Quantcast

Favorite Grips in 2021?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Stumbles onto Burgtech grips which have a similar ribbed pattern, but across the whole grip. I feel this increases the initial diameter but has some give unlike the Rouges. Soft compound makes them nice and grippy and I feel the combo of ribbed pattern with the soft compound provides some damping.

Which burgtec grips?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Ooo, 2mm fatty than my usual Oury's. I may have to investigate.
I tried the ESI Silicone extra chunky ones once, 34 mm thick. My hands turned numb with paraethesia within 15 min of riding on all of the three rides I had them installed. Switched back to the regular chunky 32 mm ones and the phenomena were gone for good. YMMV ofc

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What is everyone digging for grips? I use to really dig most lock on grips, but many are going to single clamp design. For our tight trails any grips with soft rubber on the end of the grip mean that scraping trees become instant OTB when that sticky rubber catches.
Are you really trying to believe that there is a difference in going over the bars when tagging a tree with a metal pinch collar on the end of the bar versus sticky rubber from a single clamp grip?

I have some blinker fluid I'd like to sell you.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've been going back and forth between OneUps and ODI Elite Pros the last year and a half. The OneUp flanges and the ODI half waffle feel good for finger contact, so I loosen my grip a bit. The OneUp rubber on the end is a little softer, but I like the more pronounced outer flange of the ODI, and the thickened palm section is really nice too.

The last couple weeks I've been trying the RevGrips because a couple buddies rave about them, but I'm unconvinced so far.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I felt the plastic core of the Revgrips too much, didn’t like.
Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what I'm feeling and not liking. Even though they were still 31mm like my other 2 favorite grips, they felt harder underhand than the others. I'm also getting hotspots that I suspect are from overgripping, maybe due to the whole rotation "feature."

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I liked the Revgrip a lot until one day the outer collar loosened a little and the suspension guts dropped on a trail. Then I could not loosen the other end, rounded the bolt and then just drilled the fuck out it and replaced it with simple grips again.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
They are also 20mm wider, so they are really nice for wide hands but don't pair nicely with short lever blade brakes (ie don't try 'em if you use shimano brakes).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looking good already, received a proper cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and a brush, followed by 3 stitches. :thumb:

Did a short ride yesterday, works so far.
100% with you on gloves....
Gloves are for keeping skin on hands.....I've also torn skin off hands on stupid diggers on the sandpaper rock we have here...

$20 for gloves
Or
$80 resort ticket, $ drive, $ room time riding away from wife $priceless (kidding she rides but xc, so sort of rides)
I'll ruin gloves and keep riding cheaper, more fun...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been using the Chromag Squarewave grips since last summer and like them. Only thing is that they've worn faster that the ODI Crosstrainer grips I've used for the last decade.

Kind of want to try the OneUp grips though

Got a pair of the OneUp grips in the mail just now.

Super squishy.

Obvious no metal outer ring, but there is a hard piece under the grip to mimic one.

Interestingly, there is a portion of the grip that doesn't have the plastic tube portion that all lockon grips have. So the squishy grip part will contact the bar directly, if that makes sense. Will be interesting to see how these feel.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what I'm feeling and not liking. Even though they were still 31mm like my other 2 favorite grips, they felt harder underhand than the others. I'm also getting hotspots that I suspect are from overgripping, maybe due to the whole rotation "feature."
I exchanged emails with the guy at RevGrips and he's sending me a different set of the grips (RG5s) and softer inserts. His diagnosis was that the Half Waffles I was using were too small for my hands, causing both my hand to rotate over the grip (causing hot spots) and over-gripping to compensate (causing arm pump). I'll give those a shot to see. The RG5 pattern was the other one I was eyeing initially. I just made plans for a Northstar trip next month, so it'll be great if these things perform as advertised for that.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Got a pair of the OneUp grips in the mail just now.

Super squishy.

Obvious no metal outer ring, but there is a hard piece under the grip to mimic one.

Interestingly, there is a portion of the grip that doesn't have the plastic tube portion that all lockon grips have. So the squishy grip part will contact the bar directly, if that makes sense. Will be interesting to see how these feel.
They're very thin. "Tackiness" was decent, but I prefer a thicker grip. I wound up putting them on my kid's bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They're very thin. "Tackiness" was decent, but I prefer a thicker grip. I wound up putting them on my kid's bike.
Yeah they feel a little slim. We'll see...

I'd buy the Chromag grips again, even the poo brown ones, but they aren't in stock. :(

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Fiiiiine,
size small glove right, XS left, but can’t ever find any stock so i ride gloveless.
Recently tried the oneup grips, fuck those suck. Horrible compound(too hard, useless in the wet), the part that isn’t plastic backed bunches up in my palm like a plastic bag full of dogshit and generally feels vague AF. They make nice pedals though!

For lock ons, I’m partial to chromag format grips(new out of the box) or sensus dissisdaboss grips that are close to worn out. Eventually the Format’s break down and the plastic under the end cap starts to push through. I can’t get more than 4 months or so out of a set, so it’s a bit of a tradeoff…

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fiiiiine,

Recently tried the oneup grips, fuck those suck. Horrible compound(too hard, useless in the wet), the part that isn’t plastic backed bunches up in my palm like a plastic bag full of dogshit and generally feels vague AF.
Sheesh, could have posted a few days ago before I ordered these things. :busted: :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also, the new V2 Oury Slip-on grips are the best version of Ourys yet, if any of y'all swing that way.
That's what I just put on the new DH bike, but I want to try those Meaty Paws as they're slightly fatter again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fiiiiine,
size small glove right, XS left, but can’t ever find any stock so i ride gloveless.
Recently tried the oneup grips, fuck those suck. Horrible compound(too hard, useless in the wet), the part that isn’t plastic backed bunches up in my palm like a plastic bag full of dogshit and generally feels vague AF. They make nice pedals though!

For lock ons, I’m partial to chromag format grips(new out of the box) or sensus dissisdaboss grips that are close to worn out. Eventually the Format’s break down and the plastic under the end cap starts to push through. I can’t get more than 4 months or so out of a set, so it’s a bit of a tradeoff…
Completely unrelated are you going to snowshoe wc?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I wear an XL glove from most companies, sometimes an XXL if things run small (Troy Lee). I still like thinner grips though, and the thin, race compound Deathgrip is easily my favorite to date.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wear an XL glove from most companies, sometimes an XXL if things run small (Troy Lee). I still like thinner grips though, and the thin, race compound Deathgrip is easily my favorite to date.
have you used knuckledusters too? there's some similarities between the two, and was wondering how they compare.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'd like to see hbar companies go the route SDG does with their kids bars - smaller diameter on the grip ends, then the extra space could be used for thicker grips with the same outer grip diameter. I only wear a size large glove, but like thick gips as thin ones hurt my hands.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Jesus... 4XL? I'm pretty sure you're part Sasquatch.
Just big...my dad was impressive....not ripped but logger big....man was a bear
Solid 3XL with some minimal break in to fit on most....some won't stretch. They have to be light weight summer style. I had 1 pair of 4xl they fit right out the gate and we're heavier duty.

Shopping is a major pain I'm the ass, there's compromise with almost everything....

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thank you! I may have to try them… I love slip-on grips so much though.

Super wide grips are great!

I love mine. Ordered sets for all my bikes, after the first ride. I am an Xl/xxl glove size.

Didn’t notice much difference in diamater coming from 32mm, but really liked the extra width.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I only wear a size large glove, but like thick gips as thin ones hurt my hands.
Have you considered push on grips? The plastic sleeve on the lock on grips takes space and doesn't allow much damping.
I have tried to go that route so far I like the Swayze single ply and I have some MacAskill push ons to try. I still would like to find some ergonomic push on grips if that exists...?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Different stokes… thin grips feel like holding drinking straws to me.

I’m around XXL in hand length but often have to squeeze into XLs to avoid having a baggy palm.

Mostly I don’t wear gloves though.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Have you considered push on grips? The plastic sleeve on the lock on grips takes space and doesn't allow much damping.
I have tried to go that route so far I like the Swayze single ply and I have some MacAskill push ons to try. I still would like to find some ergonomic push on grips if that exists...?
I've definitely considered going back to push on. Have held off for wrenching reasons, but may change my tune for awhile after hand surgery.