Quantcast

Flat pedal shoes

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What's good since FiveTen got eaten by Adidas? They're really hard to get in Australia now (adidas stopped distribution of the FiveTens over here) and there has been a weird change in sizing as well which makes it hard to get the right shoes from overseas shops anymore.

Some friends have tried the Leatts, the Ride Concepts, the Shimanos and the Giros but nobody seems sold on any of them as far as grip goes.

Any other worthwhile contenders?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Any other worthwhile contenders?
No.

I just got into a set of the new Trailcross LT and they are insane, grippier than my old-style Impacts and weigh as much as a pair of trail-running shoes.

Edit: Just checked my old-school Impacts, my previous pair of Adidas/5.10 Trailcross and my new ones and they are all US 8.5 or 265mm mondo sizing, so not sure where the different sizing thing is coming from.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Edit: Just checked my old-school Impacts, my previous pair of Adidas/5.10 Trailcross and my new ones and they are all US 8.5 or 265mm mondo sizing, so not sure where the different sizing thing is coming from.
Ah the old Impacts I all had converted from UK8.5 to US9.5. I just got a pair of new Impact Hill 510s and they convert UK8.5 to US9 flat so they're cramped as fuck. We have to buy them from the UK now so it'd be nice if the conversion was the friggen same across the brand.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Ah the old Impacts I all had converted from UK8.5 to US9.5. I just got a pair of new Impact Hill 510s and they convert UK8.5 to US9 flat so they're cramped as fuck. We have to buy them from the UK now so it'd be nice if the conversion was the friggen same across the brand.
Yeah weird, my old Impact say they are a US 8.5 and UK 7.5 but both of the newer Adidas produced ones say they are US 8.5 but UK 8. Bought them all over here so had never noticed that discrepancy. All 3 pairs are listed as 265 mondo though, which is a way more accurate sizing scheme.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Old Impact fan here too. Heavy, a bit soggy, very stylish especially the plastic FiveTen buttons across the heel. A couple of minor stitch repairs, soles have been reglued countless times and they are like paper thin, but still no holes, but I doubt they would survive a serious day of lift riding without air-conning the soles. Mellow trail rides are about all they get put through now.

I picked up a pair of Northwave Clans to try. The Michelin rubber is kinda weird. It feels firm when you stand on the pedal, but after a second the pins seems to set in and you get the familiar locked in feeling. This makes it easier to position/reposition, but it takes a second for the grip to come on after the move. Not slipped a pedal yet, or really even come close, but the place wait-stick takes a bit to get used to.

They at the beefier end, with a decent shank, kinda in between the Impact and Freerider Pro.
I like them better that the Freerider, but not as much as the old Impact.
There were no Freerider Pro's available at the time, so I bit the bullet.
So far they are holding up great. I have not gotten them soaked yet so no idea on how fast they dry.

And they are available in Black, not just the look at me blue that the reviewers got sent.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I've been on ride concepts wildcats.
Stiffer than a 510 freeride, softer than an impact.
Not as grippy soles but last longer.
Infact I've gotten twice the mileage from them.
I did wreck the strap on front foot from crank arm contact.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not Northwave Clans, sorta narrow, super stiff sole, horrible flat innersole, I am a fat bastard, I run only six pins and they still don't dig in, garbage! My 2yo Adidas runners are in every way a better riding shoe and you don't sound like a horse when you walk in to a shop.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
2nd the Trailcross LT, best 5.10 shoe to date by far. Didn’t notice any size difference but the fit is hugely improved.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I've been on ride concepts wildcats.
Stiffer than a 510 freeride, softer than an impact.
Not as grippy soles but last longer.
Infact I've gotten twice the mileage from them.
I did wreck the strap on front foot from crank arm contact.
I’m on the same shoes.

I can say the same thing about grip; it’s not as good as the 5.10’s.

The whole shoe is stiff as fuck and feels quite solid. I love that part.

As far as durability, it’s a hell of a lot longer than 5.10’s. Especially the new 5.10 shit. I am a professional trail builder and have taken to just wearing my RC Wildcats at work all day on most straight shovel days. 5.10’s would have broken their soles in a week. Barely any damage to my Ride Concepts except having to replace the stock laces on them as the laces on both shoes frayed and eventually snapped (living/riding/digging in the wet side of the PNW).

Have been rocking them since February-ish. The soles are starting to wear down finally, but I ride, dig and hang out in them all day five days a week. Most shoes and boots would start to be destroyed by now.

For my next set, I’m going to try the TNTs as they are reportedly more grippy (and thusly, I assume the soles will last a short duration) and not dig in them. I’ll probably also buy a set of wildcats for digging as they’re nice and stiff (great for stomping on the shovel a million times per day) and I don’t have to change shoes after if I want to ride.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
2nd the Trailcross LT, best 5.10 shoe to date by far. Didn’t notice any size difference but the fit is hugely improved.
3rd vote for the Trailcross. Like @FarkinRyan said, I feel they're the grippiest shoe I have ever used, and the includes my old Impact VXi's, which were my previous benchmark. Super light, comfortable (although I did have a hot spot on my ankle for a minute before they broke in) dry super fast and so far the sole is holding up very, very well. I've even used them on wet DH days since they dry so quick compared to my OG Impacts, although they don't have a burly toe box so I may end up being sad about that at some point.

Heard from a rando that Adidas was discontinuing them, and they don't seem to be listed on the Five Ten website anymore (found an old webpage but no way to order them). If thats really the case, I may try to find some thru an online vendor like nao. :panic:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
We're both on these, I'd sometimes like them to be a bit stiffer underfoot when on longer descents.
I alternate between Freerider Pros and Impacts. Sometimes even a pair of both. The Freeriders are more comfy for shenanigans and breathe better on hot days. The Impacts definitely pedal better with the stiff sole and protect your feet better through the rough stuff - both from the stiffer sole lessening impact as well as the stronger toe box for when you fuck up and kick something hard.

If i was only riding long loamy descents I'd just run the Freeriders as they tend to conform to the pedal better and feel more confidently connected. But yeah once the going gets rocky they make your feet sore after a bit.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Freerider Pros have very stiff soles and a reasonably strong toe box, unlike the older Freerider.

I prefer the lower coverage of Freerider Pros for hot weather but would be fine with Impact Pros too.

I alternate between Freerider Pros and Impacts. Sometimes even a pair of both. The Freeriders are more comfy for shenanigans and breathe better on hot days. The Impacts definitely pedal better with the stiff sole and protect your feet better through the rough stuff - both from the stiffer sole lessening impact as well as the stronger toe box for when you fuck up and kick something hard.

If i was only riding long loamy descents I'd just run the Freeriders as they tend to conform to the pedal better and feel more confidently connected. But yeah once the going gets rocky they make your feet sore after a bit.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm in the hunt for something other than Impact Pros, mostly because I'm tired of Adidas/FiveTen's bullshit of no updates and never making enough shoes to keep common sizes in stock year round. The Impact Pros fit my flat feet perfectly (even midfoot which is my trouble area), so it's tough to find something to beat that. The stiff sole is nice and supportive for my collapsed arches. I know their rubber is going to be stickier than anything else, but it is kinda a pain in the ass to reposition my feet so I'm willing to consider something slightly less sticky. I'm basically going through the same hunt I do every couple years of finding an alternative, before 5.10 sells out for the season (because they inevitably are out of stock when I actually need to replace them).

So far my shortlist are Shimano GR901s and RC TNTs. I just got a pair of GR901s, had to size up slightly to 44 for a size 9.5 foot, but the footbed matches my 9.5 5.10 insole exactly, although the outside curves up a bit which I dislike. The rubber feels much, much harder. They're quite a bit lighter, and the outsole is a bit smaller, which should make them feel a bit less clunky. I'm willing to consider them, probably with different footbeds, but am waiting to see how the TNTs fit. I previously tried a pair of size 9.5 Powerlines and they were both too short and too narrow. I emailed RC and they said that the TNT would fit my flat foot best of their shoes, and I'm sizing up to a 10. After those arrive, if they also fit well, I'll return whichever shoe has harder rubber and try riding the other one.

I got an email that the new Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch are in stock, but I can't get over the awful color (brown soles, red canvas, with bright orange highlights). And I don't think BOA will be good for my midfoot issues.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
those are some fickle reasons to ditch a shoe you obviously like. and you seem to be making a lot of unnecessary compromises to get around it. you can always find 5.10s somewhere. i had issues with them 3-4 years ago, but current ones seem better made, if not keeping the fugly game on point. i'll be on impact pros again when it's time.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I can't argue with that. It's definitely more of an emotional reaction than a logical one, like my refusing to use any Race Face part at all, not even a stem, after dealing with them warrantying cranks 3 times.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I can't argue with that. It's definitely more of an emotional reaction than a logical one, like my refusing to use any Race Face part at all, not even a stem, after dealing with them warrantying cranks 3 times.
Just buy the RC shoes...
I when I wore through the strap I called them and told them they said they made their shoes to ")ast more than one season unlike the other brands" and they didn't make it. They offered to send me a new pair and I didn't take them up on it. I'm still riding the same pair 1.5 years later

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I wish the 5.10s lasted longer and had more airflow.

But when the trails are high speed and rocky or have a lot of holes and deep chatter, I don't find myself asking for a less grippy rubber.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just buy the RC shoes...
I when I wore through the strap I called them and told them they said they made their shoes to ")ast more than one season unlike the other brands" and they didn't make it. They offered to send me a new pair and I didn't take them up on it. I'm still riding the same pair 1.5 years later
The TNTs arrived yesterday. The size 10 TNT has exactly the same length/width insole as a 9.5 Impact Pro. They feel good fit-wise, and are 65g lighter per shoe, even with the strap and higher ankle. The toe box feels slightly roomier around the pinky toe. The heel cup is a bit more shallow, but I'm not worried about sliding around due to the velcro strap. The rubber feels softer with a fingernail than Shimano, but not quite as gummy as S1. But just trying to slide them on a tile floor, the RC rubber actually feels like it's got more friction, even if it has less lift-off stickiness. I'm looking forward to riding them once the smoke clears out a bit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Freerider Pros for everything but DH and Impact Pros for that. Everything else I've tried (Giro current-gen., RC) sucks in comparison.
I had freeride highs, soles turned softer than a pair of worn out vans
the RC is nice Balance of stiffness and flex IMO
I bought impact highs, and it felt like someone put a 2x4 in my shoe, I felt like i was way too high on the bike and they were way too stiff. I sent them back after riding around the block on them, not only that they weighed as much as a bowling ball... each....

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
3rd vote for the Trailcross.

Heard from a rando that Adidas was discontinuing them, and they don't seem to be listed on the Five Ten website anymore (found an old webpage but no way to order them). If thats really the case, I may try to find some thru an online vendor like nao. :panic:
Not sure about the LT, which I just ordered in a panic. But the almost identical XT version that has just come out doesn't look too shabby and the tighter fit around the ankle should be an improvement:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I did find out on the weekend that if you want the grippiest RC's that aren't hi tops you have to be able to fit the women's Hellion, men's runs a harder rubber.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not sure about the LT, which I just ordered in a panic. But the almost identical XT version that has just come out doesn't look too shabby and the tighter fit around the ankle should be an improvement:

I saw that recently and it basically solves my only issue with the shoe - detritus slipping in around the ankle. Wonder if the euro only thing atm, as I don't see them available in freedom land.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I saw that recently and it basically solves my only issue with the shoe - detritus slipping in around the ankle. Wonder if the euro only thing atm, as I don't see them available in freedom land.
They were running a banner ad for those new Trailcross XT shoes on pinkbike and when you click through it takes you to this page with zero of the advertised shoes anywhere; https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/fiveten-men-bike-shoes

If you google them you can find the product page, I guess they are just not showing up on the US site as they aren't currently in stock. https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-trailcross-mid-pro-men's-mountain-bike-shoe/FBE59.html

I ended up having to put a proper set of insoles into my Trailcross LTs, the stock ones were crepe paper thin and coupled with the thinner soles my feet were getting beaten up.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I tried 2 rides on the RC TNT (as a potential replacement for Impact Pros). Big nope from me. First ride on the TNTs: their special insole was squishy and inefficient pedaling, the midsole transmits a ton of vibration while descending leading to sore feet, and their "max grip" rubber was coming off my pedals constantly, even on small 1" roots. Second ride I switched to SuperFeet Blacks and that fixed the pedaling. I slowed rebound way down, but I still couldn't stay on the pedals, and my feet still ached on a 3 minute descent. I'm reaching out to Jenson to see if they'll take them as a used return because these are unrideable for me. Back to Impact Pros.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Blatant discrimination.
I assume it would have to do with an assumed weight difference between the genders, which yeah is at best a generalization.
Five Ten are back in stock in Oz so I'm just gonna get some of them, yeah they might fall apart but at least I know they will grip. I can't afford to take a bunch of $200 punts based on retailers' reviews that are probably from people that ride Klein Mantras with Kenda tires.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dafuq you no high top.
I don't own a single shoe that isn't a hard top........
And I can't count a single time that I have hit my ankle on the crank and wished for a high top, plus they take too long to put on and are hot.
I'd ideally like some Aescents with the S1 sole of the Impact, for XC these were golden, so much cooler than an Impact and the soles seemed to longer than the almost identical Freeride.
1599279924913.png

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I went quickly through the article and was surprised that they liked the sole on the Shimano. I had the AM-something a few years back and was not so impressed... mine were before Shimano start using French rubber. Anybody with some experience with the latest shoes from Japan? I kind of like their SPD shoes

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
To Ride Concepts' credit, after I posted my experience, they PM'd me and said that they're aware of issues with the TNT, and said they've been redesigned and should be out next spring. Of all the alternatives out there, I'm rooting for them to come out with a true Impact alternative, since they have great CS and are legitimately trying to make good MTB shoes. I tried to get a pair of Unparallel Dustups earlier this spring but they were out of stock and still hadn't restocked when I checked last month. They never answer their phone, and there's just 1 guy answering the emails, slowly.

The Pinkbike review was a fucking joke. They knew from all the comments in the "preview" they posted a few months back that everyone wanted to hear exactly how the rubber grip compares to 5.10. So, rather than giving that sort of comparison, they give bland statements on every shoe about them being "grippy enough", and don't even try to rank that. But instead rank the stiffness. The argument that Stealth is too grippy and makes it hard to reposition your foot is stupid. First, if it's that grippy, you're much, much less likely to have to reposition at all. Second, any serious flat pedal rider knows the technique of rolling their foot outward then inward to reposition.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Aren't those basically just nylon pedals? I guess the pedal body itself is moar grippy, but kinda figured thats what the pins were for.
Won't those get chewed up super quick? Or what happens when you slam a rock, does it just grip in and send you sideways down the trail?