Quantcast

Fontucky Pro DH results.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Mani_UT said:
Actally it seems a lot of the pro class girls were racing their first pro race. Not too sure where the olg guard went. So there is a lot of potential for a lot of these girls to get faster and faster as it goes.
I think the old guard is realizing the risk-to reward ratio is too high to be a pro womens rider. There was a time when you could come in new to the sport and IF you ever got to be the #1 chick you could make half a million dollars a year. Now if you are the best in the world, you might make 35 grand...very dangerous sport for that kind of money.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
stiksandstones said:
I think the old guard is realizing the risk-to reward ratio is too high to be a pro womens rider. There was a time when you could come in new to the sport and IF you ever got to be the #1 chick you could make half a million dollars a year. Now if you are the best in the world, you might make 35 grand...very dangerous sport for that kind of money.
Not to mention that just about every single genetic predisposition women have goes completally against the sport.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
TheInedibleHulk said:
Expert women winner Caroline Jarolimek would have been 11th in Pro women. She has been racing bikes for 8 months and has ownded a dh bike for a couple of weeks. I believe this is about her fifth dh race. She's 20. Ya'll are SCREWED.
yes, she's very fast, considering how long she's been riding. she does have a background which makes her more comfortable with high speeds and technical riding than the average newbie...she was/is a very good skiier.

my hats go off to 14 year old expert rider essence barton who got a 2:54 and is wicked fast! now that's talent!

some girls are sick fast right away and some take a while to get there...

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
stephanie said:
elaborate please...
I think he and stik are saying that girls will not risk life and limbs unless there is money behind while guys will just do it to impress the drinking buddies :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
TheInedibleHulk said:
BWAHAHAHA, Im staying out of that one.
What exactly is there to stay out of? Women's bodies, in general, are genetically pre-disposed for things like child birth. Men's anatomies have a significant advantage when it comes to sports, simply from the way they have evolved.

Downhillers tend to be huge in this era (Rennie, Peat etc). Nico is an alien and didn't count. Clearly a woman is at a disadvantage were she to go head to head with a man. That is all he is saying.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
.......i think what he is saying is get me a pot pie and a cold one,
that's were your genetic prowess lies.....:D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
stephanie said:
i don't know many women who are doing it for the $$. i myself just like to go fast :)
Well....

Anyway, my point was most women I know got into it because it was a fun sport, but there was always this dangling carrot beyond the 'fun' factor that made the risk somewhat worth it when there was a 'chance' you could make a very nice living if you became one of the best...and when these situations arise you get MORE women coming in all having 'fun' but knowing there is some nice carrots. I am saying now there is NO carrots so the risk is not worth it, nor is spending $1000 to fly to a race, get a rental car, etc...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm not a sexist and neither is Stik considering we're both married and surrounded by girls all day long (wives and daughters)...but it's absolutely hilarious that nobody jumped on the phallic punch lines regarding the "carrot".

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bizutch said:
I'm not a sexist and neither is Stik considering we're both married and surrounded by girls all day long (wives and daughters)...but it's absolutely hilarious that nobody jumped on the phallic punch lines regarding the "carrot".
Hmm, ya oops, I have mastered the art of 'foot in mouth' syndrome.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I just happen to know a handful of female riders who get very upset if you make even the slightest insinuation that they are inherently not as good at bike riding. The results speak for themselves really.

ninja-riot

Chimp
Nov 12, 2005
hey stiksandstones, i was wonderin if ya happened to have a pic of me, i was running in expert, i was the guy with pink on the sides of the jersey who slid out in that corner you have the shots from. you might remember me for yelling sh*t when i got stopped. anyways that was a damn fun race!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
sayndesyn said:
Are you trying to imply that ACC was tucking to ride?
I'm implying she was a one off phenom and no one has even come close to riding like her.

Im not sure I buy the size argument Transcend. Sure being 6'4" and 210 pounds is a big advantage in terms of power and leverage. A quick glance at the results however, will show you it has been a long time since the women's winner at a NORBA national would have been fast enough to win Jr X. That means that some pretty small kids who havent gotten strong yet are spanking women with many years more experience and full factory support. Why? I dont know.

Also, while being big clearly works, Hill and Hauvakainengluvenbergen have shown that being quick and having a low center of gravity can make up for being small.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
TheInedibleHulk said:
it has been a long time since the women's winner at a NORBA national would have been fast enough to win Jr X. That means that some pretty small kids who havent gotten strong yet are spanking women with many years more experience and full factory support. Why? I dont know.
hah hah...you haven't been to a Junior X podium recently by chance? Travis Bond, Cody Warren, Cory Gustafson...they got spots reserved on the varsity if they want.:love:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
biker3 said:
Not to mention that just about every single genetic predisposition women have goes completally against the sport.
whoa.
women that ride or race downhill, kick ass.

i don't think any body expects them to compete against us.
or for that matter, us to compete against them.

there's room on the mt. for all.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
dhbuilder said:
whoa.
women that ride or race downhill, kick ass.

i don't think any body expects them to compete against us.
or for that matter, us to compete against them.

there's room on the mt. for all.
Im not hating, just stating the facts. All the more props to women for doing it. Genetics just aren't on their side moreso for a sport like DH.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
biker3 said:
Im not hating, just stating the facts. All the more props to women for doing it. Genetics just aren't on their side moreso for a sport like DH.
And the slam dunk defense: I hope in your last event, your time was better than every woman there....

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
sanjuro said:
And the slam dunk defense: I hope in your last event, your time was better than every woman there....

Yeah not kidding. I stopped counting the number of time I got spanked silly by fast girls. And I love it too :love:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
biker3 said:
I think the big thing is that you can find a thousand reasons to say women can't race dh, and the next thing you know is that there are no more women racing dh.

On the other hand, there are all kinds of naysayers about Danica Patrick and Michelle Wie, and they are able to compete with the men.

I think it is easy to throw roadblocks in the way of women's dh (there are plenty already). Yes, the top man in every discpline of cycling is faster than the top woman, and I won't need the intranet to figure it out. But being supportive is not just stating the facts and leaving it at that. It is trying to do something about it.

If nothing at all, I have never heard the word "ghey" come from a female dh'er. That gets my support.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
biker3 said:
Of course, I raced the national series last year, Im 17 and I assure you I have money where my mouth it.
You mean Pruitt did not beat you by 25 seconds in Snowmass? or 20 seconds a Brian Head?
(Yeah Norba keep times, it's fun and handy to look back)

(You're still fast but dont knock down on the girls too much ;) )

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Mani_UT said:
You mean Pruitt did not beat you by 25 seconds in Snowmass? or 20 seconds a Brian Head?
(Yeah Norba keep times, it's fun and handy to look back)

(You're still fast but dont knock down on the girls too much ;) )
Here we go with this, don't get into it. Im hardly what you'd call fast and I didn't even come close to insinuating that in earlier posts, Snowmass and Brian Head were disasterous runs, look how far back I am in the pack.

Read my posts. What I said was scientific fact, I by no means am calling out pro women or any other women regarding me or my race times. I am giving props for crying out loud, I meant that in a sport like DH where physical strength is a HUGE HUGE part where as a sport like basketball it isn't so much, its all the more sweet that women compete. Please just drop it, this doesn't have to turn into another Kote Driscall thread, cause that's not at all what I was directing at.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
biker3 said:
Here we go with this, don't get into it. Im hardly what you'd call fast and I didn't even come close to insinuating that in earlier posts, Snowmass and Brian Head were disasterous runs, look how far back I am in the pack.
Don't worry about it. it was a joke. ;)
I get your point.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
sanjuro said:
On the other hand, there are all kinds of naysayers about Danica Patrick and Michelle Wie, and they are able to compete with the men.

If nothing at all, I have never heard the word "ghey" come from a female dh'er. That gets my support.
What do these two arguments have ANYTHING to do with what we're talking about. Danica Patrick gives next to NO physical exertion in her sport. If anything she is at an advantage because of her weight. Her amount of strength has nothing to do with shifting at the right time, picking lines, turning the steering wheel in one direction and pushing a gas pedal. I'd say riding a DH course, muscling a 40ibs bike and powering it with your own strength is slightly different.

Michelle Wie is insane, but to say she "competes" with the men is a bit of an overstatement. She continues to try to qualify for men's events with little success.

Saying the word "ghey"? I'm not catching your drift, what's the connection?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Mani_UT said:
Don't worry about it. it was a joke. ;)
I get your point.
No doubt, you bailed me out last year, I got no hard feelings. The inernet is highly limited in sarcasm and getting ones point across, so I just want to make sure my motives and comments are clear. Especially before the femanist bandwagon hops on and turns me into Mr. shovanist who says he has never lost to a women.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
for some perspective...

some of my proudest moments at the national were watching expert dh practice/race and seeing that i rode the technical section cleaner than a lot of the guys.

i really don't think that any of the guys out there doubt that girls racing dh is cool...i have gotten so many adoring looks from complete strangers when i tell them that i race/ride dh. a majority of girls out there will always be slower than the guys, but most girls i know don't race to try to beat the guys' times.

so my request for the guys out there is to keep cheering and clapping, giving advice and being positive. encourage the females you know to keep riding and racing...and for goodness sakes, if there is a girl (or guy for that matter) riding down a course in front of you during practice and you want to get around, be polite (no swearing needed) :love: i saw such displays of pure rudeness this weekend...unless of course that person refuses to let you around :rolleyes:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Man this thread started out about A DH race and now a bunch of you politicaly correct hens have to go and read into it something else.

fact: women aren't as strong as men. This does not mean they are unable to do ANYTHING, it is just a fact of nature.

now flip on Oprah and feel empowered.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
offtheedge said:
Man this thread started out about A DH race and now a bunch of you politicaly correct hens have to go and read into it something else.

fact: women aren't as strong as men. This does not mean they are unable to do ANYTHING, it is just a fact of nature.

now flip on Oprah and feel empowered.
Exactly what I was trying to say, but you took care of it in a few sentences. PC is a big reason why our country is in shambles.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I'm not so sure strength plays that large of a role in dh. Sure there needs to be a base strength level, but "muscling" around a 40lb bike is something that even skinny people do just fine. In all reality it should be more of "finessing" a 40lb bike... I'm guessing the main issue is just testosterone. I think individuals such as Missy Giove had a wee bit more than average and that puts them at an advantage.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
stephanie said:
agreed...

women as strong as men: no

women as gifted as men: yes
amen!
it takes huge huevos to pilot a bike down a mountain no matter what sex you are.
women have all the talent and desire as men, plus all the good soft qualities that men can't pull off. I mean come on, boobs!?!?!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
stephanie said:
and for goodness sakes, if there is a girl (or guy for that matter) riding down a course in front of you during practice and you want to get around, be polite (no swearing needed) :love:
if she's cute I usually just follow behind till she stops or I can easily make a pass.

(and I think all DH girls are cute, too...)

:love:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
biker3 said:
What do these two arguments have ANYTHING to do with what we're talking about. Danica Patrick gives next to NO physical exertion in her sport. If anything she is at an advantage because of her weight. Her amount of strength has nothing to do with shifting at the right time, picking lines, turning the steering wheel in one direction and pushing a gas pedal. I'd say riding a DH course, muscling a 40ibs bike and powering it with your own strength is slightly different.

Michelle Wie is insane, but to say she "competes" with the men is a bit of an overstatement. She continues to try to qualify for men's events with little success.

Saying the word "ghey"? I'm not catching your drift, what's the connection?
Danica Patrick received all kinds of crap before showing some success at last year Indy 500. Wie made the final cut of her first mens event last week, not bad for a 16 year old.

Pointing out women are not as fast as the men, well it is a pretty obvious fact. But women can ride the same lines as the men, and more women will ride bigger and bigger as long we continue to support them.

And I just hate the word "ghey".