Quantcast

Fly cranks suck!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
to get off....

Holy hell. I spent over 2 hours BEATING THE PISS out of these cranks and I they might have moved 2mm. I greased them very well before putting them on.

Fly should have made a removal tool.

My head hurts from pounding on these things so damm hard. wtf?

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Yeah, last time I removed and installed splined cranks I swore I was going to buy pinch-bolt cranks next time out.

Existing removal tools don't work with flys?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
holy hell, I got them off. The profile tool is basicly the same thing as the bolt that holds the arm on. I unscrewed the bolt about 1/4 inch out, then beat the living pee pee out of it. Then I was able to use a 15mm socket, placed inside the arm. It fits perfectly in the splined area, resting on the spindle. I was then able to pound the living snot out of the socket and remove the arms.

I've never had problems with splined cranks before. These were a bitch to get on and an even bigger bitch to remove. I don't like the idea of pounding on the threads, which is pretty much what the profile tool does. (and what I did to get the bitch to start moving)

Mar 25, 2008
I don't like the idea of pounding on the threads, which is pretty much what the profile tool does. (and what I did to get the bitch to start moving)
i sometimes dont like the idea of following directions either but its still the right (and decades old) method. :thumb:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Fly cranks only have one bolt.

I have never had problems with the Profiles or other 48 splined cranks I ran. never came loose, never trouble to remove.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
^^^^ Yea I've ran profile, redline and solid splined cranks and never had a problem putting on or taking off. Never used the removal tool either. I hate those pinch bolt cranks.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I feel your pain. Putting demolition medial lt cranks was the hardest thing I've ever done... it was seriously like a mm per hour.... ahhhhhh, I get pissed just thinking about it!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the issue is the spindle more than the crank...

When I got my current bike, I picked up a Tree splined sprocket for it. I was having a hell of a time installing it (I also had a hell of a time installing the cranks initially as well), so I emailed Tree. I got a prompt response, and a good explanation. Apparently Odyssey (and I'm guessing a few other companies) uses a process to create the splines on the spindle that have pretty poor tolerances, at least when compared to a Profile spindle.