Quantcast

Firefly adjustment, or lack there of

Untitled

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
It seems that on my brand new Firefly, there is very little range of adjustment in both compression and rebound. It's an 03 with TPC+. Is it that I'm used to the Zokes that have a huge range, especially with rebound? The firefly seems to rebound pretty fast, even when adjusted to slowest setting. This is my first Manitou, so I'm wondering if it's just a Manitou thing. It feels great, just doesn't seem too adjustable.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
yah i was really dissapointed when i found that they only real way to adjust preload on my firefly was to buy a new, different $60 spring.
________
Butt Live

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
First of all, if an acceptable solution is to buy a different spring, you should buy a different spring. Compression or preload is not a substitute for a higher spring rate. (edit: that comment was aimed at escapeartist)

Second of all, switching to a heavier weight oil will slow down both compression and rebound, so try that.

The compression adjustment you don't feel in the "parking lot test". Check out how much travel you're using without the compression on, then crank it up and check again after riding it (not just bouncing on it). I used about 1" less travel on an average trail with the compression cranked up (probaby 2/3 of the way).

But you're right, the rebount doesn't have much adjustment. Switch to a heavier weight oil if it's unacceptable, though I find it provides enough adjustment for me - it's only a 5" fork, after all, you don't want it molasses-slow.

Untitled

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
Thanks for all the info. As I mentioned, the fork feels great. It's a little softer than what I'm used too, but that translates too an very supple feel, especially on stutter bumps. I just wanted to erase the potential pissed-offed-ness that I would have if I found out I bought a bum fork. (ebay) I'll experiment with heavier oil, but I'm quite happy with how it feels overall.