Quantcast

Firefox 2.0 now available

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I was having a weird crashing issue with Firefox 1.5, it seemed to start when I updated adobe acrobat a few months back. I couldn't get it to stop crashing and couldn't get any help from Google so I've been using IE waiting for this release to come out hoping that it would not crash like 1.5. I've been using it for about an hour and a half now and so far no crashes, plus this version has the talkback extension installed by default so I can report errors should I have any problems. I'm very happy tonight.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Grrrr...my tab manager extension isn't compatible.
They've improved the built in one though I heard?

I'm sticking with 1.5.0.7 for a while.

I run Fasterfox, Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus, Videodownloader, IE Tab, and Spellbound extensions along with some config tweaks (regain memory on minimization, cache stored on different HDD, etc..). I figure 2.0 won't offer too much improvement for me a least until its a bit more mature. I've heard its more of Firefox 1.75 rather than a totally revamped version worthy of 2.0 :brow:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
They've improved the built in one though I heard?
Not that I can tell. The tab settings in the tools>options menu look the same. The only thing I really miss about it is having my web searches open in a new tab behind the current one instead of in the current one.

Something else that bugs me about 2.0 is the "find as you type" feature. It used to open the "find" bar along the bottom, complete with "previous" and "next" controls. It still opens the bar, but the controls aren't there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not that I can tell. The tab settings in the tools>options menu look the same. The only thing I really miss about it is having my web searches open in a new tab behind the current one instead of in the current one.
Well they have added more features, I don't use the browser, so I'm not sure of them all. They have a tab history and it remembers the position of past tabs. I'm sure if you edit the right config settings, you could find what you want or you can just wait for an extension that does it.

Something else that bugs me about 2.0 is the "find as you type" feature. It used to open the "find" bar along the bottom, complete with "previous" and "next" controls. It still opens the bar, but the controls aren't there.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=456744

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Well they have added more features, I don't use the browser, so I'm not sure of them all. They have a tab history and it remembers the position of past tabs. I'm sure if you edit the right config settings, you could find what you want or you can just wait for an extension that does it.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=456744
Thanks for the link. I knew there was a keyboard command, but couldn't recall what it was and didn't get around to looking for it yet.

Good call on the config file. I forgot how much stuff is tweakable in there. browser.search.openintab > userset > boolean > true got it opening in a tab, now I need to see about setting it to open in the background.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I need to see about setting it to open in the background.
Why don't you just get the Tabbrowser Preferences extension? You can open a link to an unfocused new tab. Also you can hover over the tabs and it will go to that tab w/o having to click. And much more.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
While I was poking around on config tweaks, I came across this one:

"Fetch only what you click

Fx .6 and up: Firefox has this wacky little feature that downloads pages from links it thinks you may click on pages you view, like the top result on a page of Google results. This means you use up bandwidth and CPU cycles and store history for web pages you may not have ever viewed. Creepy, eh? To stop that madness, set the network.prefetch-next key to false.

* Key: network.prefetch-next
* Modified Value: false"

I also came across this page that explains what all the config entries are and their possible values.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I am not sure why, but when I surf FF on RM I can see any avatars and several of the view thread buttons are missing.

I suspect it has something to do with ad block but i can't get it to reset..

thoughts?

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I am not sure why, but when I surf FF on RM I can see any avatars and several of the view thread buttons are missing.

I suspect it has something to do with ad block but i can't get it to reset..

thoughts?

Try a Ctrl + Shift + B and turn off Adblock. Do a refresh and see if that is it. If they show then you have added it by mistake to your black list.