Quantcast

First singlespeed ride w/bike pics....

1TrackMind

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
Vermont-Baltimore-Atlanta
Well I finally got the singlespeed project done and took it to the trails today! It was actually the first real ride on my Fox TALAS's as well. I won't say the ride was epic...simply because even though I'm usually in good cardio shape, I'm not in die hard singlespeed shape yet..lol. BUT, it certainly was an awesome ride, and i had 0, yes 0, drivetrain issues:D I don't think my chain slipped even 1 time the entire two hour ride. That alone makes the conversion worth it. I'm running a 32/18 ratio and I think that was the right choice for the terrain. I was thanking the stars that i didn't go 32/16 on some of the steep rooty trails we have around here. Other than to rest and get my heart rate down, I only had to dismount because of terrain twice. The hardest part about 1 gear is the hairpin, uphill and sometimes root filled turns that make you lose all your momentum. I suspect that after a couple months of riding I will have the extra reserve juice to mash through anything:cool: Since the last time I did any real riding I've shed my =derailuers/cables, 2 chainrings, a cassette, the shifters, and switched to a light Fox TALAS. Combined with the fact that my frame is a late 90's Alpha Aluminum, my bike is light as sh**! Its amazing how you can feel the difference in acceleration when you get to a good hill. All in all I'm happy to join the ranks, and seeing as its my only bike....I suspect I'm going to have some pretty hardcore endurance soon!
<BR><BR>
Thanks to those who gave me advice/links on what to look for and where to look!:thumbsup: Heres some pics....

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Congrats!!

Can't see the pics, but that's probably my computer.

My experience is, the more you SS, the more you love it. It's not just because of conditioning; it's also because you'll adjust your riding style to get more out of your SS.

You're going to get in awesome shape, given that your only bike is a SS and you can't weenie out and bring a geared bike when I go to a place with a lot of climbing.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I ride an 8000 gearie and love it, but the thought of an SS conversion has been there for awhile. Like the backwards photos too, made me think I had drunk too much!