Quantcast

Flat handlebars - who still uses em and why?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm about to put a pair of Titec Hellbents on my Surly - while not being perfectly flat or straight - they certainly don't equate to being riser bars.

Just wondering who's still rocking flat bars on their mountain bikes these days.

Also, anybody running "different" bars such as some of the On-One bars - Mary, Fleegle, Mungo, Midge, or perhaps Jones H-Bars, or WTB Dirt Drop bars etc. etc. on their mountain bikes?

Post some pics if you've got a unique set up.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i prefer realllllllllly narrow bars. so going for a rise or the "different" bars doesn't suite me.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
Yeah ive got straight shooters on my bike. When i had risers i cliped my handle bars on a tree going like 20mph and fell into a fence. I crushed my pinky in the fence and broke it. No riding for a while. I switched to smaller straight handlebars and havent hit that tree again. Ive gotten into some pretty big jumping and still have my straight shooters. I should probably switch back sometime but stright bars are great for xc

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I have flat bars on all my bikes except the commuter which has a riser. I used to prefer a flat bar with 5* sweep, but just picked up a Salsa bar with 11*. I wanted to see if it helped reduce post-ride wrist soreness at all.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I switched over to riser bars late in the game, but it was still along time ago. The rise did reduce wrist soreness for me. I can descend much better with the riser bars, but I miss the flats when climbing, tight switchbacks and really narrow, treelined trails. I've gone to very wide 1.5" inch bars for the past couple of years though because going down is so much fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have been thinking about switching back to flat bars. I used to ride in Louisiana where there is no climbing, and I never had to take my hands off the grips or even use the brakes much.

Here in Cali, it is not much of a ride unless there is at least 1500' of climbing. I was thinking about getting bar ends again, but I think they look really stupid on risers.

I could put on a higher rise stem to compensate for the riser loss (only about an inch anyway), and Salsa makes 660mm length flat bars in carbon and aluminum in case I want the riser bar length (typically 660mm vs. 580 for flat bars).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i like riser bars because they dont make a nice wide and stiff xc flat bar. plus ill be riding a rigid ss this coming season so when im hammering out of the saddle the extra leverage of a wider bar helps alot.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
gnurider1080 said:
i like riser bars because they dont make a nice wide and stiff xc flat bar. plus ill be riding a rigid ss this coming season so when im hammering out of the saddle the extra leverage of a wider bar helps alot.
How wide do you need? The Salsa bar I just got is ridiculous compared to what I've owned in the past. It's 26"

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
BikeGeek said:
How wide do you need? The Salsa bar I just got is ridiculous compared to what I've owned in the past. It's 26"
well how does the bar stack up in terms of stiffness and weight? plus i plan to get some easton carbon bars for the bike since the carbon will help dampen some stuff so my wrists dont completely die.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
gnurider1080 said:
well how does the bar stack up in terms of stiffness and weight? plus i plan to get some easton carbon bars for the bike since the carbon will help dampen some stuff so my wrists dont completely die.
Honestly, I haven't rode with it yet. It's for my "winter project" bike that's taking a bit longer than I had hoped. According to one e-shop, it comes in at 188 grams. It's going on a rigid bike, so I hope the bar's "internal tube butting" gives me the damping they claim. The Easton carbons are nice. I have one in 5*, but haven't seen anything with more sweep...didn't really look actually.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
There are definitely options out there in terms of wide = flat bars including the Salsa Bars that BG mentions. In addition - Niner bikes offers a nice wide flat bar, and On-One offers their Fleegle bars, which are also extremely wide and provide some nice sweep to them.

BG - let me know how you like those Salsa bars with the 11 degree sweep!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I run risers on my DH and XC rides. I wouldn't mind running a flat bar, but I have not seen one I like that is wide enough. For me, a wider bar greatly increases control and stability on descents and leverage while climbing and sprinting without giving me any trouble with weight on the front end or anything. I run a Holzfeller low rise on my DH and, at the moment, the same on my other bike (though I might swithc back to a 26" riser on that one).

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
i think the whole point of straight bars is to be narrow and lengthen you out. Just like road bikers cross country racers you want to keep your riding profile more horizontal for better power when pedaling. If your sitting up then you can pedal as hard. by having lower handlebars you can achieve that lower profile.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Indie likes flats on his XC bike for the same reason I used to like them. Someone who spends 90% of their time on their road bikes is going to be most comfortable with a position that most closely simulates that position. I used to run the bars at 19" on my race bike, with Onza pro-cut barends. I spent 80% of my time on the barends as it was almost exactly the same hand an wrist angle as I had on the hoods of the roadbike. Works great for 90% of Southeastern xc race courses.

Now that my primary racing focus has changed from road and 'cross to BMX and DH, and my primary bike has changed from a road bike with 38cm bars to a 4x bike with 71cm bars, I run a medium width riser on the XC race bike for a more familliar feel.

I still whip out the old narrow bars from time to time, as I prefer the sharper handling and more aerodynamic position for a lot of riding situations...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that and a lot of the race trails here tend to be some what tight in areas. specifically the race trails in florida. just easier to deal with, don't have to worry about drilling your bars on the snapplings so much.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'm currently running some wide ass Answer HyperLites. Nice big sweep on them, totally flat, decently stiff for my beastly 140lbs off-season weight.

I have a 29er and want to keep a low handlebar height for racing, so going flat bar is the best way to do it. It also looks cleaner IMO, which is a big thing for me on my SS. The width is a bit much for racing, it has to be at least 25" wide, however on rougher courses and for trail riding it is perfect, makes the bike handle like a motorcycle in the turns.

For my new 26er I'll probably be running a Bontrager flat bar with 7* or 12* of sweep, cut as narrow as possible. Barends for extra climbing leverage.

The Ito

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
BikeGeek said:
Don't say that too loud or N8 will be on you flies on poop. :)
What are you riding?
Karate Monkey for now.

But there may be a custom coming from Draco in the near future to match the 26er I'm getting from him.

The Ito