Quantcast

Flying with fork

Yeik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
Okay, I'm REALLY unsure about where to place this thread, couldn't find a "other questions" forum - please move if there is a better forum to place this in..

Here goes - I'm moving to america in a week, and I'm flying with gear for an entire bike, except for the frame - thing is, I'm seriously concerned about airport personel breaking my beloved Boxxer to peaces in search for hidden pipe-bombs.

This thought is haunting me at night, and I'm thinking about writing a little step-by-step dismounting-guide and tape it to the fork, so that they won't saw through it.

Does anyone have any experience of flying with forks? Is it legal for customs to break my fork in search for bombs? Will they care if it isn't?

Help me!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They don't need to take your bike apart to check for bombs. They can take samples for explosives residue and test electronically or have a bomb dog sniff it out. I'd be more worried about having things packaged properly so it can be opened and closed without much drama. The last thing you want to see is a split open box and random bike parts coming down baggage claim.

Yeik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
Man, that's what I wanted to hear.. Packing will be made in a separate bag with huge care, so that hopefully won't be a problem.

Thanks a million, you just made my day ;)

Yeik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
Yeah.. ****, I dunno what I'll do if they break something

Hopefully it'll be okay though

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is an automatic $2000 (I believe) insurance on broken items. I have had to get more for my bikes.

Yeik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
let's hope I've got that insurance too..

Btw, do you think the boxxer could take damage if I pack it in pressed-together condition? (Meaning that I'm thinking about taking a rope and tie the fork stuck in compressed condition to make it fit in the bag)..

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
from my dirtbiking experience, that would be a bad idea, and its very possible u would break a seal.. correct me if im wrong

ottomatik

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
yucaipa CA
yeik, i think your fork will be fine just make sure its as accessable as possible for the feds. welcome to america! what part are you moving to? where ya from? later bro :thumb:

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Your fork should be fine if you pack it like everyone else has suggested. My suggestion is send it in UPS to a hotel that your staying at, or like the house your gonna be at, or even family. As for armor and others, just pack those in your bag on the top in case customs wants to check those. Hope all goes well, if it hasn't already.

Yeik

Chimp
Jul 24, 2005
Everything worked out great, all the stuff looks okey, I'm gonna go through it before putting the new bike together though..

Actually my weels got lost somewhere in London or Chicago, took about a week to get them back, but they seem to be unharmed

ottomatik: Thx man, I'm from Sweden, Staying in South East Missouri as an exchangestudent until May next year