Quantcast

Fork bushing replacement 2023

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Has anyone done bushings replacement for the forks? What options there are for replacement bushings more than Fox or ND Tuned? Any experiences on ND tuned set?

For the tool I think and it seems it would be possible to use headset bearing removal tool (cheap ala aliexpress). 600 euros tool is not this time an option. There's also some diy models with modified washers.

I would like to change the bushings to my Cane Creek Helm fork because it got a little scratch during service (no idea how that's possible with pressurized air or washing with water..).

I have the stock Rockshox Gold 35RL that should have been sent back for guarantee lowerleg replacement for tight bushings but I neved dit. I guess I could use that as training piece and if the works use it for some other bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have pulled them out using washers ground to an oval shape, they came out fine.

I put the new ones in poorly then threw the fork out, so I can't help there.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Thought about it.
Looked into the burnishing tool as well.
Ended up taking advantage of S4's new years special of 20% off.

New bushings, aligned and honed, with fancy green SKF seals, shipping and taxes for 125 Canuckistani Pesos.

The CCDB on the DH bike was way overdue for a service and when I noticed S4 had a 20% off everything sale well... I had just pulled the Avy cartridge and Smashpot out of the trail fork to do a service and travel change. What the hell, so I sent the fork uppers and lowers along when the shock went in for service. Will have to put it all back together now, and then wait for spring to see if it seems any better. The fork uppers will now slowly drop when pushed, before it took a bit of a nudge then light but constant pressure to compress it.

The fork feels real smoove, and the shock also no longer makes weird swishy noises so I'm all :banana:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I have pulled them out using washers ground to an oval shape, they came out fine.

I put the new ones in poorly then threw the fork out, so I can't help there.
Yup, DIY tool for bushing removal is super simple to make. Putting new ones correctly, is a whole new story :D It's a good practice to size them properly (burnishing?) after putting them in...
1675719829911.png
1675719849382.png

1675719868382.png
1675719879823.png