Quantcast

First homemade studded tire that I have ever made.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
friggan A man - I've never run a studded tire, nor have I seen one up close... but those look like some huge-ass studs!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:think:

I've made a few sets of studded tires.. Hate to say it ('cause I know how much work they are), but your screws are way, way too long... All you want is ~1/16 to 1/8 of an inch of screw sticking up above the rubber. Those screws will fold over when you try and ride it, and probably rip your tire to pieces...

Sure looks mean though :D - it might work in some snowy conditions.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jacksonpt said:
friggan A man - I've never run a studded tire, nor have I seen one up close... but those look like some huge-ass studs!
They look like they should be on a punk rock jacket. I have seen studded tires used on the rocky terrain around here to good effect, but they were Nokians which use small studs which do not protrude much from the tread. With longer studs attached to a thinner part of the tire(not imbedded in the thickest part of the tread), it looks like it would only work in the softest of conditions. If I rode those around here during the winter, across patches of melted and refrozen ice and ice-encased rocks, I would have a flat 15 feet into the trail, kill myself in the first frozen rockgarden or chew a hole into my swingarm in the first sweeping turn. Admittedly, I have never owned studded tires myself, but running big wire-bead DH tires at pressures <20# has always been the ticket for me in the snow and ice. The big, squishy-soft tires hold onto almost everything better and help to scrub off drive torque as a bonus...kinda like when you get the SUV stuck in a frozen ditch and need to let most of the air out of the tires and use a numerically higher(lower torque) gear to avoid paying the tow truck man.

Gotta give a :thumb: for the do-it-yourself attitude, though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
llkoolkeg said:
attached to a thinner part of the tire(not imbedded in the thickest part of the tread)
Didn't even pick up on that at first glance.. Yeah, you need to put the screws in right through the knobs on the tread. Need as much support as possible.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Rip said:
Took me quite a frikken while, started on it at 5:30 pmET Thursday and have been done for 30 minutes.
hahah!

Are you planning on rolling over the army of gerbils that's currently got your house under seige or something? Or were you going to climb a tree with your bike?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
llkoolkeg said:
They look like they should be on a punk rock jacket.

:thumb:

If you go to cycling.tv watch the Snow Kings Videos, it's free and a pretty cool way to kill time at work.

You'll see Cedric hit 70 mph in a DH race in Norway. Also one of the techs shows exactly how to spike a tire for snow.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Oh jesus. Talk to RITFReeRider about his attempt at making a homemade snow tire last winter. I think he used even longer nails.

On the subject of snow tires, has anyone used a Nokian studded cyclocross tire before? Thinking about picking some up for the winter.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Rip said:
The tire is only for the deeper stuff. I also made the mistake of going to get the screws at home depot and they were the smallest they had.
Just make sure you don't get too far away from home with 'em. Even if you ride in deep stuff, your tires aren't long for this world, between the long screws and putting them through the thin part of the rubber.

J

JRB

Rip said:
The tire is only for the deeper stuff. I also made the mistake of going to get the screws at home depot and they were the smallest they had.

By deeper do you mean 3 feet??? Watch the brakes with those on dude. You could hit the earths core if you lock those up.

Jisch

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Not to pile on, but you do have way too much sticking out. The good thing is if you ride across a patch of ground covered in leaves, they won't seem quite as long :p

As others have mentioned I think you are going to have issues with the screws pulling through. I used the screws they use to hold the sheet metal studs together, they are relatively short and thread nicely into the rubber.

My basic process:
1) Mark the lugs on the tire you are going to put the studs in with chalk
2) Put a broken spoke in your drill and drill through each lug from the outside
3) Turn a screw into the hole left by the spoke from the inside of the tire
4) use bolt cutters to cut off as much of the screw as you can

I then cut open a tube and layed it over the screw heads, then put my tube in.

I rode them a half dozen times or so last year, no problems. Heavy - yes, but they worked great.

John

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Jisch said:
Not to pile on, but you do have way too much sticking out. The good thing is if you ride across a patch of ground covered in leaves, they won't seem quite as long :p

As others have mentioned I think you are going to have issues with the screws pulling through. I used the screws they use to hold the sheet metal studs together, they are relatively short and thread nicely into the rubber.

My basic process:
1) Mark the lugs on the tire you are going to put the studs in with chalk
2) Put a broken spoke in your drill and drill through each lug from the outside
3) Turn a screw into the hole left by the spoke from the inside of the tire
4) use bolt cutters to cut off as much of the screw as you can

I then cut open a tube and layed it over the screw heads, then put my tube in.

I rode them a half dozen times or so last year, no problems. Heavy - yes, but they worked great.

John

i would like to commend jisch for having a relevant and helpful first post. while being critical of design (without being a smartass), he offered advice on how to go about doing it better. thank you, and welcome to the monkey.