.

That said - doctoring them up definitely would improve them.

Although it *really* isn't much easier dumping in a jar vs. dumping in a can of plain tomato puree and a few spices........ :p

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Although it *really* isn't much easier dumping in a jar vs. dumping in a can of plain tomato puree and a few spices........ :p
Oh yes it is... cooking time is drastically reduced, cleanup is reduced, no chopping of canned tomatos, no spatulas, no can openers, no cans to clean up, no guesswork with adding tomato paste, stirring it through, adding a little more etc., less to buy at the grocery store...

Making a really good batch of spaghetti sauce is, for me, an all day event. Perhaps you are less discerning...? ;) :p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I cheat with spaghetti sauce as well. Prego is the base I use. I save the homemade tomato sauce for pizza. BV is right, good sauce takes way too long to make :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Ever since I started making my own sauce, no more stuff out of a jar for me. I find it's not very time-consuming on the preparation end. I slow cook it for hours in the crock-pot at night after work or on the weekends when watching football and basketball. Go over and stir it every once in awhile.

Make up a bunch of extra sauce, and freeze some. Defrosting sauce is pretty easy. :) :evil:

Best quick meal EVER off the shelf, and requires no cooking or prep:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Silver said:
I cheat with spaghetti sauce as well. Prego is the base I use. I save the homemade tomato sauce for pizza. BV is right, good sauce takes way too long to make :D
Yup, me too. I also use store-bought bbq sauce, though it usually goes in a bowl next to the meat, not on the meat during/after cooking.

Also, though I'll cook a pot of beans from scratch every few months, we do Ranch Style beans on a regular basis (mmm, laaaaaard). I can have beans, rice, and sausage on the table in less than 30 minutes, including prep time, and the kids wolf it down.

We also do Zatarains meals-in-a-box, which usually take about 30 minutes start-to-finish. It's kinda salty but my wife loves it. We have friends who are "real" Cajuns, win gumbo cookoffs, etc, but my wife prefers the Zatarains to their cooking.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
who doesn't cheat? I love cooking meals from scratch but I don't have the time everyday to do so.

we often buy an already cooked whole chicken (it's actually cheaper then buying chicken parts) and use the meat for various things such as tacos, soups, nachos or what have you.

a can of cheap spagetti sauce can be made tastier by adding fresh spices, garlic and meat.

did I tell you we can buy bulk, assorted intestines at the store around the corner from my house? :blech:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pnj said:
who doesn't cheat? I love cooking meals from scratch but I don't have the time everyday to do so.
Of course everyone cheats - I'm asking for your cheater recipes!

Share!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, asides from the above mentioned mexi type food using a whole cooked chicken (and I'm really not sure that it saves anytime because I take 20 minutes or so to de-meat the damm thing.....:)) we use the same meat for Ramen noodles.

not 10 for a dollar ramen. the good stuff. then we add some fresh stuff like basil, onion, carrots etc for soup/ramen.

uh...that's all I can think of right now.:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
<snip>Making a really good batch of spaghetti sauce is, for me, an all day event. Perhaps you are less discerning...? ;) :p
I'm amazed that you would be able to substitute Prego, then. :p

I don't make "spaghetti sauce" anymore. Occasionally I'll make an "authentic" Bolognese, which *is* an all day affair..... but other than that I make a nice, quick, tomato based sauce..... usually with cream.... and almost always fresh basil. :drool:

I can tolerate jar/canned sauce in some things (like a Tuscan chicken recipe we have occasionally), but for tossing with pasta, it's not worth it.

-S.S.-

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Polenta. Either the pre-made tube or the box of instant...hell, even from scratch it is quick & painless.
Throw it on the grill, saute it, fry it in olive oil, melt a piece of smoked mozarella on it...It would be good with the sauces yall have mentioned too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TN said:
Polenta. Either the pre-made tube or the box of instant...hell, even from scratch it is quick & painless.
Throw it on the grill, saute it, fry it in olive oil, melt a piece of smoked mozarella on it...It would be good with the sauces yall have mentioned too.
Mmmm........ polenta......... I had a great polenta in Verona. :drool:

-S.S.-

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Black Beans & Rice! :thumb:

1 can Progresso Black Bean Soup
Either ground beef or some good sausage
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup goood salsa

Get your rice a steamin...

Saute the beef/some diced onion or the sausage
Pour in the Black Bean soup
Pour in the tomatoes
pour in the salsa

Heat/simmer - walk away for like 25min or so...stirring every so often

Dish up - cupful rice, cupful black bean sauce.

Also for the vegetarians - this is great without the beef/sausage, or you can use ground turkey, or some of the new chicken sausages that are sooo delish. :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TN said:
God I love from scratch polenta. I like to put leaks in mine :love: