Quantcast

Fire water

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I tired a new scotch this weekend. 12 year Glenfiddich.....oooh..... I could feel the hair on my chest growing.

A little more harsh than Johnnie Walker black! It was on sale at the SAQ, and it came in a nice box.

Ooooh piquante...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Scotch and soda. A sin to some, but not too shabby really.

That stuff wreaks havoc on my gut. Beer is my thang.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
TreeSaw said:
I can drink a bit now...beer especially as it helps with lactation :thumb:
How does it help with lactation? Alcohol is dehydrating. The only thing it would help with would be let-down if you're stressed out. The relaxing effect would help. But alcohol actually hinders milk production.

I asked my wife. She knows everything there is to know bout babies. No-one has read more than her.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
How does it help with lactation? Alcohol is dehydrating. The only thing it would help with would be let-down if you're stressed out. The relaxing effect would help. But alcohol actually hinders milk production.

I asked my wife. She knows everything there is to know bout babies. No-one has read more than her.
It allows the baby to sleep at night;)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
lactation and hard liquor.

is there anything better?

but i'd go back to the JW Black. Single Malt's are for posers.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
MMike said:
[sheepish]Oh.....ok....sorry..I uh...sorry[/sheepish]
Sorry, I just know too many Scots [family - Clan Buchanan, Lowlanders, Gibson Sept] and they pretty much hate single malts.

If you want seductive scotch - and assuming you can budget for it, try JW Blue label.

Top O the Line, laddie.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MMike said:

I have no idea, but I was told by my Dr. to drink beer as it would help with lactation. I know that it relaxes you and helps with let down, which in turn helps to better empty the breast which leads to it filling again and over time more production...perhaps that's what she's going for. Whatever the case may be, I am enjoying having Guiness again (and the occassional Basils and I haven't noticed any change in her sleeping habits thus far but I haven't gotten drunk yet either).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
Single Malt's are for posers.

That is lame. To me, being a poser doesn't depend on what you're drinking. I like single malt and don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

There are plenty of clowns who order JW because they think it impresses people, even though they don't really like it - those are posers.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Johnie Walker?

My girl's mom bought an 18 yo bottle of Maccallan's (sp?). I think it retails for $200/bottle?

Tasty stuff.

I've had Glenfiddich before, very nice. Also enjoyed Talisker a good deal. Not that I know much about whisky. I usually drink Wild Turkey :D

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
For the record...

I'm just razzing the nouveau-cheec interest in single malts. Hey, i was as big an advocate as anyone twenty years ago.

Then i got sucked into a big bottle of 4 Copas Reposado and life, as they say, hasn't been the same...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
For the record...

I'm just razzing the nouveau-cheec interest in single malts. Hey, i was as big an advocate as anyone twenty years ago.

Then i got sucked into a big bottle of 4 Copas Reposado and life, as they say, hasn't been the same...
Reposado is for posers. Anejo is where it's at. :eviltongu :D

Maybe I am sensitive because the other day someone called me a poser for riding a fixed gear in SF, despite the fact that I've been riding one since way before it was cool.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
MMike said:
Too late. my feelings are hurt. I threw everything in the garbage. I'll never drink again.
You're just overreacting. Some day, I'm sure you'll drink again.

At the very least, water...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
Reposado is for posers. Anejo is where it's at. :eviltongu :D

Maybe I am sensitive because the other day someone called me a poser for riding a fixed gear in SF, despite the fact that I've been riding one since way before it was cool.
You're just a sensitive guy. Get used to it.

Oh, and riding a fixed gear bike in denim works...

ta.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
SkaredShtles said:
Don't get drunk and feed the baby. I can't think of much worse than a hungover baby. :dead:
LOL! Actually, according to my Dr., very little--if any--alcohol is transmitted through the breast milk...really they don't want nursing mothers to drink in excess because the prolonged dehydration will decrease milk supply. That, and drunk and/or hungover mommies don't make such great care-givers ;)

I haven't gotten drunk while nursing and don't really plan on it anytime soon. I do have a drink or 2 but that's the extent of it and usually I have a sober person present to help with the baby just in case ;)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
My wife thinks that your doctor has some very strange philosphies. While of course you aren't mainlining to the kid, there's still an effect. My wife has every baby book printed and subscribes to all of the parenting mags. She has shown me all kinds of articles about this, and not one says what your doctor is saying.

Not preaching by any means. I'm just surprised. This is the first I've ever heard of this...

TreeSaw said:
LOL! Actually, according to my Dr., very little--if any--alcohol is transmitted through the breast milk...really they don't want nursing mothers to drink in excess because the prolonged dehydration will decrease milk supply. That, and drunk and/or hungover mommies don't make such great care-givers ;)

I haven't gotten drunk while nursing and don't really plan on it anytime soon. I do have a drink or 2 but that's the extent of it and usually I have a sober person present to help with the baby just in case ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MMike said:
My wife thinks that your doctor has some very strange philosphies. While of course you aren't mainlining to the kid, there's still an effect. My wife has every baby book printed and subscribes to all of the parenting mags. She has shown me all kinds of articles about this, and not one says what your doctor is saying.

Not preaching by any means. I'm just surprised. This is the first I've ever heard of this...
I'd heard that alcohol makes it into the milk after two hours. My wife always skipped a feeding if she was going to have more than a glass/beer.