• Drop Zone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clif Drop-to-roller-to-berm

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Pip's Hips

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • K Line (big jump line)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Nick's Kicks (small and medium jump lines)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Limestone Loop

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Tqualu beginner area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER (please name/describe)

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It had to be done!

Let's say that a big-scary monster came thru and destroyed all but one section, which one would you hope remained intact? Since I may forget a section, I will leave an "other" option for you...just post the name so I know what I spaced-out.

This should be interesting!:cheers:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I am the one that posted other, because I would kick the arse of any monster that tried to touch any part of phase II. Meaning I like phase II. Peace out, Monster punks. Oh by the way, watch the new Colonnade video on Bones Over Metal or the Monster will have his way with your favorite section.

Last edited:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It's really impossible to vote because it changes all the time or as I get better. I am not sure what some lines are called - ie the Mike Westra line?:brow:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
your talking about the one off the top, skinny off the pump track to the acid drop to the techy north shore bit to the 2 wall rides? I think that is called the off ramp, check the signs next time you are there, that is one of my favorate lines there as well.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
It's really impossible to vote because it changes all the time or as I get better. So which is the Mike Westra line?:brow:
That is the one fuzzycatnuts is describing...Off Ramp may have been the name before it got the name Ekim Artsew. Coincidentally, that is Mike Westra's name backwards!

There are a whole slew of non-existent trails/lines there, Tim! I still keep discovering new and different lines in the Limestone Loop section alone.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The best line there is from the lip of the big tabletop OVER and into the wooden berm that sits to the left of the lip. I'm still waiting for someone to do it....:)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The best line there is from the lip of the big tabletop OVER and into the wooden berm that sits to the left of the lip. I'm still waiting for someone to do it....:)
I am looking at doing the reverse of what you're mentioning...off the wood and land backside on the table. It would take a massive effort to pull off the table-to-wood, but I'd watch somebody else do it!:banana:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That is the one fuzzycatnuts is describing...Off Ramp may have been the name before it got the name Ekim Artsew. Coincidentally, that is Mike Westra's name backwards!
Ekim Artsew the name was created by John Lang. They needed to get that trail named for the opening, and Mike was so focused on getting stuff done, he couldn't really think of a name. John was at the sign shop so he spelled his name backwards just to get a sign done.
Later someone came up with the name Off-Ramp as part of the history of our now defunct late night music scene. The Off-Ramp sign got done with the batch of Tqalu animal signs, so if it's not posted yet, it's because it's sitting in Westra's truck or something.

There are a whole slew of non-existent trails/lines there, Tim! I still keep discovering new and different lines in the Limestone Loop section alone.
Remember when you guys helped on the trail that's called Fisher Line? The idea was to extend to the Limestone, an easy flow trail. Been working on designing a connector, but i don't know if it will ever happen. There are many task and projects that need to be done before that ever happens.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Yes, I knew what Ekim Artsew was...backwards that is, but not what line. :p So if that's the top most line in Phase 2, then I would say Ekim Artsew and then coming down into the wall ride to the "Schleyer drop" would be my favorite. What is the line called that contains the "Schleyer drop"?

Maybe with the new grant money for maintenance - if we get it - some new things could be done?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The schlayer drop is now "Cliff Drop" sponcerd by Cliff bar.

We dont have to wait for money or anything to build new stuff (maybe limited on wood and space) just need people that will build it. If you have something in mind you want to fix up or build a new option talk to Mike Westa, or me or Andy and we can see what can be done. I would like to put a few buckets of dirt on the landing for the table top and rainbow bridge at some point, but with the work at Duthie and summer coming I am not sure when that will happen.....

-Kim

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
The schlayer drop is now "Cliff Drop" sponcerd by Cliff bar.

We dont have to wait for money or anything to build new stuff (maybe limited on wood and space) just need people that will build it. If you have something in mind you want to fix up or build a new option talk to Mike Westa, or me or Andy and we can see what can be done. I would like to put a few buckets of dirt on the landing for the table top and rainbow bridge at some point, but with the work at Duthie and summer coming I am not sure when that will happen.....

-Kim
We definitely ride at Colonnade alot as we can get there from home in less than 20 minutes so going after work during the week now. We're not knowledgeable builders but if something needs to be patched up or watered we can do it. It used to be we'd see Mike there and could ask him but if you need something done, just let us know (Linda and Ray).

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
We definitely ride at Colonnade alot as we can get there from home in less than 20 minutes so going after work during the week now. We're not knowledgeable builders but if something needs to be patched up or watered we can do it. It used to be we'd see Mike there and could ask him but if you need something done, just let us know (Linda and Ray).
Cool, thanks! Funny. After the first sentence on the quoted post, I was thinking "that sounds like Linda and/or Ray"!:bonk:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

-Kim
Depends, what you're thinking and what i'm planning are pretty different. Have already completed little alterations and more will be done to the Tqalu. That's just normal for a new trail build, as your work on the lips demonstrated. i know the drainage is extremely important to the South side, there is real danger of severe damage there, not any really on the North. But that's what's going to be the primary focus is drainage this year. Might not be so glizty, but having enourmous chasms or blown out retaining walls isn't very fun to do. The power of water has no equal in nature.
That's why it's probably better to encourage people to focus on tying up the loose ends and problems as best as possible, instead of focusing on too much new work.
And the project i envision would likely help Evergreen out, it would be a 2 year build, wouldn't have to be a consecutive build, and it could start in one year or five years from now. Depends on the motivation and schedule of many people. But the final product would be a fun trail all levels could enjoy, a nice off the brakes flowy descent.
Time will tell... may not ever happen?

Last edited:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I spent a bunch of time building drainage on my line then someone came in and filled it over with dirt (at least on the section right before the table top). This will be a great lesson on building drainage, really hard to make it last, dirt likes to make its way into the drainage and clog it up, even without the help of stupid people.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I spent a bunch of time building drainage on my line then someone came in and filled it over with dirt (at least on the section right before the table top). This will be a great lesson on building drainage, really hard to make it last, dirt likes to make its way into the drainage and clog it up, even without the help of stupid people.
Hmm yah i put in like 150 feet of french drain from the Teeter Totters following the road to next to the Roller Corner, where it becomes a submerged drain underneath the Log Rollovers to the drain next to a column. We rented that Ditch Witch and that really helped the process out. Used the Ditch Witch and created a long french drain above the pumptrack too, but it got buried over like yours.

Some may remember the Pumptrack being a pool, imagine if the wall on the West side had blown out and all those tons of water flooded down the jump lines... destructor. Good thing Mike Wad and the boys built a fence to keep off everybody and their brother that would have walked/rode on that wall to cross back and forth.

That's why i use fences alot on the Tqalu. By watching what people did, i could put in places to eliminate cross-traffic accidents, and avoid trail damage and dust damage from people riding off trail. With your trail it's going to be a bit tougher because you have fall hazards to think of, if you wind up thinking a fence or log somewhere might help...

The way we built the North side we have alot less dust so all the drains work pretty good, only a couple times when we had the enormous amount of snow/rain a while back did i notice that the drain hadn't caught as much as it normally does, and the middle part got pretty soaked. But i don't really mind that at all.

The Limestone Loop is a trail that is pretty much indestructible, the way it was built. There is only one place that bucks water, and it's so reinforced with retaining it's pretty unlikely a big flood would take out too much.

If you guys are doing any ditchwork that's next to a dust section it might be better to get some small cobble or crushed rock and replace the dust with rock above a drain. Or sweep off the dust and use that soil hardener... But there is alot of work to be done, the combination of that dust and drainage is bad. Bad in the winter for clogging up drains, and bad in the summer for giving you dusty boogers.

At any rate there's still work to be done (including the Tqalu). It's better to fix it now than to wait and have to rebuild something that got blown out.

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The one thing I'd REALLY like to see happen at Colonnade would be to get some kind of vegetation to spring up on the backsides of the drops and most of the hillsides that sport loose dirt. Perhaps, in time, the ivy will spread? Otherwise, we could spread that stuff they use for Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Pets?!?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
My fav is actually Joel's woodwork and the swivel teeter.

I planted a bunch of ferns along the wet side of the Octagon, etc. I think they all died from the crappy soils despite the large holes and added mulch. Will have to see what lived this spring. May spread some native flower/grass seed over there now that there's some shredded organic to hold moisture and see what happens.

Supposedly, there's a Duthie to Colonnade fern transfer some day.