Quantcast

fork ride quality?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is there a ride quality difference between a typical road fork and an all-terrain fork. (let's assume they're on the same bike, same components and such)

-

typical road fork - all-terrain fork​

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
shape/rake and material will make a difference.

<edit> do you have links for the forks you're thinking about?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
shape/rake and material will make a difference.

<edit> do you have links for the forks you're thinking about?
No, just wondering if here is a generic description of the differences. Let's assume the material is identical.

Does one absorb more noise? Does one corner better than the other? Things like that?

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
sure there is a difference in forks. i'm pretty sure that a Monster T will soak up bumps better than a Easton SL :brows: . seriously though, what leads to the question? what you thinkin about doin?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm interested in the 2008 Raleigh Soujourn touring bike that I would use primarily as a road bike -- take off fenders and rack, put on more appropriate tires. But I've never ridden a bike with such a fork.

see http://www.interbike.com/ib/photos/stylus/10343.pdf
You're killing me, how many bikes do you have?? On topic, I don't think one will transfer vibration more than the other...they are different style forks for different purposes. Touring forks have the rack mounts, sometimes canti mounts (in this case disc) and so the design is different than a standard road fork. Thats my opinion/e-speculation

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
out of curiosty what leads you to the touring type bike over others?
Well, the big difference of a touring bike over a roadie is the mounts for fenders and racks (I like, but will only occasionally use), the longer chain stay, and the more upright seated position (long legs here).

As for the Sojourn in particular, I think it rocks. Heck, any bike that comes stock with Brooks saddle and tape must rock! :D

You're killing me, how many bikes do you have?? On topic, I don't think one will transfer vibration more than the other...they are different style forks for different purposes. Touring forks have the rack mounts, sometimes canti mounts (in this case disc) and so the design is different than a standard road fork. Thats my opinion/e-speculation
I have five bikes -- HT mtb, old roadie turned commuter/beater, old mtb turned beater, motorcycle and my new single-speed outfitted as a commuter. My custom made steel roadie that I loved was stolen and I'm trying to 'replace' it on the cheap. I probably will order a new custom frame and transfer as many usuable components from my old roadie.

I appreciate your speculation. You're saying that, while climbing a mountain at 5mph or bombing down it at 50mph, not much difference in feel and function between the two style forks?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, it's all moot until I see the geometry numbers on these new bikes. I wonder if I can get my LBS to get Raleigh to send a bike with an uncut steerer tube so I can get it a little longer.

I read a great suggestion somewhere about a long steerer tube can hold two stems... put a 6-8" cut down handle bar on the lower stem to hold a handlebar bag, computers, what-have-you :)

Anywho, still would love some feedback on the different forks :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
L'oopie - steel for steel you will not notice much. The main difference is construction - less finish work and fewer initial components are required for an atb fork like you pictured.

These days a mid range carbon fiber fork is less costly to produce than a quality steel road fork.

I think Serotta now charges a $350.00 premium for a traditional steel road fork.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK.

Barcons rock for touring but may be too far away from brake levers - simultaneous use in traffic during emergency situations may be difficult. But since you already have a commuter... non issue.

Brooks as OEM... about time.

Leather bar tape has its devotees - splat & wife love theirs.

Disc brakes should be standard on all bikes - my next road bike will sport them.

I'd be concerned that the drive train is geared towards touring; widely spaced cassettes are fine for all day touring but would not be so fun for spirited sprinting.

I feel bad that your much loved custom frame was boffed - maybe your wife can get a second job evenings an weekends...?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That does suck that your WaltWorks got stolen, but keep us posted on whaat you do end up buying.

Sounds like I'm looking for a bike very similar to what you seek. A "comfortable" road bike if you will - not a hunched over race machine.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That does suck that your WaltWorks got stolen, but keep us posted on whaat you do end up buying.

Sounds like I'm looking for a bike very similar to what you seek. A "comfortable" road bike if you will - not a hunched over race machine.
well, I'm bummed about the Raleigh Sojourn. No specs released, but a photo of it at Interbike clearly showed a Deore rear derail suggesting the entire drivetrain will be of similar quality. I know components shouldn't be really considered when buying a bike, but if I'm going to have to replace everything in a relatively short time frame, I might as well buy the custom frame and move components over from my back-up roadie.

In other words, no manufacturer makes a comfortable, upright geometry production bike*.. :(

* pavement bikes meaning roadie, touring, brevet, or long distance commuter.

I'll keep looking, but the search ends at Veloswap at the end of this month. If I find nothing, it's back to custom.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
well, I'm bummed about the Raleigh Sojourn. No specs released, but a photo of it at Interbike clearly showed a Deore rear derail suggesting the entire drivetrain will be of similar quality. I know components shouldn't be really considered when buying a bike, but if I'm going to have to replace everything in a relatively short time frame, I might as well buy the custom frame and move components over from my back-up roadie.

In other words, no manufacturer makes a comfortable, upright geometry production bike*.. :(

* pavement bikes meaning roadie, touring, brevet, or long distance commuter.

I'll keep looking, but the search ends at Veloswap at the end of this month. If I find nothing, it's back to custom.
Pricey - but Rivendell does. What about something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pricey - but Rivendell does. What about something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker?
I don't Rivendell makes a production bike that's upright enough, nor is the Surly LHT.

These bikes are too much like a standard roadie geometry for my liking.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction