Quantcast

First Race:The Peak to Creek

Aug 3, 2002
Jacksonville:Florida
Oh boy did I suck hind tit!
4 endovers, one big air that blew my poor lil Manitou schocks a whole lot more uphill than advertised and a the race course for this particular one eneded up over the 17 (odometer readings varied from 21 point Ot to 25).And it took me like 3:15
But I forced myself to finish, i was so tired at the end even downhill was hard to control! I dont think I would have chose it as my first race if I had known...ah well I did finish!
I'll do it in half the time next time!
Bob as my witless!
JR:monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good for for you for finishing! There is a reason the DH boys avoid this race... 1/3 DH and 2/3 XC with a significant 2.5 mile climb out of Fall Creek... not the easiest climb so hope you were on a hardtail!

I ran the same course today on foot in a little under 5 hours. I would be bummed to think it was just 21 miles! I'd be happier with 27.5!

Keep in mind that most DH races do not have this much XC.

Aug 3, 2002
I am still stoked over my big air. (was prolly just 4 feet..lol).
I wish any one could have seen it! I was in the zone and flying no brakes. Actually could see the tail end of other people. saw a sopt open up to the trail below and cut the corner. Up over the stump one stroke through the bramble land and bounce and hit the trail wheelin it! (prolly what killed the shocks). that section alone made up for 2/3 the misery:p
And with the numbers thrown around like 21, 25 (from odometers that ran the race) to 25-27 people who know the trail I'm feeeling that I may not have done so bad after all. I am so glad my bike is a crossbreed with aluminum frame and light components!:D
My new front fork is a bomber and it does make a difference in weight, negligible since I can still bring it up. I need a more reasonable length race to see where I stand. Not the equivalent of an second year engineering student accepting a job in rocket science! Next year I'll kick ass! I will earn my sons rap"Your name is MOM and yu are da BOMB! You ride bikes and yur real nice!"
so not all of it rhymes...he's 4 with a simplistic vocabulary..lol.
Ciao Chongos!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I made sure that we ran the exact peak to creek run as posted buy the pretty pink signs. The peak to Fall Creek Camp is something like 10.5 miles, from there to Margaret McKenny is about 14 miles. There is a sign at fall Creek that says McKenny Camp 7 miles... but you know that is so wrong!

When you looped out of Fall Creek and started THE BIG CLIMB the trail went either way, one portion climbs for 3 miles solid until you hit the cearcut (and then climbs some more...) the other portion skirts the mountain and climbs gradually for 6 miles- our regular running route follows the long loop and, my trail pace - which is very consistant:p is 5.5 miles an hour = 27.5 miles as this run takes me just under 5 hours with a few water breaks. Deduct 3 miles for the extra loop and you are at 24.5 miles. Easy!

Bike spedometers are not real good for trails, they work best on surfaces where there is constant contact and reasonably consistant motion. Your race was far from that!!!

Aug 3, 2002
Anything over 20 miles was far beyond my current skills (or so one would think-mebbe I am not pushin myself hard enuough?).
I have only rode the forest three times.
I was bitching N moanin on 10 mile runs on paved roads..lol
I am amazed I forced myself to finish! It must have been a state of exhausted hallucinating! At least no lasting effects. All thats left is the saddle sores, I should be able to start workin on that weakness tomorrow. Took a lil ride this mornin. What used to seem a big hill...it's now like "whatever".
Used my 3rd place certificate and broken bike discount to ease a few pennies off my new shock purchase. The general consensus was that the Manitous just are not worth the rebuild. (put on the bike my kids buyin herself later).
The new shocks and mud fender sure changed the look of my bike.
( Rustmouse"looks more aggresive with that fork,its lookin more and more like a DH bike everytime you add on ". dee-lux, "lookin good, are you gonna go ride that today?")
Disc brakes is prolly the next great part (though I am so in love with the Intense DH sx tires)
All I can get is better and broker!

Aug 3, 2002
Had to earn my right to lounge, hence the race Lol!
I got the big black Marzocchi Bomber DJ that were on the wall (not needing the doubles and triples yet).
dee-lux is workin there most the time. All us army pukes that bike hang there.(and spend copious amounts of cash). We are his biggest supporters and pinch hitters (this is not the first race my super hoopty played shuttle to). He's the only race sponser here local and well, he's Eric.
My daughter is buying a trek Y2 there tomorrow. She tapped her account today.
Word Up!
Thursday..hmmm.
I always have a ride, it is the behaviorist with a doctorate to control my lil porch monkeys that is in high demand. I have a beast that seats 9 comfortably and I have had 13 in!(see photo above). Once my kids have even a modicum of skill it will be mere months before they surpass me and I can bring em! (son has already taken my Trek down the back deck stairwell and inside stairs. Put the first scratch on it!!:mad: Will he reach 5 years?
i'll know fer sure by Weds. later
YoYo!Peace Out!:cool:

Aug 3, 2002
YoYo! ::flashes the S.F. sign and a touch of Pacoima::
My name is Jen- my intitials spell JERK!
Its always POSTAL- in the place that I work!
Long in the tooth but still looks real fly!
An can drink more beer than the av-er-age guy!
DH racer whats I wanna be!
Not afraid of concussions or a little skinned knee!
Soon as I- winna race in first place- my nam'll be ALLThat-
An the old one erased! Word Up!
Yo!Yo!
Peace oouuut! ::flashes the victory V:: :cool:

okay so I am a kook-how ya crack a smile!
JR:monkey: :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by NotAllThatYET
YoYo! ::flashes the S.F. sign and a touch of Pacoima::
My name is Jen- my intitials spell JERK!
Its always POSTAL- in the place that I work!
Long in the tooth but still looks real fly!
An can drink more beer than the av-er-age guy!
DH racer whats I wanna be!
Not afraid of concussions or a little skinned knee!
Soon as I- winna race in first place- my nam'll be ALLThat-
An the old one erased! Word Up!
Yo!Yo!
Peace oouuut! ::flashes the victory V:: :cool:

okay so I am a kook-how ya crack a smile!
JR:monkey: :D
:evil:

Post in the PNW for Thursday shuttle - I'm thinking I'm up to 30 again now that I taken the clipless of my free ride bike... they're all being VERY quiet shuttle wise...

Aug 3, 2002
Big but......
Savin the money up for hub (Rustmouse)and friend Rob+ (dee-lux and a cupla others)
to take a trip to Whistler next week. It is on for him unless a problem comes in his bike order
(hes after a SC superlight with a few bells an whistles)
And my new shocks tapped my entertainment budget for Aug.
Otherwise I was going to go; if only just to spectate. >sigh<
I am looking in the race schedules to which one I can participate in next. I dont wanna slack,
but I dont want such a big plate to finish nest time.
Once I have my schedule from the Post Office I'll know for sure. I was on hiatus.
I am gonna go ride with dee-lux this week at least. Following his speeedy self can
only improve my performance!
THANX for mentionin it tho!

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
That's actually amazing. Great work! Please tell me you were in great shape before that race. Remarkable...

Aug 3, 2002
Or thighs of iron
It was more like my will of potash!
I am NOT at ideal weight. I only get a chance to do more than play in the back yard once a week. I do go to a gym everyday. I bulk up fast (lucky me-too bad ima gurl).
Nope it was the beer waiting at the post party that floated in the bare reach of my exhausted hallucinations! Lol! Mmmm, and it was as good as promised!
My personal trainer just upped everything by 20 when she found I had done a 20 mi race. called me a slacker! (in a nice, friendly professional way). Yuk!
Shiny side?
I will have freed up time for learnin better skills, now that hubs back from protectin our soil from canucks (you know thos sneaky Canadiens, they will whip out the underground muntant army out of the forest from beneath their mtn strongholds and attack..eh?) Lol!
(actually his dads parents are canadian)
Anyway THANKS
It's nice to know that my sucktitude was not all self inflicted :D
Enoughyakin, later Monks

Aug 3, 2002
And do!:D :evioltongu
BTW my real timed time ended up at 4:17 min.
I will subtract my oh, 5 minutes to put my chain on, 10 minutes to bend the loopy thing next to the front sproket that got bent in, 3Min X5 stops to drink creek water, and 3 minutes per crash recover and go. So I wasted like a whole 35 minutes or so.

NEXT time, next time...we'll see! :rolleyes: