Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fist squeeze gauge on the fat bike.

"can my knuckles hit the rim?"

yes/just about = traction for days, slow ass pedaling
no = get your foot out ready to slide them corners bro
I'm more about the 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 body-weight presses.

If I put my hand on the tire and lean into it, can I compress it 1/3? That's usually good for most snow conditions. If it's real soft, then 1/2. Maaaybe to 2/3rds if it's crazy soft, but that'll be down around like 1-2psi. If it's real firm, then 1/4. Based on when I have used a gauge, this is all less than 10psi.

But it's so dictated by the conditions. You have to feel how it's reacting, if you are folding the casing in turns, if your pedal strokes are causing excessive bobbing , if you are spinning or sliding out, etc. The snow is so different day to day and hour to hour, you can't be using "PSI" to figure it out, you have to adjust to how it's reacting. Too much bob up and down on firm trails or casing starting to fold? Add 20 strokes of the pump. You are measuring in amounts less than 1psi often, so for that kind of precision it's just better to count your pump strokes than try to then hook up an accu-gauge and then re-do it.

A common technique is just go a little high and then let it out on the trail. Making adjustments when you are out there is one of the fundamental parts of this style of riding, one trail may be packed...the next may be super soft.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A common technique is just go a little high and then let it out on the trail.
That's realistically what I do for most rides on the phat bike. Though there has been a few times where I've let more out than desired; what a slog to get back to the car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've been very happy using this.

I like my Makita one. sounds like its tumbling rocks inside of it, though: surprisingly loud.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like my Makita one. sounds like its tumbling rocks inside of it, though: surprisingly loud.
This one isn't as loud as OEM car-tire ones found in the trunk IME. It's not silent, but it's definitely not like you describe. A lot of people use it at the AutoX races and I got it for that and for filling bike tires. Now it's all I use for filling the bike tires pretty much. I can set tires just fine using the "get the bead partially on the lip" method with it too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This one isn't as loud as OEM car-tire ones found in the trunk IME. It's not silent, but it's definitely not like you describe. A lot of people use it at the AutoX races and I got it for that and for filling bike tires. Now it's all I use for filling the bike tires pretty much. I can set tires just fine using the "get the bead partially on the lip" method with it too.
ok, it's not that loud. just surprisingly loud for what it is.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm more about the 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 body-weight presses.

If I put my hand on the tire and lean into it, can I compress it 1/3? That's usually good for most snow conditions. If it's real soft, then 1/2. Maaaybe to 2/3rds if it's crazy soft, but that'll be down around like 1-2psi. If it's real firm, then 1/4. Based on when I have used a gauge, this is all less than 10psi.

But it's so dictated by the conditions. You have to feel how it's reacting, if you are folding the casing in turns, if your pedal strokes are causing excessive bobbing , if you are spinning or sliding out, etc. The snow is so different day to day and hour to hour, you can't be using "PSI" to figure it out, you have to adjust to how it's reacting. Too much bob up and down on firm trails or casing starting to fold? Add 20 strokes of the pump. You are measuring in amounts less than 1psi often, so for that kind of precision it's just better to count your pump strokes than try to then hook up an accu-gauge and then re-do it.

A common technique is just go a little high and then let it out on the trail. Making adjustments when you are out there is one of the fundamental parts of this style of riding, one trail may be packed...the next may be super soft.
I always wing it like that on the fatbike. Seems I need more precision with my 29+ tires.
2psi range on those is needed to avoid bouncyness or rim strike. Also, Argotal front tire seems also finicky. 18psi seems to be where it performed best.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
1. Define the Problem
Most bicycle pumps are shit

2. Determine the Root Cause(s) of the Problem
Too much standardization and french led roadbike heritage led to to pick up the worst valve solution

3. Develop Alternative Solutions
Look outside of the bicycle bubble and see if there's even a need to develop anything

4. Select a Solution
Think where else is round obstacles that has rubberized air filled outer shell

5. Implement the Solution
Change the valve

6. Evaluate the Outcome
No need to evaluate as you just copied something that's working

1700166468536.png

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In all seriousness though, I don’t think anyone has actually nailed the ideal floor pump yet. I think it should be a one-time purchase, repairable (i.e. not disposable), big gauge, mechanical, choice of chucks (or one that just works), low and high pressure compatible, not fragile, something a kid can operate. That Silca above looks like it might just be, but $200USD + import duty + international shipping will probably put it closer to $350CAD which seems like a poor use of funds. If I could guarantee it delivering however… it would be easier to stomach.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
In all seriousness though, I don’t think anyone has actually nailed the ideal floor pump yet. I think it should be a one-time purchase, repairable (i.e. not disposable), big gauge, mechanical, choice of chucks (or one that just works), low and high pressure compatible, not fragile, something a kid can operate. That Silca above looks like it might just be, but $200USD + import duty + international shipping will probably put it closer to $350CAD which seems like a poor use of funds. If I could guarantee it delivering however… it would be easier to stomach.
Find yourself an old skool Silca. I had one of those for almost 20 years and there were always replacement parts available for purchase.

I currently have an SKS Rennkompressor and it seems similar, though I haven't had to go down the rabbit hole of replacing anything yet (it's only about 10 years old).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I like my Park Tool pressure gauge you attach to the pressure machine of your choice. It's pretty easy. Probably my most used tool. Besides their 3 way hex.

I do use an accu-gauge gauge when on the go. Isn't too reliable. Meaning it has just stopped working. But then I find myself warranty-ing it or buying new. It is a nice piece of kit when it works.

My wife just ran over my million year old Silca floor pump. Need a new one. If you're looking. Silca is having a "Black Friday" sale. So like the pump I used to have, brand new, is $100, not $150. So cool. Lots of other things on sale too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Back to my $17 department store HV pump. I have that one of those Blackburn Chamber pumps. To be honest, the Blackburn is a pile of crap. The $17 pump puts out more air from the pumping action and it equals the rate at which the Blackburn can deliver its "charge", except it doesn't run out of air. Once the Blackburn runs out of the pressure charge, the rate at which it pumps is pathetic. So basically, if I can't set the tire with my $17 pump, it damn sure isn't going to happen with the Blackburn...so it's dead weight. But for fat stuff, I'm much more counting pump strokes than looking at PSI gauges. The Ryobi is good though, I just used that a few min ago to set my XC training tires on rims. I used it all last winter and summer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
1. Define the Problem
Most bicycle pumps are shit

2. Determine the Root Cause(s) of the Problem
Too much standardization and french led roadbike heritage led to to pick up the worst valve solution

3. Develop Alternative Solutions
Look outside of the bicycle bubble and see if there's even a need to develop anything

4. Select a Solution
Think where else is round obstacles that has rubberized air filled outer shell

5. Implement the Solution
Change the valve

6. Evaluate the Outcome
No need to evaluate as you just copied something that's working

View attachment 203698
you forgot underpants

really the only thing missing from that post, which means it's just right as all things are better without underpants and without pants of any kind in general

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
you forgot underpants

really the only thing missing from that post, which means it's just right as all things are better without underpants and without pants of any kind in general
What translation software or page you are using? I have difficulties to understand you.

Btw. I've had only once a situation where the valve core loosened when using Lezyne pumphead. I have hard time to really see it as a big problem and I don't know if I'm doing something differently. Maybe my grip is more strong when tightening the valve core as I've been riding ebike over 25kmh so many kilometers.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I ended up with a Special-Ed pump and it seems good, gauge is bang on what the Topeak digital one says.
But I just saw that they have a MTB model which does ~500cc per stroke, that would have been better for tubeless seating.
1700215284116.png

EDIT- Seems I've already stated that I have a spesh pump, eh, I'm old.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
What translation software or page you are using? I have difficulties to understand you.

Btw. I've had only once a situation where the valve core loosened when using Lezyne pumphead. I have hard time to really see it as a big problem and I don't know if I'm doing something differently. Maybe my grip is more strong when tightening the valve core as I've been riding ebike over 25kmh so many kilometers.
i said tpu tubes. there, the valve sits in a plastic thread and can easily unwind. we advise our customers to use a clamp pump head instead.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

All great numbered schemes must involve underpants

But I can't in good conscience suggest the wearing of such pants of any kind so it's a bit of an internal struggle for me.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Researching floor pumps.

Looking for a low pressure gauge and so far only found the Joe Blow Fat. 0-30psi is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any other pump I should consider?

Are the digital gauge ones precise in the 2-4psi range?
Got my hand on a Joe Blow Fat for $55cdn.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Lessard in QC. Needed to round it off to $99 for free shipping. They have some good deals.