Quantcast

First automobile

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2005 Mazda 3 hatch. Had some fun times in it on some great adventures, replaced a bunch of rear shock mounts and generally pounded it into the ground.

But god damn the thing literally rusted from the inside out.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Renault Scenic, because I didn't have to compensate for anything :D

I needed the car to be mobile and go to work. Cost me 3500€. Drove it for 100k kilometers. Was still able to hook up some girls.
The space inside and the removable single seats were awesome for shuttling in summer and winter. It was a fvcking workhorse. So many good memories are linked to that car.
For example driving from the lower valley back to the ski resort after a 1300m vertical powderrun. Seven guys plus snowboards and skis in the car. Almost not enough HP to get the car back up a 15% ramp to the resort with all the lads in it and the snowchains on the wheels. I still remember our smiles that day and the looks from people in the parking lot when three guys came out of the trunk.:rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
2005 Mazda 3 hatch. Had some fun times in it on some great adventures, replaced a bunch of rear shock mounts and generally pounded it into the ground.

Glad to know they haven't improved corrosion resistance. :rolleyes:

My "reliable" college auto (came immediately after the Spitfire) was one of these shitboxes:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
85 rx7
hooned the shit out of it. hit 135 in it. would beat big v-8s off the line.
fun car. dad was nuts for letting me get it lol

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Traded mine in before the rust got too bad. Funny that my new car (another Mazda) doesn't have (apparent) rust, except for the disc brakes... :confused:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Traded mine in before the rust got too bad. Funny that my new car (another Mazda) doesn't have (apparent) rust, except for the disc brakes... :confused:
From what I've read, they actually changed how the body panels are manufactured to do away with the rust problems. The generation of Mazda 3 after those don't have the same problem, nor did the last years of that first run. It really sucked, because other than the rust and rear shock mounts, the car was actually pretty decent. I didn't have to do anything to it other than oil changes.

Mine got bad enough that the drivers window would get stuck going up, so you had to help push it up. Why? Even the inside of the door was rusting, one of the window runs rusted and split apart effectively pinching the window.

Rear wheel wells looked like this when I gave the car away. And this is after it was repaired once before (worked at body shop in college and got it done free).

If we're on the what'd you first drive or grow up driving, mine would be my moms early 2000's Dodge Neon. What a pile haha as I'm sure @Jm_ can attest to. Somehow, someway, my mom drove that thing for fucking 400000 kilometers. :crazy::confused:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
'84 Plymouth Voyager

In pretty much that same color shown. Played in bands at the time, and would use this bad larry to haul equipment to our shows and whatnot. It also went to it's fair share of Metal/Punk/Dead/Phish/whatever-I-was-listening-to-that-week shows in that era, which was the early 90s that I owned it. Kind of like a rolling bong shed, I suppose.

That thing sucked, but it had some good memories.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So far I'm surprised that no one has owned either a Chevette, Geo Metro or any sort of Cavalier. Though that Beretta is pretty close haha.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So far I'm surprised that no one has owned either a Chevette, Geo Metro or any sort of Cavalier. Though that Beretta is pretty close haha.
Dunno what a Geo Metro is, I think I learned in a Rover Metro.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Nice first ride
Not really. Body wise it was in good shape and straight, but it was a mechanical nightmare. 5000 miles of 20+ year old California emissions vacuum tubing and some previous owners electrical hackery meant it was pretty unreliable. If I could have it back the first thing I'd do is rip it all out and start completely over. I need to dig around and see if I can find my pictures of it.