Quantcast

Five Ten S1 stealth vs. PH stealth

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
Just got a new pair of 5.10 Baron's in the mail today, and rode around on them a bit, and was a bit surprised.

I have ridden some Karver's before which have the S1 rubber on them and really hard to move around on the pedals.

These Baron shoes were different, I felt like I was wearing my vans skate shoes all over again.

Is there some sort of break-in period on this rubber compound? Will probly end up shipping them back since I was looking for something on par with the Karver S1 rubber. I suppose those purple freerider's?

Anyone have any experience on the different rubber compounds?

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Is there some sort of break-in period on this rubber compound? Will probly end up shipping them back since I was looking for something on par with the Karver S1 rubber. I suppose those purple freerider's?
I haven't heard many good things about the freeriders, apparently the sole detaches from the shoe very quickly.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Never had any problems with my 2010's. Maybe I got lucky, but I've beat the hell out of them and they're still going strong. Riding clipless now so they don't see much use these days.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
I haven't heard many good things about the freeriders, apparently the sole detaches from the shoe very quickly.
like it was said the new freeriders are redesigned. they recalled the old designed shoes so if you have a pair of freeriders that fell apart, contact 5.10. they warrantied (spelling?) my old FRs.

there are different rubber compounds and there (generally) is no break in period with how sticky the sole is. even with climbing shoes you'll notice a difference between rubber types, and i have always been a huge fan of the stealth rubber even tho its softer so it wears fast. if you don't like them, i'd trade them in sooner than later.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
like it was said the new freeriders are redesigned. they recalled the old designed shoes so if you have a pair of freeriders that fell apart, contact 5.10. they warrantied (spelling?) my old FRs.

there are different rubber compounds and there (generally) is no break in period with how sticky the sole is. even with climbing shoes you'll notice a difference between rubber types, and i have always been a huge fan of the stealth rubber even tho its softer so it wears fast. if you don't like them, i'd trade them in sooner than later.
this...and also the Feerider has a very soft sole compare to a very stiff one in the Karver...Thats probably why they feel more like regular skate shoes to you.You can easily bend the Freerider almost in half but there's no way you could get has much bend with the Karvers.

When you "load" the bike and push down on the pedals instead of pushing the rubber further "in" the pedals , the freeriders bends giving less griping power for the rubber....Some likes, other like myself dont...well for the price anyway.

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
this...and also the Feerider has a very soft sole compare to a very stiff one in the Karver...Thats probably why they feel more like regular skate shoes to you.You can easily bend the Freerider almost in half but there's no way you could get has much bend with the Karvers.

When you "load" the bike and push down on the pedals instead of pushing the rubber further "in" the pedals , the freeriders bends giving less griping power for the rubber....Some likes, other like myself dont...well for the price anyway.
Yea, its just that karvers and impacts feel like boots to me, and I can't feel where I want to put my foot on the pedal. They feel to bulky and clunky. Could it just be the different rubber compound? The S1(whats on the karvers) versus the PH (on the barons and some freerider models)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
all freeride type 510 have a different compound to the S1 stealth... as in less grip. They were meant to be ridden on Dirt Jumps, FR, Urban, etc, were you want to move your feet around a bit more.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
all freeride type 510 have a different compound to the S1 stealth... as in less grip. They were meant to be ridden on Dirt Jumps, FR, Urban, etc, were you want to move your feet around a bit more.
No, the purple, white and black/gray freeriders use S1...the other colors have the PH rubber

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
Yea, its just that karvers and impacts feel like boots to me, and I can't feel where I want to put my foot on the pedal. They feel to bulky and clunky. Could it just be the different rubber compound? The S1(whats on the karvers) versus the PH (on the barons and some freerider models)
i think i get what you are asking... i don't think the rubber type will necessarily lend to a sensitivity issue, but the thickness of the sole and cushioning inside the shoe will. i'm on the 5.10 FR with the stealth and definitely know where my foot is because of the thinner/flexible sole of the FR.

in fact, thinking about it, the less sticky the rubber, the "harder" it is (again generally speaking), so i would think if you had two soles of the same thickness with different rubber compounds, i would expect the softer rubber to be more sensitive (stealth in this case), not the other way around - but that's just a total guess... so just ignore that. in fact, i don't even know why i left it in this post other than having gone through the effort of typing it.

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
i think i get what you are asking... i don't think the rubber type will necessarily lend to a sensitivity issue, but the thickness of the sole and cushioning inside the shoe will. i'm on the 5.10 FR with the stealth and definitely know where my foot is because of the thinner/flexible sole of the FR.

in fact, thinking about it, the less sticky the rubber, the "harder" it is (again generally speaking), so i would think if you had two soles of the same thickness with different rubber compounds, i would expect the softer rubber to be more sensitive (stealth in this case), not the other way around - but that's just a total guess... so just ignore that. in fact, i don't even know why i left it in this post other than having gone through the effort of typing it.
I wore the Barons on one foot and my skate shoes on the other foot and there was a pretty big difference as far as grip-ability. I think I had some image in my mind about how the should really feel, but again compared to my old vans its a much better improvement!

I'm gonna keep them, and now I'm gonna go give them a test at my local spot.
Besides, I think they look really awesome and after all the trouble I went through after sending a previous pair back b/c of sizing issues its worth it to hold onto these

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Have heard the same thing about the Vans Gravel shoes....that the grip isn't anything to write home about. Most assumed it would be a medium grip between Stealth rubber and Vans gum sole, but I've been told it's "meh."

t-rick

Chimp
Apr 1, 2011
W-S, NC
How do the rubber look on the Baron's? I've seen a few different on the interwebzz...

or

?
The ones I have have the top sole pattern. I got them from 5.10 in California, not sure how it will work out in Norway. The top design is definitely the way to go

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hope this threadjack is OK.

Do any of the new 5.10 designs have the same sole stiffness (and S1 compound) of the Impact/Karver/Hill? The stiff sole really helps fight fatigue when banging out many runs in a day on rocky trails.

I love my Impacts, other than the excessive width of the outer heel. The Karver and Hill models appear to be the same silhouette as the Impacts... and as far as I can tell all the new models are designed for other disciplines/"sports."

thanksss

Last edited:

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile

Do you have an email where I can contact them, I have two pairs of freeriders.....but I didn't find and email on their website...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
look on the bottom left of this page:

http://fiveten.com/contact-us

look for the line of links: Home Community Products History Technology Contact

click on contact and you'll get a pop up window that will email customer service.
Make sure you stay on top of them. I've never been a huge fan of "just send us an email". I originally contacted them by phone, somehow, and got an email right away about getting a RA number. After a few weeks and never getting an RA number, I went the email route. There were quick to respond the first time around, but it then took them nearly a week for the second email, in which I got emails from 3 different people. Eventually, they sorted me out, upgraded to Hellcats, but it took easily over a month for the whole process. Other than unnecessary back and forth emails, there CS was great. So not a complaint on 5-10, but just a heads up.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
Hope this threadjack is OK.

Do any of the new 5.10 designs have the same sole stiffness (and S1 compound) of the Impact/Karver/Hill? The stiff sole really helps fight fatigue when banging out many runs in a day on rocky trails.

I love my Impacts, other than the excessive width of the outer heel. The Karver and Hill models appear to be the same silhouette as the Impacts... and as far as I can tell all the new models are designed for other disciplines/"sports."

thanksss
rpet - i can't speak to stiffnesss without adding a touch of BS. you may want to email 5.10 directly and ask if them, or pick up the shoe you want and try fussing with inserts if the stiffnesss that you are looking for just isn't there.

but it sounds like you want a freerider, just with a stiffer sole.

Make sure you stay on top of them. I've never been a huge fan of "just send us an email". I originally contacted them by phone, somehow, and got an email right away about getting a RA number. After a few weeks and never getting an RA number, I went the email route. There were quick to respond the first time around, but it then took them nearly a week for the second email, in which I got emails from 3 different people. Eventually, they sorted me out, upgraded to Hellcats, but it took easily over a month for the whole process. Other than unnecessary back and forth emails, there CS was great. So not a complaint on 5-10, but just a heads up.
good advice. it took me a bit too and i had to bounce back a few emails myself. everyone was cool as far as who i ended up emailing, but i definitely felt like i was doing a little self-advocating.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I've been running these for a month or so now and they are superb. Really stiff but I can stil feel the pedal through the sole. Perfect! I really really don't like the odd feeling of the überstiff and fat Karver sole but I find the Freeriders to "skate/bmx oriented if you know what I mean.