Quantcast

Fell Mountain Trail Ride

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Location - Merli Sandowski State Park - Carbondale, PA (between Binghamton, NY and Scranton, PA). PM me for directions

Date: Either the 14th (preferred) or 15th - depends on what works best for the most people

Time: Noonish

Length: 14 Techno-Miles

References: MtnBikerNJ, Jacksonpt, and Fell Mountain thread

General Info: 100% natural flowing rocky terrain with tons of variety - best flowing technical trails I've ridden. Definately worth 160 mi. drive for me.

We do a 14 mi. loop (main loop is less than half of that, so you need to know the proper order) - only a 1 mi. or so is doubletrack/road - all the rest is singletrack - at least 2 mi. of slickrock trail. Pete's Brother's trail is mind blowing. Very rocky, so its ok to ride there even when wet, just a bit more challenging with the sliding. Bicycling magazine ranked it as one of the top 10 trails in USA. Best of all - we almost never see anyone there - no riders, no hikers, its totally empty on the trails for the most part.

So, who is in?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Don't do it... He'll kill ya - he tried to kill me, but I got away, just barely!

Just kidding. I rode the trails a few weeks ago, right before Mountain Bike Weekend. Great trails, especially if you like rocky technical stuff. It was real wet and slippery when I rode it, which was a bit much for me, but I can't wait to get back when I'm in better shape.

Only 1 real climb, but lots of techy stuff, mostly rocks - from baby heads to table tops. Would be a good ride in the dry, it was a pain in the wet though.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
at least you bailed before actually committing to going!

i do have to say that the trail is seriously fun. Can't wait to do it again actually... of course its been about a month for me since i've been on a bike!

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
How're conditions down at Merli now? I'm out in Idaho, so I'm curious, and won't be making the ride, but I've heard it's been raining out there a lot this summer. Man, be glad you have Merli. Out here, it's the total opposite. Sandy trails out on the side of foothills with almost no rocks, exposed to the sun, no trees, sooooooooooooooo boring.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Conditions are good at Merli. They were even decent when I was riding there in light rain w/Jackson. I haven't been there in a month or so but that place usually does great when its wet cause you are riding on a durable surface (rock) most of the time...

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Thanks for the invitation Josh, but we already have 2 rides we need to choose from on this exact date.

The way you described this trail, we will probably try to do it at some point.

Will let you know.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Deyv said:
Thanks for the invitation Josh, but we already have 2 rides we need to choose from on this exact date.

The way you described this trail, we will probably try to do it at some point.

Will let you know.
Sounds good.

I was thinking I could also do a weekend trip and possibly ride around Ithaca also - Shindgan, Hammond Hill, Jenksville, Chenago, Oakley Corners, etc... Those places are North of Fell, so that might be an option for you as well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds really good...maybe I'll be around for that weekend, keep us updated on what happens. What time would you be going? It looks like at least a two hour trip, but it's just 81 south, so it won't be impossible.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sandwich said:
Sounds really good...maybe I'll be around for that weekend, keep us updated on what happens. What time would you be going? It looks like at least a two hour trip, but it's just 81 south, so it won't be impossible.
Its about 2 hrs. and 30 minutes for me. I was thinking around noon for a meeting time, but maybe later - depending on who is coming.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
syadasti said:
Sounds good.

I was thinking I could also do a weekend trip and possibly ride around Ithaca also - Shindgan, Hammond Hill, Jenksville, Chenago, Oakley Corners, etc... Those places are North of Fell, so that might be an option for you as well.
I've been wanting to go to Fell for a while, 2+ hour drive from here, but it sounds worth it. As for the Ithaca area, it is unbelievably wet around here. The normally dry areas of Shindagin are soaked at the moment. It was also partially logged last year if you haven't been there in a while, there are plenty of new ruts. If we get some dry days it may not be bad by the 14th weekend. Chenango is always dry for the most part but not terribly exciting as you know.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I invited the NY Dirt Riders on Saturday, so far 4 have accepted and more possible:

Bill W., Barry D., Mike M., and Robert C.

Should be a great ride :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Update

Date: Saturday the 14th

Time: Noon

PM me for directions from 81 (you can mapquest to carbondale and it should get you to 81)...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Update II

Tom L. and Chris M. from the NY Dirt Riders have signed up for the ride. The list grows... :thumb:

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
sounds fun... have a garage sale to put on though... seriously, i'm even selling stuff to get the new business up (and clear sheot out of the house...)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Today they are only supposed to get .14" rain over 4 hrs of the day - should firm up the dry spots, but its mostly rocky, so no problem either way. Tonight, no rain for the area:

Tonight
Partly cloudy; fog late
Low 50° F

Saturday 8/14
Times of clouds and sun
High 70° F

Two possible additions:

Jim from Planet Bike
Xtree-Pete

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From the South, use mapquest for directions to Binghamton, NY to get to 81N

From the North, use mapquest for directions to Scranton, PA to get to 81S

Directions to Fell:

1. Interstate 81N to Exit 202 (Right - Route 107E)
or
1. Interstate 81S to Exit 202 (Left - Route 107E)

2. Route 107 E approx. 3 miles to Rt 247 N (left turn at first stop sign)
3. Route 247 N approx. 1 mile to Petrilak Rd (right turn at Skyline golf course)
4. Take Petrilak Road to stop sign
5. Take left at stop sign, go until you see the park entrance on your right

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just waiting for the seat (one pictured is off another bike):

This ride is going to be awesome :D :thumb: :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
pretty. where's the orange flag on the long pole?
I think my cell phone has GPS built in for emergencies, you figure out how far ahead I am via that instead :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
syadasti said:
Just waiting for the seat (one pictured is off another bike):

This ride is going to be awesome :D :thumb: :D
So that is what is taking place of the Locomoto eh?

what model fox fork is that?

How much does that thing weigh in at?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'll answer it, but you gotta come on the ride!

Its a 2005 Fox TALAS RLC

It weighs 30-32 lbs. I guess (didn't put it on a scale yet) with those 2.4 Tioga tires. Feels light for what it is :D

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
syadasti said:
I think my cell phone has GPS built in for emergencies, you figure out how far ahead I am via that instead :D
haha yea no doubt... or maybe we should just put lead in your tires?

of course, since you've had flats on the last 2 rides I did with you, and it took you 30 minutes to change it ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
syadasti said:
I'll answer it, but you gotta come on the ride!

Its a 2005 Fox TALAS RLC

It weighs 30-32 lbs. I guess (didn't put it on a scale yet) with those 2.4 Tioga tires. Feels light for what it is :D
Looks beefy - is it a little bit taller than the 2004 Talas in terms of axle to crown height? My Talas felt too short axle to crown and the offset of the crown caused my bike's HT angle to feel steeper than I wanted it to.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Damn thread highjackers!

Yah the 05 fox forks have 130mm travel - 5mm taller, come in brakebossless options, and will take up to 8" rotors. They beefed up the dropouts even more on the 05 vs. the 04 - they are more boxy looking.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Awesome riding at usual.

Once again, too much flow to stop for photos. Got all the NY Dirt Riders going through the end of Handlebars (I think you can see spincrazy in the distance on this photo of Barry from TN):

Bill

Merta

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This Saturday at noon - Fell Mountain Ride II. Don't miss it this time!

PM me if you have any questions :thumb:

spincrazy said:
WAS SICK RIDING. Best I've ridden on this side of the world hands down.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
syadasti said:
This Saturday at noon - Fell Mountain Ride II. Don't miss it this time!

PM me if you have any questions :thumb:
Was cancelled due to overhelming bailers:P

How about this Monday - COME ON!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like no Fell Mtn this weekend - PM me by 7 am if interested, otherwise it will have to wait for another weekend