Quantcast

Fit

I ride on the road occasionally, usually 30-50 mile jaunts, and have never taken the time to sort out proper fit on the bike.

I came back from a thirty mile ride yesterday with two areas of discomfort - a sore back and sore area between balls and asshole. I also find when climbing seated that I wind up with a slightly numb pecker.

What needs adjusting?

J

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sounds like saddle-height at the very least...possibly even the angle it's positioned. Could also be the stem length and/or frame size. I'd go to a local shop and have them check out your positioning on the bike.

Hope that helps.:)

p.s. - what is that area between the balls and asshole called:confused:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
taint? gouch?

Anywho, sounds like several little problems adding up. Check out online fit guides/advice, like competive cyclist, colorado cyclist, peter white...

here's a really rough outline... adjust saddle height so the heel of your foot rests on the pedal with a slight bend, adjust fore/aft so your knee tip is over the pedal arm, level out the saddle.

If after these things, your saddle is more than an 1" higher than your handlebars, maybe a new stem to bring the bars up some is in order.

After you make the changes, adjust one thing at a time and only a little bit, ride and see how that works.

Get a buddy who knows fit to help you in person. Or, uhh, pay for one.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:
I also find when climbing seated that I wind up with a slightly numb pecker.
as for that, it could be your saddle or shorts. I find too much padding is just evil.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The part of the body you, ahem, mentioned is the "perineum", or the slang term is "taint", as in taint your "b****" or your "a******".

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I had the numb issue and I think it had to do with the bars being to low on a bike that was tad small. Climbing you lean even farther forward and put pressure on the wrong spot.

Haven't had that problem on my new ride and the top of the bars are level with the the saddle, though my butt still hurts after 50 miles.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I would start from my current position and move things.

Personally, I don't fret that much about the 'perfect' setup because I move all over the saddle when I ride. I probably move a good 2" from the rear to the front depending on terrain. I adjust leg extension and go.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
LordOpie said:
yeah, but if you don't start with kops, where do you start?

How is the pedal thing going? I'm really curious to know if it worked or you went to back to your old cleat position or somewhere in between. Who knows, I might actually try a fitting someday.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus said:
Personally, I don't fret that much about the 'perfect' setup because I move all over the saddle when I ride. I probably move a good 2" from the rear to the front depending on terrain. I adjust leg extension and go.
ditto!

Wumpus said:
How is the pedal thing going? I'm really curious to know if it worked or you went to back to your old cleat position or somewhere in between. Who knows, I might actually try a fitting someday.
Tried another 30-35 mile ride a few days later, still didn't like it. Kept moving it from the new position towards the old and wound up almost where I started. If you know about fitting, I wouldn't bother paying for one.

I only paid to get measured properly... figured if I screwed that up, well, it's not like I could move the tubes afterwards.

Did the same 75 mile ride yesterday as two weeks ago and had very little discomfort, whereas last time, total pain.