Quantcast

Finish paying for my new bike, or fix my truck...

What should I fix first?

• Bike

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Truck

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

methodman

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
Wa State
Well I have quite a dilemma on my hands, and figured I would ask advice from people alot more like me, Bike Junkies! I just built up a new full suspension bike and have about $1,000 left to pay off on it (after the $1,500 I've already spent) and as you all would probably be also, I'm very anxious to get out on the trails with it. My other problem is I had my truck in the shop gettin new tires on it and they said I needed wheel bearings and a couple ball joints replaced (I'm not sure how crucial it is to get that replaced ASAP), but their estimate was in the $1,200 range too). So as much as I want to ride my new bike right now, I don't want to make the wrong decision and f-up my truck any worse. So what do you guys think?! I've included pictures so you can see what I'm workin with

Attachments

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Fix the truck yourself and save $1000 (well...maybe anyway). The ball joints shouldn't be too hard but the wheel bearings may be a bit of a PITA. If the truck isn't making any funny noises while driving around (most noticeably a loud roaring sound) then you can probably wait. But take my advice at your own risk.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wheel bearings = $20 (unless it's the whole hub = $300 both sides)
Ball Joint upper and lower = $200 both sides
Ball joint press and pickle fork = Free tool rental at Autozone
Beer = $20 (I drink good beer)
Weekend replacement

Should have gotten a cheaper bike, but it would still only be MAYBE $500 to replace all the front. But jack up the front and grab the tire. If you can feel play, look to see if it's upper or lower, or both in the ball joint. Take the wheel off and see if the hub spins tight and free. The wheel bearings might be repackable, too.

I would also replace the tie rod ends while you have the front apart, then pay someone to do the alignment.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Spend $200 in parts and do the work on your truck yourself. It really isn't that hard.

This is why you don't put huge tires on small trucks. Remember that next time...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pretty bike, but neglecting the bike won't kill you. fix the truck, sell it and get something smaller, use the profit to get the bike back.

but seriously...don't risk the safety of yourself or others with a goofy vehicle, especially when the steering is concerned.