Quantcast

Firestone NMBS #3 Pix

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
There was a race? What are the results? TBB site says it is forbidden for me to view them.:disgust:
Hell ya, a 'national'

I know Houseman and Buhl won slalom.....that's about all I remember.
My chick dusted off her 99' slalom rig and raced slalom, crashed out of the gate like a goon in the final against buhl hahaha.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
TBB really knows how to bring out a crowd. There were more people in the outhouse line at the first Canada Cup this weekend.

Racing is enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity all over the country, so why do people waste their time with these NMBS sideshows? and don't tell me it's 'for their sponsors.' That series and its titles are less marketable than Bravo condoms at an abstinence convention.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
TBB really knows how to bring out a crowd. There were more people in the outhouse line at the first Canada Cup this weekend.

Racing is enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity all over the country, so why do people waste their time with these NMBS sideshows? and don't tell me it's 'for their sponsors.' That series and its titles are less marketable than Bravo condoms at an abstinence convention.
TeamBigBear does timing and logistics (putting slalom poles in, banners, etc...). As for 'people' wasting their time...we were one of those. We went because my wife never has a weekend off, she wanted to race a slalom/superd again after not doing one in a 100 years and this was the only free weekend she had off.

I 'think' your hate could be better directed at bluewolf productions, as it is his/their series.
Mike Hecker with ridesb did a great job I think putting this thing together for what its worth....I can not say in 20 years of MTB racing I have ever seen a race organizer going around the pits shaking racers hands saying 'thank you for coming, it means a lot'. So props to him.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
TeamBigBear does timing and logistics (putting slalom poles in, banners, etc...). As for 'people' wasting their time...we were one of those. We went because my wife never has a weekend off, she wanted to race a slalom/superd again after not doing one in a 100 years and this was the only free weekend she had off.

I 'think' your hate could be better directed at bluewolf productions, as it is his/their series.
Mike Hecker with ridesb did a great job I think putting this thing together for what its worth....I can not say in 20 years of MTB racing I have ever seen a race organizer going around the pits shaking racers hands saying 'thank you for coming, it means a lot'. So props to him.
not 'hating' Stik. I just find it unfortunate that the NMBS has been reduced to DH racing on 4x bikes in front smaller crowds than your average local race. I'm sure lots of people went because they are local and it was a lot of fun, but as a 'national' event for trade teams and factory riders it's just not up to par.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hell ya, a 'national'

I know Houseman and Buhl won slalom.....that's about all I remember.
My chick dusted off her 99' slalom rig and raced slalom, crashed out of the gate like a goon in the final against buhl hahaha.
That crash was a bummer. We were the pack of goof balls by the double before the first two berms drinking lots of tecate and rooting for her, she was fast until that that gate start.

I've never met you in person, were you the guy in the alpine stars vest with like a million pieces of camera gear?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
not 'hating' Stik. I just find it unfortunate that the NMBS has been reduced to DH racing on 4x bikes in front smaller crowds than your average local race. I'm sure lots of people went because they are local and it was a lot of fun, but as a 'national' event for trade teams and factory riders it's just not up to par.
I totally get your point, I just was trying to say TBB is not responsible for the 'series' per say.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That crash was a bummer. We were the pack of goof balls by the double before the first two berms drinking lots of tecate and rooting for her, she was fast until that that gate start.

I've never met you in person, were you the guy in the alpine stars vest with like a million pieces of camera gear?
Hey Brian (think that was your name)...goof balls with beer rule!

I did have an alpine vest, 2 cameras and 2 flashes. Hopefully the mrs' will want to do more racing, I miss having fun at the races.

1000-oaks, thanks for the pics and thread.

barge

Chimp
May 19, 2008
santa barbara
Quips about NMBS and race promotion aside,

100 degree weather = small crowds

It's hard to get folks to come out to watch when the national weather service issues an advisory about the danger of being outside. Last year the event saw 1300 participants and at least that many spectators.

I really don't know **** but it looked like there was some good racing going on.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I dunno, I really hate heat but high 90's in shorts and a t-shirt isn't bad at all when I think back to being a groundpounder in the Army wearing a full uniform, kevlar helmet and carrying 50 lbs of weapons and gear in 116* heat (in the shade) in the desert. And the old guys would be drinking hot coffee and calling us young guys "soft" for moving slow.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I dunno, I really hate heat but high 90's in shorts and a t-shirt isn't bad at all when I think back to being a groundpounder in the Army wearing a full uniform, kevlar helmet and carrying 50 lbs of weapons and gear in 116* heat (in the shade) in the desert. And the old guys would be drinking hot coffee and calling us young guys "soft" for moving slow.
Please tell me that los olivos this weekend was not high 90's, it honestly felt like 100-105 degrees....dry, dirty...so hot.

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
Weather man said it broke a hundo. Last race at SGDC before the Sea Otter was in the 90's there aswell and its the last time it was that hot???? Weather forcast for this weekend high 67 :)

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA

I can not say in 20 years of MTB racing I have ever seen a race organizer going around the pits shaking racers hands saying 'thank you for coming, it means a lot'. So props to him.
Mike from Whiteface puts on one of the sickest races on the East Coast and always takes time to walk around and talk to all the racers and thanks them for coming out. Mike and Elias are some of the most passionate people in our sport and I think we need more people like them.

sorry for the derail