Quantcast

For all watch freaks... how awesome is this...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

the breitling emergency....

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/

they just got a few in stock in the breitling dealer in town.... damn, am gonna sell my blood to get one....

So if you're totally screwed, and in need of rescue, just grab the big knob at about the 5 o'clock position and turn it until it snaps.
Then you can pull out the 17 inch wire antenna coiled inside. (How 007 is that?!)

The watch will then transmit a SOS on 121.5 MHz for 48 hours. That could be handy.

Two British adventurers whose helicopter crashed in the Antarctic in January were found by Chilean rescuers via transmitters in their Breitling Emergency watches.

Steven Brooks and Hugh Quentin-Smith were flying from Chile to Antarctica on the final leg of a pole-to-pole journey. Brooks called his wife when the men boarded an emergency dinghy after the crash. “While they were waiting for rescue, they activated their Breitling Emergency watches, which gave rescuers their location,” says Lisa Roman, head of Breitling USA communications. Both men wore the watch, though the expedition was not connected to Breitling. A Chilean Otter aircraft honed in on the signals and located the men.

The watch, which Breitling introduced in the United States following Federal Aviation Administration approval in 1999, contains a microtransmitter that sends a signal on the international aviation distress frequency. Initially sold only to pilots, the timepiece is now available to the general public also. Each buyer is required to register with the FAA. In Europe, the watch has been linked to 17 rescues since its introduction there in 1995.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ALEXIS_DH said:
So if you're totally screwed, and in need of rescue, just grab the big knob at about the 5 o'clock position and turn it until it snaps.
Then you can pull out the 17 inch wire antenna coiled inside. (How 007 is that?!)

The watch will then transmit a SOS on 121.5 MHz for 48 hours. That could be handy.
Haha that thing would be great unless your drinking pal decided to engage it while you're passed out somewhere.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Jayridesacove said:
just don't go walking around a place like South Philly flashing that around.
Eh, if you get mugged just pull out your rescue antenna and wait for help. :rolleyes: It'll be there in 48 hours. Ask the crooks to hold off while you pull out your 17 inches.

Seriously, if I owned it, I'd break off that knob just from all the fidgeting with things I'd do, then i'd be in trouble.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Barbaton said:
Eh, if you get mugged just pull out your rescue antenna and wait for help. :rolleyes: It'll be there in 48 hours. Ask the crooks to hold off while you pull out your 17 inches.

Seriously, if I owned it, I'd break off that knob just from all the fidgeting with things I'd do, then i'd be in trouble.
i dont think so... that watch seemed like a tough mofo when i went to check it out.... those breitling bezels and knobs are hardcore.

i have a friend who use another breitling as his daily watch... and he has even used the watch while operating heavy machinery caterpillars!!! and digging holes, and unclogging river channels.
and the watch still works flawlessly, (very scratched tough)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
ALEXIS_DH said:
i dont think so... that watch seemed like a tough mofo when i went to check it out.... those breitling bezels and knobs are hardcore.

i have a friend who use another breitling as his daily watch... and he has even used the watch while operating heavy machinery caterpillars!!! and digging holes, and unclogging river channels.
and the watch still works flawlessly, (very scratched tough)
Well it sounds to me like you twist until something breaks, and then you can pull. I have a very good track record at doing just that inadvertantly. :p

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
actually, i have a question

if you should ever have to use it, is it possible to have it reset and the antenna repacked? or do you have to toss the whole watch?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
That is one sweet looking watch, plus it can come in handy if i fall in the tub and cant get up... now i can get rid of my LIFE CALL

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've never been a big fan of Breitling, but I could see how that feature might be handy, especially for someone who does a lot of solo expedition type stuff. Just my opinion, but that thing is fugly.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I've heard that there's some HUGE fine if you accidentally set that thing off. I wanna say like 25k...

The owner of Elite Bicycles, David Greenfield, was in the LBS and he had one on. Pretty big watch.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
rpk1988 said:
Whats retail on that puppy. Too bad it doesnt have a wire in it to choke bad guys. That would be 007.
You won't need a wire. All you have to do is rotate that thing onto your knuckles and cuff the bad guys w/ it. Prob knock his ass into next week! A Bentley of a brass knuckle!

Edit: you hand will be in a cast for a few weeks, but your assailant will need facial reconstructive surgery :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jimmy_Pop said:
" ...... f'ing cool, i'm lost, freezing, hungry and i finally get to use my watch."
Exactly. Note how both of them activated their watches, after making a phone call to the wife, instead of seeing if someone responded to the first one(before blowing their backup all at once). That's like shooting off all your rescue flares at once!

Brooks called his wife when the men boarded an emergency dinghy after the crash. “While they were waiting for rescue, they activated their Breitling Emergency watches, which gave rescuers their location,” says Lisa Roman, head of Breitling USA communications.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Pau11y said:
You won't need a wire. All you have to do is rotate that thing onto your knuckles and cuff the bad guys w/ it. Prob knock his ass into next week! A Bentley of a brass knuckle!

Edit: you hand will be in a cast for a few weeks, but your assailant will need facial reconstructive surgery :D
Hahaha sweet. Very sweet. Anyone want to loan me the money so I can protect myself with one of those....:thumb:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
jacksonpt said:
I've never been a big fan of Breitling, but I could see how that feature might be handy, especially for someone who does a lot of solo expedition type stuff. Just my opinion, but that thing is fugly.
my dad collects watches and he didnt like breitling either. plus he has a thing against quartz watches too...

but when we went to check them out, and heard the "novelty" from the salesguy he was like "awesome!!!". plus they had another set of emergencies with different dials... kinda like the rolex daytonas.... that look much better and less sporty.

retail here in Peru is 3900 bucks for the least expensive one (that is no taxes and cash only) up to 21000 bucks for the gold one they had. quite expensive for a quarz watch...

i would say they are a bit more expensive in the US...

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
MtnbikeMike said:
I've heard that there's some HUGE fine if you accidentally set that thing off. I wanna say like 25k...

The owner of Elite Bicycles, David Greenfield, was in the LBS and he had one on. Pretty big watch.

:stupid:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
HarryCallahan said:
Yeah, I know in the movies, Q always fixes him up with something flashy. But I remember in the books he wore a plain, stainless steel Rolex.

dude!, the james bond rolex is nicknamed after him..

its the steel rolex submariner.

same with paul newman. there is a rolex nicknamed after him (a very expensive, collectors watch). that is the steel daytona from the 60s.

same with the che guevara. the steel GMT master 2.

and dont think because its steel its plain. some steel daytonas are worth way more than the gold daytonas equivalents.... because they are very rare, and very in demand.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My Dad just gave me his 1983 Rolex Submariner for my college graduation. I took it down to the local Rolex dealer and it was appraised at $7500. My pa paid $1800 for it in 1983. I never knew Rolexes increased in value.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Kanter said:
My Dad just gave me his 1983 Rolex Submariner for my college graduation. I took it down to the local Rolex dealer and it was appraised at $7500. My pa paid $1800 for it in 1983. I never knew Rolexes increased in value.

of course dude!!!
specially the daytonas. steel daytonas!, those mofos increase their value a lot. and limited editions even more.

my dad got a paul newman daytona for like 8k a lot of years ago... our local rolex dealer says we can get at least 25k in the US market....

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
ALEXIS_DH said:
dude!, the james bond rolex is nicknamed after him..

its the steel rolex submariner.

same with paul newman. there is a rolex nicknamed after him (a very expensive, collectors watch). that is the steel daytona from the 60s.

same with the che guevara. the steel GMT master 2.

and dont think because its steel its plain. some steel daytonas are worth way more than the gold daytonas equivalents.... because they are very rare, and very in demand.
I'm familiar with the submariner and GMT model names. I never heard them called the James Bond or Che Guevara models. But I could see why a dealer might market them that way, or is that a collector thing? No matter.

I think the Submariner is a good looking watch. Not flashy, but good looking, and built to last.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
HarryCallahan said:
I'm familiar with the submariner and GMT model names. I never heard them called the James Bond or Che Guevara models. But I could see why a dealer might market them that way, or is that a collector thing? No matter.

I think the Submariner is a good looking watch. Not flashy, but good looking, and built to last.
not that every submariner or every gmt is a bond or guevara.
they call the james bond only exact old submariner used in the first james bond movies.
and the che guevara is the one that he was wearing when he was killed. i think it was a 1675. its more of a collectors thing, a nickname for an specific model number.

and yup, the submariner is my favourite, the steel and gold with blue dial :drool: i got one when i turned 18.
and the steel daytona being my very close all time favorite because they are so distintive from far and because they always gain value....

unlike yellow gold watches... which around here in Peru are the typical "am a drug kingpin" or "am a corrupt politician" watch...