Quantcast

Fork offset

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by FlipSide, Mar 21, 2018.

1. FlipSide

FlipSide Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 133
    It is not unreasonable to think I will upgrade my bike in the next few months and there are fairly high chances I will go for a custom build, as I always did for the past 16 years.

The new 2019 Lyrik RC2 is looking good to me if I go all out and move from 26" to 27.5" or 29". I just saw they are coming with different fork offset. Which one do I want for All-Mountain riding? What I ride is really a mix of everything, from lift-assisted rides with high-speed and technical stuff, to pure XC sections with important pedaling and climbing.

From what I understand, greater offset leads to a quicker handling. Based on this, I am thinking that for the riding I do (mix of everything), it would either make sense to:
    - put a fork with more offset if I go for a slack enduro frame (ex.: Devinci Spartan) to make the bike more lively for the XC parts;
    - put a fork with smaller offset on an AM frame (ex.: Devinci Troy) to make the bike more stable at speed;

Do I get this right? Should I just stop overthinking, suck it up for the climbs and go for the smaller offset no matter what and make sure sure my rips as much as possible for the fun parts?

Thanks! :monkey:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. buckoW

buckoW Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 121
    Recently, I'm really liking the low offset forks. I went the other way for a few years and even had 2 sets of 40 crowns with more offset for testing.One was angled and one was offset. It does make the steering feel lighter and the bike has less flop BUT the front tire is way less planted and steps out a lot easier. In addition, a flat corner with a high offset fork is much harder to ride fast than with low offset. It's almost like your contact patch is windshield wiper-ing around rather than pivoting in a flat corner (that probably makes no sense but at least I tried to articulate the feeling). Conclusion, I can ride harder and more confident with less offset.

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    :stupid:

in my experience, low offset forks handle better in almost all conditions, and I struggle to understand why anybody would want to "liven up" your steering in an era of super slack head angles. The window wipering analogy is a good one; I don't fully understand trail and all that, but high offset forks have always felt floppier to me (tank slapperier?), and shortening offset allowed me to more confidently put the wheel where I want it.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    20 / 270
    I have two forks with the same axle-to-crown distance but with different offsets - 44 and 46mm. 2 mm doesn't sound like much difference, but it's pretty apparent at times. It's tough to isolate the offset as a variable off-road since one is a single crown air fork and the other is a dual crown coil, but on pavement the shorter offset fork feels like it's response to steering input is more direct/lively. @buckoW 's windshield wiper analogy for the longer offset feel is pretty apt. I suspect the longer offset fork is a touch more resistant to getting knocked off line, but it's hard to say for sure it's the offset since the forks are so different.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. thad

thad Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 12
    There seem to be two trains of thought on this:

https://www.transitionbikes.com/SBG.cfm
    Transition has their SBG, where they had both Fox and Rockshox make them custom shorter offset forks, in conjunction with longer reach, slacker head angle, shorter 35mm stems.

But then, there's the new boxxer 29" with longer offset...

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Gary

Gary "S" is for "neo-luddite"

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 418
    Do you struggle to understand people who have perfectly reasonable but different preferences to yourself in any other aspects of every day life?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChrisRobin

ChrisRobin Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 29
    FWIW, I used to have a 51mm Fox 36 29er. I found if you ran a short stem, it just didn't handle well. The wheel felt like it deflected everywhere. I found a 27.5 CSU (don't remember if they're 44 or 46mm) and I found the wheel tracked better while climbing technical stuff. Going back to that short stem felt great too.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    73 / 686
    Yeah, I'm in the shorter camp too. I've got a couple 650b 36s with 26 CSUS (40mm offset) and I've got CAD drawn up to make a 37mm offset crown for a 26 40 that I really need to get around to getting made

• Like Like x 2
  9. roflbox

roflbox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    28 / 303
    When I was in Moab, I rented a medium sentinel, what they did with the fork offset and geo was pretty nice, I am quite a fan of that bike.

10. Sandwich

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    oh gary
    I understand the goal of 51mm. I get why people would want a zippy handling bike. It's the same reason I keep my bike in the "high" setting rather than the slack setting, (despite anything under 59* being unrideable on ridemonkey.) What I don't agree with and cannot see the logic of is that offset is really a shitty way of achieving something similar to adjusting head angle (despite what gary fisher and mtbr says). I haven't felt a bike with higher offset that I've liked at any speed and wheelsize, and when given the option, I'd rather stick with a steeper head angle and shorter trail to keep steering lively, or a slack head angle and short offset to keep steering stable, as the connection between hands and wheel is adversely affected by increased offset.

11. Gary

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 418
    Oh sammich
    it's not really as simple as that.
    Riding style, wheelsize, wheelbase, reach and stem length stem all play a part too.
    But even so. You know by now I don't go with what's fashionable. I go with what I like the feel of for the riding I prefer to do. If that happens to be a different to someone elses ideals. i don't really give a fuck.

#11 -   Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Udi

Udi RM Chief Ornithologist: “I Brake for Birds”

Rep/Likes:
    82 / 644
    If you have a choice, you should choose the shorter offset (as most people voted).

This might be useful if anyone wants to compare the different 36 options, or compare RS to Fox:

The numbers for the 40 are not exactly the same FYI.

This article is also interesting:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/pushing-the-limits-of-fork-offset-an-experiment-45343/

It makes a good point that reducing offset (on a frame/fork combo you're already riding) isn't necessarily better unless your frame sizing is a little on the long side for you already, because it does shorten the wheelbase - which has a far greater impact on handling than reach. A works reach-adjusting cup set could compensate this if needed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. bengxe

bengxe Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 30
    I ran my boxxer crowns backwards for a few months last year to try this reduced offset idea. The crowns are offset around 8mm, so reversing them takes the total fork offset from 46mm to 30. I liked what it did to the handling at speed, even with the reduced wheelbase. The only issue was it limited the maximum steering angle, which caused some awkward slow crashes that I otherwise could've ridden out. I've been looking for better low offset options ever since, but the industry seems to be headed in the opposite direction.

14. Olly

Olly Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 16
    Are Fox/Rockshox “just” using the CSU from the next wheel size down (ie 26” CSU on the 27.5” SBG fork)?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Floor Tom

Floor Tom Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Yes they are.

16. Flo33

Flo33 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 160
    Could you explain please? I thought the 26 CSU is a lot shorter,

compared to

I did my first ride on a recently purchased 650b 36 yesterday and it felt akward compared to my 26 36 Van I used to run with 650b wheels for the best part of a year. Both are 160 mm versions. Is the 26 CSU interchangeable with the 650b lowers, spring and damping cart?

17. Floor Tom

Floor Tom Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    Yes it is, the only part that changes is the lowers. On the recent ones anyway, not sure about older models.

18. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    73 / 686
    Yeah I remembered the 26 offset wrong. It's 37mm.

On the 2015-17 forks the CSU is fully interchangable across wheel sizes. I think that's still true for the 2018s, but they changed the float air spring for 2018 so you can't run a 2015-17 spring in a 2018 CSU, or vice versa. I think the dampers still swap.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Flo33

Flo33 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 160
    I was thinking about crown to axle height, not rake. I didn't even notice the wrong 40/37 number. I'm using a 2015 TALAS RC2, so all good.

What I found on a quick search doesn't make me happy though, >400 Euros...
    I think I will take the steering angle reducer way.

Quick calc gives me 10.56 cm lever for the restoring torque with the 650b 44 mm offset fork at 65° headangle, 37 mm 26" fork rake gives a lever of 11.26 cm. A -1.5° reducer leads to a lever of 11.40 cm with the 44 mm rake, which is close to the 37 mm numbers. Bonus: longer wheelbase.

#19 -   Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  20. Happymtb.fr

Happymtb.fr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 94
    You are referring to the trail figure, aren't you ?

21. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    74 / 960
    Interesting thoughts on offset here.

Of course, this is a "first ride" review of a brand new bike, so lots of things could be clouding his perception, but I thought it interesting nonetheless. And that he finds both positives and negatives is also refreshing. I guess it's a question of weighing both the pros and the cons, and seeing how they mesh with your riding style and preference...

• Useful Useful x 2
  22. Flo33

Flo33 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 160
    Not exactly, the lever is the distance perpendicular between the steering axle and the vertical line through the contact point of the wheel and the axle. Trail is the horizontally projected distance of this number.

#22 -   Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  23. Happymtb.fr

Happymtb.fr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 94
    Isn't that the mechanical trail then?
    image_aadbfd2d72c11fee7f6e8777a34ac6b1f240f0e3.png

24. Flo33

Flo33 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 160
  25. Kanye West

Kanye West 220# bag of hacktastic

Rep/Likes:
    15 / 145
    People really need to stop confusing "steering" response/stability/agility with "leaning" response/stability/agility while discussing offset. They are two very different things.

• Useful Useful x 1
  26. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    282 / 2,477
    i͓̽t͓̽ i͓̽s͓̽ fu͓̽l͓̽l͓̽ o͓̽f s͓̽t͓̽a͓̽r͓̽s͓̽
    I am leaning towards the same opinion. Thanks for steering this to the right direction.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Horns Horns x 1
  27. Flo33

Flo33 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 160
    Hey Hacktastic, who is confusing and why do you think so?

28. Meagann

Meagann Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    even due to my poor riding experience I can say that low offset folks are more likely to handle everything mentioned by you

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. FlipSide

FlipSide Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 133
    Thanks to all for your replies, it has been really helpful.

From what I gathered here and elsewhere, it sounds like lower offset is the new longer reach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. rideit

rideit Bob the Builder

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 682
    What does a bot say?

31. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    147 / 1,314
    I like longer offset forks climbing at 4mph. That's the only place I like them. Kinda like bigger wheels.

32. Sandwich

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    to clarify from earlier, I'm not looking for a zero offset fork, but rather that we've overcorrected in the push to big wheels, and shortening that offset will give us more stability that we used to have with 26" wheels that has gone away a bit with big ones and high offset.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Gary

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 418
    Patience son.

EVENBIGGERWHEELZ™ will be along soon enough to sort your issues.

;)

34. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    217 / 1,940
    49ers?

35. Sandwich

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    what we really need is a new bottom bracket standard.

36. roflbox

roflbox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    28 / 303
    handle bar diameter

37. Sandwich

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    Pedal thread diameter

• Horns Horns x 2
  38. roflbox

roflbox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    28 / 303
    proprietary fasteners, and new thread pitch standards on screws.

39. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    217 / 1,940
    Yes, let's go to British Standard Whitworth.

40. Sandwich

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    54 / 545
    Torx? Let's just round it out and make everybody use ez-outs to loosen anything.

• Useful Useful x 2