Quantcast

Fort Collins area DH/freeride trails???

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I'm new to the area, and wanted to know of any good trails in the area. So far all i've found is XC singletrack...and thats kinda boring to me. any help would be appreciated...

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Well, DH and Colorado period has not been the best subject for the last couple of years but things are starting to look up the least bit. Unfortunately, however, any decent DH stuff that I know of is up the I-70 corridor so not to much as far as Ft. Collins area goes.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Well, Im sure Will and Willy could show you some riding, but it certainly wouldnt be legal. The only trails I know of around here are multi-use and boring.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, Fort Fun is anything but as far as DH/Freeride goes. Plenty of technical jive turkey trails around there if you're willing to earn your turns (pedal up hill). My personal DH fave is Wathen Trail within Horsetooth Mtn Park.

If you really want to get ambitious you can try to "re-open" the original A-Trail (not the trail that is there now, behind Hughes Stadium, but the one that "died" due to Dam (damn?) construction) It's a little left/South of the established multi-use trail that everyone uses now. You can still kinda see reminants of it if you look hard. That was a great shuttle run up over the dam and pretty darn gnarly little run if I remember correctly.

Also Beaver Meadows up by Red Feather Lakes holds CSU's DH and XC race. It may take some convincing, but who knows, maybe they'll be up for some Freeride trail building? They seem to be pretty cool people, but they are a 'resort' area (with camping, fishing, horseback riding, etc) and may have miles of red tape to cut through before anything actually happens. But if they give the green light, that would be some seriously sweet riding!!

Until anything like that happens, northern CO will just be mostly XC-ish.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've never heard of Road 34....are they the same as Mountian High Cyclery off of highway 34 in Loveland?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Ahhh....haven't been over to the Campus West area since Tangz (Tang's?) closed down! I'll have to head over there and check'em out!

THANKS!!

bike_cruz

Chimp
Dec 8, 2004
Does anyone know if the 'downhill' trails south of the A, that were buried during the damn work, have been rebuilt? If not, anyone interested in rebuilding them?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A few weeks ago I rode up to where the "real" A-trail started, the trail is still there, but there's a sign warning people not to go on it "or else" type of thing. Needless to say I'm a wimp and didn't ride it.

As far as building more trails on that hill, I personally think it would be perfect for some gnarly trails, but I also think the city of Fort Collins would NOT like to see that happen. If you build illegal trails, they'll just shut them down. I think the real answer is to get the city on your side and have them approve building of trials or re-opening the A-Trail. To make it legit, it's gonna be a pain in the a$$. But what are ya gonna do....

bike_cruz

Chimp
Dec 8, 2004
The city will never agree to new trails. They seem to be more inclined to close the existing trails. But if you would like to dump 200 gallons of white paint all over the hill, you'll get the green light.
The area is good for gnarly trails, in fact if I remember correctly there were about 5 'downhill' trails south of the A, before they started the damn work.
Good thing its hard for them to 'really' close a trail.