Quantcast

Fork Upgrade Advice

Hammer2009

Chimp
Apr 10, 2009
Hi, I'm just getting back to biking after a long hiatus, and am looking to upgrade some parts on my old bike, and am looking for some advice, I hope I'm posting in the right place!

I have a 99 ish Scott Octane FX1, that is set up for downhilling with a Marzocchi Junior T fork.

I'm looking to set it up for more all mountain use, and am thinking of changing the fork, as I think it may be a little heavy/squidgy for uphill work (I need all the help i can get, I'm a lot older and fatter than when I stopped!), plus the bike seems to be handlebar high and seat post low with that fork, which was fine for bigger drop offs etc, but I'd like a more balanced set up now and am thinking of maybe the Rockshox Pike 454 or the Marzocchi 55 ATA as a replacement. What does anyone think of these forks?

I'm a few years out of the loop as regards gear, so any info/opinions will be much appreciated.

Also, my current wheel has the Quick release fixture, so for the 20mm axle bolt on those two forks, will I be able to swap out the current hub for a new 20mm one, or will i need to get a new wheel?

Cheers:)